Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot unlock text boxes from a Master Page

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First think first: Adobe InDesign CC for MAC, OS X 10.9.1.

I got a file from a client with a lot of master pages. Now, what puzzles me is that at a point the designer used a Master page (Title on Bottom - Y) to add the text on footer, which footer is then used on the rest of the master pages. Each master page contains three layers: Text Boxes, Images, Blue Frames.

Screenshot 2014-01-08 21.48.15.png

Then, he created another master page (Z - Footers_Page#).

Now, the tricky question.

He, initially, locked the titles from the bottom which were put on layer Text Boxes. I unlock them.

Screenshot 2014-01-08 21.49.55.png

Then, I went on my document page in order to sselect that text from the footer and make it a little smaller, but only in that page, not on all pages of the document. Usually this is done by clicking on the desired text frame while pressing Command+Shift. It didn't worked.

I checked the master pages and noticed that the page I tried to change was using the Master Z. So, I thought that master might have the bottom text locked too. So, I went to that master and I noticed that the text boxes containing the footers is not locked but not even showed on any of those three layers.

Screenshot 2014-01-08 21.50.19.png

I tried Command+Shift+click on the text boxe containing the sentence ending in ... Virginia Central, in order to make it editable. No way. In layer Text Boxes they are not showed.

The only text boxes I can edit are the page numbers.

Screenshot 2014-01-08 21.50.43.png

However, when I make the Text Boxes layer invisible, all footers dissapear, including those I cannot edit at all.

Screenshot 2014-01-08 21.50.30.png

So, I start wondering. What's going on? Commands like Show all on spread, or Unlock all on spreads are grey. So, how do I edit that line on a single page.

There is an unprofessional way, but I preffer to learn before doing amateur job.

Thank you.

Sebastian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Select master Z. Do Control A to select all items on the master. On the flyout menu go to Masters Pages/Allow Master Item Overrides on Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible the frame itself is locked, even if the layer is not. Ability to select locked objects is a preference option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I trust you. However, I found none of it in InDesign Preferences, Box preferences, Window Menu, View Menu. Not even in Object Menu.

Could you be more specific?

Thanks.

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Locked Objects.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is activated by me way ago.

Screenshot 2014-01-09 00.58.58.png

Still, I cannot activate those text boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It needs to be UNchecked....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you have the file. try it. I unchecked that option. Still no chance to edit it.

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have CC installed on this computer and I don't think I'll have time to boot up the other machine tonight. Anyone else able to look at this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. It is not a problem. I appreciate your time and advises as well as anybody's else time spent on this subject.

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ellis Home had it nearly correct. That frame lives on Master Y. Go to Master Y, select the frame, right-click and choose Allow Master Item Overrrides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. It worked. Thank you. My gratitude goes to Ellis as well.

Sincerely yours,

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select master Z. Do Control A to select all items on the master. On the flyout menu go to Masters Pages/Allow Master Item Overrides on Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ellis,

I've done that. In fact I went on all master pages in order to see where else those text boxes/text frames might be locked. No chance.

Screenshot 2014-01-09 10.06.01.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a link to that page along with all the master pages build by the designer. My job was to implement translation. I delete all the text and hopefully all references related to my client or his client.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/022z5xrgfw6z8vs/test.indd

Check by yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines