Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want to prevent title tag changing to file name when importing HTML

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2007 Apr 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When you import a HTML file into Robohelp it automatically changes the html title tag to match the file name. Is there any way to override this behavior, so it leaves the title tag as it is?

I am importing HTML files generated by a 3rd party system. They have meaningful html title tags e.g. "Patient Care", but meaningless file names eg. "ab22254.htm".

I want to generate WebHelp. The problem is that the Search tab shows found topics in a list by their titles, so instead of getting "Patient Care" in such a list I am now getting "ab22254".

I cannot easily change the filenames in the 3rd party system and besides this problem I have no reason for doing so. (I do not need meaningful names in order to generate the TOC as I start by importing a HTML Help project that includes a TOC that works with the autogenerated filenames.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adrian

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2007 Apr 30, 2007
That is something that only Adobe can answer so you will have to contact Customer Support. Explain that the issue with RH6 prevents you from using it.

For what it is worth, I have alerted Adobe to this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adrian and welcome to our community

You will probably need to edit these manually. I'm just guessing here, but probably the automatic generation process that created these files did not include a Title tag attribute. So RoboHelp is probably compensating by using the File Name as the new tag that didn't exist before.

Sincerely... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the welcome Rick! Until this week, the last time I used RoboHelp was 12 years ago, so expect plenty more questions :-)

The title tags WERE present in the original HTML files. You can do the test yourself easily enough...just take any html file on your pc, set the title tag different to the file name, and then import it; you will see RoboHelp changes the title to match the file name. I guess it thinks it is doing us a favour and in most cases this is probably right...but not in mine.

Editing the title tags manually is a big problem because of our workflow. The HTML files are created via a single source workflow using FrameMaker and Mif2go: we just use RoboHelp to create the final WebHelp after importing them. Being a single source workflow means that we can expect the HTML files to change multiple times during the project (outside RoboHelp). Importing them into RoboHelp after each such change is trivial and what we had expected to do. However, now it seems we have to do much more than that--we will not really be able to set the title tags until the final compilation and if it turns out not to be final (e.g errors found or a new software build that we need to document in our help) then we will have to re-import the HTML files and reset the title tags all over again i.e. we would be breaking away from single sourcing. But if the import behavior can't be changed, then I guess we have no choice...

Cheers,

Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported a topic with a different title to the filename and RH X5 left them untouched. Send me a file that has not worked for you and I'll try with that. Contact me via my site.

What version of RH are you using?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

I have the trial version of RH6. A colleague has the full version of RH6. The issue happens to both of us. The problem is not specific to the HTML file; the same happens with any html file we try, even ones created in RoboHelp itself.

Another colleague has RH5. She will check if the problem occurs for her too.

Just to clarify this, I am talking about the <title> tag in the <head> element changing. We are testing this by opening any HTML file in Notepad, making sure it has a title tag different to its file name, closing it in Notepad, and then importing it into RoboHelp.

If you are not seeing this behavior then there is something about your setup that is different to ours and I haven't got a clue what that could be unless RoboHelp introduced this behavior as an "enhancement".

I'll get back when I find out what happens on our RH5 machine.

Cheers,

Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a RH6 thing. I just tried again with RH6 and see the same result you are getting.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Follow-on question...if you have RH6 installed, could the licence cover RH5 (instead) and if so how would you go about downgrading given that Adobe no longer sells RH5?

Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is something that only Adobe can answer so you will have to contact Customer Support. Explain that the issue with RH6 prevents you from using it.

For what it is worth, I have alerted Adobe to this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2007 May 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks a lot for your help Peter!

Adrian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp