Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem in Conditional tag

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear friends,

I am using conditional tag feature on one of my topics in robohelp and the topic is getting excluded from the output. However, the numbering in TOC doesn't change. For example,I have the following sections in my help file:

1.1 A

1.2 B

1.3 C

If I apply CT on 1.2 it is excluded from the output but the TOC appears as follows:

1.1 A

1.3 C

1.2 is removed but the numbering is still the same.

Can anyone help me in solving this problem. The numbering should also get modified in the TOC like:

1.1 A

1.2 C

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbering would be more like

1.1.A

1.1.B

2.1.A

2.1.B

In other words A and B (the last character in the numbering) will only appear lower down.

So your example would become

1.1.A

1.2.A

1.3.A

Ignoring that though I just tested some multilevel lists and when a paragraph is tagged out, the numbering adjusted OK.

I suspect your list is not correctly set up.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I think you misunderstood my question.

The A, b C are not the part of numbering. that was just an example of a topic.

Actually i meant:

1.1 introduction

1.2 Features

1.3 Terms and Conventions

and so on.

Now, if i remove 1.2 heading by appying conditional tag, my final TOC becomes:

1.1  Introduction

1.3 Terms and Conditions

which should actually be like :

1.1 Introduction

1.2 Terms and Conditions

Could you please help? What should i do to adjust the numbering in the TOC??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but in my test that was working as required.

Right click your CSS file and select Edit With > HTML Editor. Locate the multilevel list style and paste it here.

I am assuming you are using RoboHelp 10 as you haven't included your version in the post. Please see the sticky topic Before You Start.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I am using version 10 only.

I couldnt locate multilevel style in the css. May i paste the whole css here.

I am inserting a screenshot of the TOC of output. You can see that section 3.5.6 is missing on whihc i had applied conditional tag.

01-08-2014 5-58-47 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I missed the issue is with the TOC.

Each topic is effectively standalone as it is a single file, much like a single Word document. Thus you can apply a multi-level list within a topic but not across the titles of mulitple topics.

The numbering you are seeing is numbering that has been entered manually.

Do you really need numbering as it is more a printed document concept suited to linear documents?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yaaaaa....That is what the problem is.

Well Peter, i have made the user manual which will be delivered along with

the software in printed format. Now iI am using the same user manual to

generate a chm which will be launched from the software itself.

Do you think i should remove the numbers from heading before converting it

into chm? This way i will have to maintain two documents. Isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2014 Jan 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is the document going to be updated regularly and you are going to repeatedly import it into a new project? If it is, then maybe linking would be a better option.

You wouldn't necessarily have to have two documents. Create two documents, one with the numbered headings and one without.

When you want to update Rh, you use Word's style organiser to apply the un-numbered headings. Then you switch back.

Of course, you need to check with product management that not having numbering in online help is OK. Better still, challenge why do you need that legal type numbering at all. Sometimes it is because developers like that style of numbering too but they are not the users of the help and documents.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp