12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 7:11 PM by rossfranks

Edge project slowing down

rossfranks Level 1

Hey there,

I've been recreating a Flash project in Edge (so that it can run on mobile devices). It's a "pre-lab" for students here at our university, where the student can go through a chemistry lab before actually doing the real world lab.

I've laid it out roughly from beginging to end, but when I run it on different browsers on a mac, pc or iPad2 the button clicks become slower and slower in response (as if it's running out memory) halfway through the prelab.

I've stripped back all the graphics off the timeline except for the important buttons and it still does the same thing. Do I need to delete all non-related images and symbols out of the Assets window? Or is it because I've been using transparent png's and should be using SVG's (but that doesnt answer why it's still slow when I strip back the project).

The only errors I'm getting in Chrome's Console is this:

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.

Javascript error in event handler! Event Type = timeline edge.2.0.1.min.js:162

Would this be why it's slowing down?

Thanks in advance,

• 1. Re: Edge project slowing down
          jpringles

HI pancreasboy12.

I have been having the same problems.

I posted this 2 days ago.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5992032#5992032

So far I have heard nothing. I am currently trying to delete my looped animations when they are not being used to free up some resources. HIdeing or stopping the animations when they are not being used seems to have no effect.

I have managed to dynamically create the animations as I need them by following this.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5998785#5998785

So far I cannot delete the dynamically created symbols on a click or on a trigger. I cannot see why they wont delete!! I tried this http://forums.adobe.com/message/5283417#5283417

I'm not even sure if this will fix our issue but it might help??

Johnny

• 2. Re: Edge project slowing down
            elainecc Adobe Employee

The question is: how much transparency are you dealing with?  Part of the problem with transparency (we've found) is that it begins overloading the GPU on device, and image size isn't actually indicative of how much it'll thrash as PNG packs transparency really tightly.

-Elaine

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Edge project slowing down
              rossfranks Level 1

Hi elainefinnell,

i'd say there would be around 50 (~200x200) transparent png's like so (where the character, objects like coat, goggles, bottles, etc are seperate symbols)...

001.jpg

002.jpg

with a zoom into the objects (thus the objects had to be at a higher dpi)

003.jpg

and a animated book opening that fills most of the screen

004.jpg

but then I stripped all the graphics out except the next and back buttons and it was still slowing down

And should I be using SVG's anyhow (especially if it's very flat colour artwork)?

• 4. Re: Edge project slowing down
                jpringles Level 1

My project also only has a few SVG's and only one PNG and it eventually slows down too.

It starts off very smooth and fast.

I don't think in my case it is a transparency issue either.

• 5. Re: Edge project slowing down
                  jpringles Level 1

I think I have found the issue here. Perhaps your is the same.

In my project I had quite a few short looped symbols (between 1 and 3 seconds) that were controlled and reset by a triggers of sym.play(0); or sym.playReverse(); at the end of the loop.

I presumed shorter loops woud be easier to load than longer ones!!

The project would start fine but would quickly become laggy. It would by unuseable after abut 8 minutes on older machines and eventually stop completely. The more elements I added to the project the quicker it would lag.

I changed all my loops to be approximately 2 minutes long by repeating the animation timelines over and over again instead of looping back to the start so quickly.

Now my animation has been running for 40 minutes without any lag on a low powered 6 year old laptop.

I havent checked it on an iPad yet but hopefully along with dynamically loading and deleted the symbols as needed (http://forums.adobe.com/message/6001189#6001189) it should now perform ok.

I hope this helps.

• 6. Re: Edge project slowing down
                    gregoryalthoff

I'm having the same problem ... I'm trying to loop 3 different SVG's with really short timeline's 1-2 seconds.. and I have a couple other rollover edge elements on the page that are only moving when the mouse hits them..

It lags like crazy after a min. or more (new mac 8gb ram).

I'll try extending this into a longer animation.. hopefully the file size will stay small and the laggin will stop.

• 7. Re: Edge project slowing down
                      elainecc Adobe Employee

To everyone who has posted to this thread:

It would be great if I could get a copy of your animations for us to test with internally so that we can profile and see what's going on.  Please either post a link to your project files (including the .an files) either to this thread or to me via private message.

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 8. Re: Edge project slowing down
                        gregoryalthoff Level 1

Ok I extended my animations to 20 seconds each and just repeated them like crazy and its actaully worked so far. A few minutes open and no sign of slowing down.

Good call!

• 9. Re: Edge project slowing down
                          jpringles Level 1

I didn't notice a big difference in file size. It still loads very quickly and now I have loads of longs 2 minute loops. All svgs. Hopefully it should be OK for you.

I actually don't think it is a memory issue either. The CPU usage seems to get higher and higher over time with small loops. That's cpu load is the problem for some reason.

Let me know if it works out for you. 

<div

• 10. Re: Edge project slowing down
                            rossfranks Level 1

PM sent Elaine,

one thing I have noticed is if I strip back all the Actions on the main timeline and let the animation run without stopping then it runs fine, so some of the action code must be doing it.

I also tried your idea Johnny, by removing all items with sym.play(0) (I didn't have any with sym.playReverse(); ), and not removing the timeline actions and it still slowed down

• 11. Re: Edge project slowing down
                              rossfranks Level 1

Ok I've really stripped this down to a next button going to the next label and on each label is a text object and it's still slowing down.

Here's my file

http://twistedpancreas.com/edge/misc/slow.zip

Is this the same for everyone else? What am I doing wrong

• 12. Re: Edge project slowing down
                                rossfranks Level 1

Ok well it turns out that for my "nextBtn" a new 'click' event is assigned to it but the old click event remains. So it builds up to the point of slowing down the animation.

So the code I should have been using is:

sym.$('btnNext').bind('click.myEvent',function(){

$(this).unbind('click.myEvent');

sym.stop("2");

});

Thanks all for taking the time to try and figure out what was going on.