• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC wont quit

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running a brand new Creative Cloud install on a Windows 7 machine...

Every time I run Premiere Pro CC and then close the program, it "appears" to have closed. However when I try to run it again it won't launch a second time. When I bring up the Task Manager, Premiere doesn't show as running in the "Applications" tab, but it does show up in the "Processes" tab... and it's hogging down a ton of memory.

So, I have to force the process to terminate, then I can launch Premiere again. But, as soon as I exit Premiere, the problem is right back again. Pretty frustrating to have to bring up the task manager and kill a process every time you want to exit a program.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, how much time passes between closing and attempting to relaunch the app, and how big is your project? What I'm thinking is that it's conceivable that Premiere is just taking a while to close down. Not likely, but conceivable, so worth considering.

More likely, the process is hanging for some reason. At the risk of stating the obvious, that's not normal.

Are you working with an project that you started in CS6 or earlier? If so, please try creating a new project. Save the blank project and close. Does the process hang?

If not, then the next test I'd try is to load the new, blank project, use Media Browser to find the old project, and import all the sequences. Save & close.

Edited to add: "Welcome to the forum!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very small project, one small clip on one timeline. I even tried with an empty project, nothing in it... same issue. Found the problem though, it's my Trend Micro antivirus. If I disable that, Premier closes fine. When I turn the antivirus back on, the problem comes back.

Now on to the new problem, Photoshop CC install has lost all filetype associations and won't let me open my JPGs or PSDs, nor will it let me re-link the filetype associations. Grrrrrr 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah-ha! Thanks for reporting back on the cause. That's a good one to file away for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know... I'm having the same issue with the latest release of Premier Pro CC on a Mac running 10.8.5. After rendering a ProRes tiimeline and exporting same, PP won't quit completely no matter how long I wait.  I have to open the Activity Monitor, locate the background process and kill it.

I saved  samples of the process as  text files if that's helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure how to comment, and this conversation is seven years old, but anyway, my premiere pro won't even quit. As of now there is no force quit option because for half the day it has been loading "Cancling team project Load..." I'm able to do everything else, but I don't know what to do, or how long it should be taking to load, or how I can force quit if it isn't giving me that option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue as well.  I will finish a project, close the program, and no matter how long I wait to open PP, it doesn't open.  I must go into Task Manager, end the process, and then it works.  I do not have any virus software, or other that I can think of, that would prohibit PP from fulling closing when I close it.  I almost wouldn't mind it running in the background given my system IF it would open up again when I need it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Just not quitting. Have to force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the problem was related to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. I uninstalled it and now Premiere CC 2014 quits correctly within 5 seconds of the window closing.

I suspect that any program which is actively scanning files on your system could have a negative interaction -- so if you have something similar (e.g. Microsoft Security Essentials realtime protection)  try disabling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the thread, Henryten. Since you're new to the party, it would help if you provide some details about the circumstances in which you're hitting this problem. For example, does it happen if create a new project when you launch Premiere, then close the app without importing content or doing anything else.

Also, what have you tried? Two others in the thread have reported that their antivirus was involved. Do you have antivirus software installed and, if so, have you tried disabling or uninstalling it?

And, of course, knowing exactly what OS you're on and which version of Premiere you have is always useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the uninformative bump.  I think one of the earlier posts actually solved my problem.

I'm on a Mac Pro 2009 running Mavericks and Premiere Pro cc 2014. I won't go into much detail because the solution for me was probably a new malware program (Sophos). No problem since I uninstalled it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the problem of Premiere Proc CC 2014 not quitting. I am on a MacBook Pro OSX 10.9.5 and the issue has just started. I have to force quit the program in order to release my external hard drive. I don't have any antivirus software on my Mac. Is there some other issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I'm on a Mac Pro running Yosemite. Everything is new - the Mac, Yosemite, CC, etc.

I have to force quit it of premiere. The app closes, but it still shows it's active in my dock. So far I have only created one project, and it's a big one and I will be working on it for then next few moths. I have not had the issue on the older 12 core mac with CS6.

Just chiming in to say "me too" and see if there was a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to this list. I have a Mac Pro (the black cylinder) with Yosemite and Premiere Pro CC2015 latest version.

Any time I quit or close a project, I just freeze/hang there forever. I an Force Quit the app, but other apps start to hang too doing simple stuff like pulling up a file dialog.

A reboot of the OS will hang - need to hit the power button.

Does not matter whether or not I try to export anything while having the project open. Saving the project will work. Just closing the project or quitting the app causes the hang.

I currently am not running any kind of Anti-virus. Are there other programs known to conflict with the latest PP? I just noticed this recently.

Any solutions or fixes from Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add one more to this list.

I've actually been having this problem for months. Premiere CC, and Media Encoder both hang after quitting. Shows up in the application switcher, and won't quit even after attempting to force quite either application.

The only legit way to deal with this is to restart, which, needless to say, is not normal, nor convenient.

2013 Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6 Core i7, 16GB ram, Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, 10.10.1. CC 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add another to this list.

Projects in Premiere spontaneous freezes. Sometimes audio works but video won't play.

Only force Quit will help.

Working with a iMac (27-inch, medio 2011)  AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Cleaning up cache database did'nt help!

What is best to do? reïnstall?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filmdepartment wrote:

Projects in Premiere spontaneous freezes. Sometimes audio works but video won't play.

Only force Quit will help.

This is a different issue from the other posts in this thread.  It would be best to start a new thread and include information about your source media and sequence settings as well as your exact version of Premiere Pro and operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. Premiere CC 2015 will intermittently freeze up. I have no control over any functions and have to force quit. After that Premiere is still not quitting completely.  Nor will it re-open. When I try to restart the Mac Pro (late 2013 version 12 core) it won't shut down- I have to hard shut down by holding the start button down.

After hard shut down Premiere opens and operates normally for a while then the process repeats itself! VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!

I find it interesting that so many people are having this issue but the Adobe techs on the phone tell me they have not heard of it before. Nor can they help me solve the issue. This all started happening with the new CC 2015 release. When is this going to be addressed and when can we expect to get a more stable editing system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to this list - I am creating new projects in cc 2015. Running on Windows 10.

I have looked at the Task Manager when quitting Premiere. The Apps entry closes, but a new entry is opened in the Background Processes list, and that remains there until I 'kill' the process (right-click and select end task). The process uses 17.5% CPU and 512.7MB memory.

I have Windows Defender running, and no other malware/antivirus applications.

Obviously, this is not correct behavior, and resing this thread, I see I'm not the only one seeing this. Is there something I can do/set to stop this behavior? Will this be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue - just started using Premiere Pro (2 weeks ago), and everything worked fine - then I installed Encore (by way of installing Premiere Pro CS 6 and then uninstalling all but Encore). Not sure if that is the cause, but after I did that occasionally PP CC will crash (and not finish a render) and then can't be reopened. Also can't restart either, have to do a cold shutdown with the powerbutton.

Just wondering if other people with the same issue also have installed Encore and if the problem then is some kind of conflict between remnants from CS6?

I'm on an iMac, 32 GB ram, 3,5 GHz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm having the same issue. I quit premier pro cc (from the menu) and then it closes the window but on the OSx menu bar it stays open.
So the only way to quit the program is right click on it and force shut down. - but i'm not happy with this solution. Is it maybe a bug ? (I have the latest update)

Macbook pro 2015, 16GB, 2,8 Ghz i7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2016 Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I've waited for 10+ minutes and it still didn't close. I have to force quit it through Finder and then I get a lovely error message that reads, "Adobe Premiere has had a serious issue and will not close". Well, no duh.

Premiere Pro CC (2015)

Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, 64GB ram, 3 GHz 8-core intel xeon E5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue.  I get random freezes when working on a project, once or twice a day.  Can't force quit Premiere and have to resort to shutting down by holding the power button.  Then, the mac takes a long time to power back on, presumably, because its repairing whatever damage was down by the bad shutdown.

The Premiere icon disappears but it still is present under the force quit dialogue and thus, the computer won't shut down or restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2016 May 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have figured out a solution to eliminate the "won't quit" issue with PP. (For me, this worked).

I deleted any and all preference files that have "Premiere" in the file name. There were .plist, .cfdb and .txt files in my case.

For Mac:

Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences

For PC:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC

If you have CCleaner, it's a good idea to run it once.

Reboot and open a project in Premiere and it should quit on its own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines