• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

bullet and numbered lists indent

Apr 30, 2007 Apr 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I am using RH HTML x5.01 to produce webhelp. In RH HTML, the bulleted and numbered lists are automatically indented from the left (even though the left margin for the bullet style is 0) and I want to align the lists with the left margin in the body text .

This topic was covered previously in this forum (in General Discussion - "List indentation" Created On 12/07/2004 10:30:22 AM ); however, when I click the link to the post that answered the question, it says something like "Error, object not found".

If someone knows the answer or can point me to the post that originally answered question, that would be great.
thank you
Nadine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link is probably to an even older thread that has been wiped. Can you please create a link to the post with the faulty link? Perhaps that will enable someone to help.

Otherwise you need to experiment with the UL and LI tags but remember the LI tag also applies to items in a numbered list.

Take a look at http://www.w3schools.com

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Here is the original topic:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=447&threadid=930808&ar...

I am working in RH HTML using bullet and numbered styles. I am not familiar with coding a CSS - yet.

thx
Nadine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2007 May 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not familiar with CSS, it is going to be a bit tricky.

The OL tag controls the overall appearance of a numbered list. OL stands for Ordered List.

The UL tag controls the overall appearance of a bulleted list. UL stands for Unordered List.

LI controls the appearance of List Items and applies to both types of list which can make getting the list you want a little difficult at times. You may make a change that gets the bullets and numbers aligned but then find the text in the two list types is no longer aligned. That may or may not bother you. Also watch out in numbered lists. Get it perfectly aligned to the left margin and the first nine items will be OK, get to number 10 and the 1 might be too far left. It's trial and error.

You need to visit the link I gave you where you will find out how style sheets work. Then create a new project and use that to learn with rather than messing with your main project.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CSS 3 uses contextual/descendant selectors, which are supported in the IE 5.5 & 6, Mozilla 1.7, Opera 7.5, and Safari 1.2 browsers. descendant means an element that is a child, grandchild, etc. of another element (that is, an element nested within an outer element ).

Therefore, you can separately adjust the LI tags for the UL and OL tags in your CSS file as in the attached code. Note that I'm showing the same values for margins and paddings; you'd have to experiment with these for your particular needs, as Peter implied.

Of course, those styles can be superceded by additional classes in the CSS or specific styling in individual topics. For instance, to set up a different look for the last list item in an unnumbered list, see the attached code.

See the w3schools link that Peter provided; better yet, get yourself a good CSS book. Keep in mind the following about Cascading Style Sheets:

Styles in the CSS are superceded by
Styles in the HEAD section of topics, which are superceded by
Styles at the elements inside the BODY section of topics.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks Peter and Leon. I really appreciate the time you take and the great information.
I need to learn some CSS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp