7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2014 11:16 AM by jnblack

Saving MXF clips to MXF container

jnblack Level 1

I am completing a 52-minute program, with 20 short sequences shot in ProRes 422 (50 Mbps) and saved to MXF OP1a files. The package looks good when output to Blu-Ray, but I will need to output for broadcast, and the broadcaster prefers MXF deliberables. My Question: Is there any significant loss of quality by saving 20 MXF files (with dozens of ProRes clips) to a final MXF container?

Thanks for your feedback,

-- Jim

• 1. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
          Jim_Simon Level 9

The container won't matter, but most broadcast MXF use MPEG compression.  That will matter, but there's also not mich you can do about it.

• 2. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
            jnblack Level 1

Thank you for the quick response. Along the way I have saved a few segments to "Match Sequence Settings" and I saw that these files output as MPEG. One interesting note, however, is that when combined in a PrPro sequence, the MPEG output is fuzzier and less stable than the output I've been getting with MXF.

So it sounds like -- ProRes > MXF > MXF Wrapper -- is my best bet.

Thanks for the info ....

-- Jim

• 3. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
              Jim_Simon Level 9

You're still confusing two issues.  ProRes is a codec, MXF is a container.  You can have many different codecs in the MXF container, and which codec you use for any given purpose will matter.

• 4. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
                Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

If you have exact specifications from the broadcaster as to how you should deliver the content, please post them. That will make if much easier to recommend export settings.

• 5. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
                  jnblack Level 1

Thanks, Mark ...

File Specs:

XDCAM HD 422 (50 Mbps)

1920 1080i  29.97 fps  (16:9)

MPEG-2 Long GOP

Container: MXF OP1a

We've been shooting to this standard all along, editing the MPEG clips in one- to two-minute subject-related files, and wrapping each in MXF. Now, at the end of the project, I just want to be sure that wrapping all 20 files in one big MXF container is the best way to go.

• 6. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
                    Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Okay, so the export settings to use are

• Format: MXF OP1a
                    • Preset: XDCAMHD 50 NTSC 60i

But I gather that's not really the essence of your query. Rather, if I understand correctly, here's the workflow you describe:

1. edit a series of 1-2 minute sequences
                    2. export each chapter to the settings above
                    3. round-trip the resulting exports into PPRO
                    4. collect the chapters in a sequence
                    5. export the big sequence to the same settings.

If I got that much right, then I'd advise Steps 2&3. Instead, nest the sequences from Step 1 into a single sequence. That eliminates the generational degradation that you're wisely concerned about.

Of course, if you want a standalone clip for each chapter, then go ahead and perform Step 2. Just don't round-trip those outputs back into the project for further editing.

• 7. Re: Saving MXF clips to MXF container
                      jnblack Level 1

Excellent advice, Mark. Thanks for the feedback. I've still got some time, so I'll give both of these suggestions a try. If I screw it up, I'll trust the broadcaster to fix it I

Regards,

-- Jim