• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

720p 120fps clip from GoPro Hero3 Black not recogniced by Premiere Pro CS6

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. My clip from Hero3 Black Gopro isn't recognized as a 120fps clip. I've read people saying that this is normal because premiere pro won't recognize them for anyone.. But it does, look at this clip:

http://youtu.be/YeHCUNH4KcM

At around second 30 it shows how it recognizes that the file is actually 120fps, in that same screen, I get that the file is 59,94fps and not 120fps and it really is.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

If anybody is still interested in this.

What solved the problem for me, is download the gopro studio 2.0 edit software (http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio)

then import your file there export it with the option for further editing or archiving, import that file into premiere, or after effects

and it will recognize it with 120fps!

not a video codec expert, new file is CineForm avi, don't know if there's any loss in quality

peace

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drag the clip into the New item Icon to create a new sequence that matches the footage.

It will treat the clip as 120 fps.

New Item Icon.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still displays as 59,94fps footage... I'm going to download a 120fps file and see if the problem is in the file that GoPro didn't really record at 120fps even though it's correctly set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about CS6, but there have been other messages about the difficulty of editing GoPro

GoPro http://forums.adobe.com/message/4486784

-and http://gopro.com/software-app/cineform-studio/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I've tested some and this is what I've found.

When I import a wvga 240fps clip, premiere recognises it as a 240fps clip:

But when I import a 720p 120fps wide or narrow clip it won't recognise it as a 120fps clip, instead it thinks it's a 59,94fps clip:

Both under same settings.

Still no clue of what's going on... anyone with this camera can test this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information. When I right click over the file it shows as 119 frames per second. So the problem is that premiere somehow doesn't recognise the format when in 720p. It's different with WVGA though.

Captura.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am seeing this issue too. HD Hero3 black edition and Premiere Pro CS6 on Windows 7. I have tested several resolutions and frame rates and 720p 120fps is the only one it does not recognize. At first I thought it didn't like anything above 60 fps because I couldn't create a custom sequence above that. However when I use the other high framerate clips I tested such as the 848x480 240fps clip and the 1280x960 100fps clip, they display fine and when you create a sequence from them it carries over the correct framerate to the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the framerate on the camera set as "variable?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is not. The camera does not have a variable setting, it is locked into settings based on the resolution. I can provide sample files if that is helpful.

There is a chart of supported resolutions and framerates here: http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition#specs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created a few sample files for anyone interested. These files are straight from the camera.

Here is a 1280 x 720 at 60 fps: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92935787/1280x720%2059fps.MP4

Here is a 1280 x 720 at 120 fps: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92935787/1280x720%20119fps.MP4

Here is a 1280 x 960 at 100 fps: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92935787/1280x960%20100fps.MP4

Import these into Premiere Pro CS6 or even Media Encoder CS6 or After Effects, have a look at the metadata and both of the 720p videos will show up as 60 (59.94) fps. I tried this in Premiere Pro CS5 and had the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why it is showing it wrong. But there is any easy fix.

If you put both your actual 59.94 and your 119 into a 59.94 sequence, then you mark how long a second takes to tick down on the clock, in the 59.94 it is 1 second. In the 119 it is about 2 seconds for an actual second in real time to pass. So it is seeing all the frames, just getting the frame rate wrong and therefore playing the 119 clips in slow motion.

Easy fix, is you right click on a selection of the wrong clips, go to modify-interpret footage- and tell it to assume the frame rate of 119 or 120 or whatever it should be. Then the clips will play down at normal speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that worked! It is good to know it sees all the frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys this is all good but when i reintepret the  119.88 footage that pp cant recognise from Gopro3 which is now back to normal on the speed side of things but not the audio portion, sounds like a chipmunk?

not sure what to do if u want to keep the audio, is 120fps usuable in cs5.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem.. and nobody could answer me about the audio playing too fast when changing the framerate..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1213072?tstart=210

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what you need, click on a clip or a group of clips in the project

panel. Instead of using interpret footage and changing the frame rate.

Right click and go to where it says speed. Then change the speed

appropriately. So for 120fps going into a 23.976 timeline it would be

set to 20%, then click maintain audio pitch. Then they will come into

your timelines already set to 20% which would be the same as

interpreting to 23.976.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for me the sound is still too fast and sounds like a chipmunk.

i have uploaded a clip, if someone wants to test..

http://depositfiles.com/files/keeticx5d

Edit: This it was it looks like in Magix..so easy it could be.

http://666kb.com/i/cefr4g1t2jn96ycv5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, the weird thing for me is though that when i shoot in 720 @120fps whilst in one button mode Premiere recognises the file as 119.00 fps. I have tried different SD cards its quite annoying.

fps.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anybody is still interested in this.

What solved the problem for me, is download the gopro studio 2.0 edit software (http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio)

then import your file there export it with the option for further editing or archiving, import that file into premiere, or after effects

and it will recognize it with 120fps!

not a video codec expert, new file is CineForm avi, don't know if there's any loss in quality

peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2014 Jan 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this will work. The format gopro uses in their software is high quality (and won't be as CPU-intensive for decoding as the mp4's the camera gives you), but you're always going to get a generational loss of quality when you convert a file. It's not huge and doing it once won't affect the overall quality of your video in a very noticable way but you should know it is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For PrPr v.5, when importing 720p 120fps from the Hero3 Black, here's what I've found:  The problem is isolated to the wide FOV camera settings.
At 720p, two Field of View (FOV) choices are available: Narrow or Wide

1) For 720p 120fps narrow, PrPr had no problems recognizes the file as 119 fps

2) For 720p 120fps wide, PrPr misinterpreted the footage as 59.94 fps

I wanted to slow down the footage so that it wouldn't appear jerky.  Two methods for fixing this issue are mentioned above.  One was to use the speed settings on the time line.  This resulted in jerky motion.  The better solution for me was to reinterpret footage as 119 fps (right clikd the file | Modify . .  . | interpret footage... | select the radio button "Assume this frame rate: | in the empty field, type 119 | click the OK button).

By doing this, I was able to successfully reset the speed on the timeline to 10%; and, the resulting motion, an object tossed into frame, was smooth.

modify clip.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines