• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 659 Replies 659
659 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not use Qt in any way.

Only the discontinued program Album used to use Qt (and found it pretty poor, and not nearly as portable as claimed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2012 Sep 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been buying and upgrading Photoshop and Premiere Elements every year and it's a great consumer product from experience. However, I have finally 'ditched' Windows! Is Adobe likely to release versions that will also run on Linux (Ubuntu) any time soon? Or shall I ditch Adobe too?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Missing all Adobe products on LINUX or at least on UBUNTU. Many of us gets furious about MS Windows OS-es. I am not alone who wants this. We have been just waiting for years for this opportunity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering since I think it would be a great thing to consider. Since Microsoft's change of direction (going from stable work desktops to touchpads and mobile solutions) have made future software compatability uncertain, more and more developers have started looking into supporting Linux (Valve is one of those companies, with the Steam Platform).

As a systemdeveloper myself I think it wouldn't be too hard to make this happen technically, since Adobe programmers already have knowledge in linux-development (Flashplayer for one), also Photoshop already uses the QT-library, which is highly supported under Linux.

I know Wine have been the solution for running photoshop on linux, but it works really bad on later versions, also it doesnt give the stability serious work needs.

It would be really great if you could at least consider this (maybe cram it in some monday-morning-meeting?), not only will your userbase slightly grow, but it will help open up the Linux OS's great capabilities and potential, as well as futureproofing your product in case this behaviour goes mainstream.

As you might already know Linux is not a companybacked stable closed project, but largely maintained by the users itself and its different distribution-branches, which makes it hard to reach out to big companies like yourself. I know there is Fedora/RHEL, Ubuntu/Canonical and those, but the biggest change their companybacking has made is implementing Amazon-ads (if you ignore the fact that linux-enthusiasts can get paid to do what they love etc, but that is not the point here).

Have a great day, to whoever might be reading this, and I hope you will be one of the first companies that joins in on the upcoming potential Linux-revolution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, Photoshop does not use QT in any way. (nor could it without rewriting QT)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corel is already one step ahead to have released Aftershot Pro as native Linux client. Just bought my copy a few days ago and I'm quite impress with it with its performance. Not quite the full blown Photoshop but certainly an good Elements contender. Go for it guys and see how Adobe will respond to lost in market shares. Someone will have to learn it the hard way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2012 Oct 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys, it's enough. Money it's the thing isn't it? How much cost for YOU to develop photoshop for Linux. Put a price, we can make a Donation pool with the goal you want/need.

Who cares about your fictional market, or the problems will emerge fighting with an OS, If we pay you, you will do it,

We want you to develop Adobe CS7 for linux ( I specially need Flash Pro, Photoshop, and Premiere as main tools)

So, What's the cost? How much do you want? Where I put my money? Tell me now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if M$ and Apple pays regularly for not providing PS to Linux ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A company like Adobe not conforming to your and other Linux-users’ wishes does not mean that they are involved in shady (and probably illegal) practices.
And with the occasional frictions between Macintosh and Adobe it seems even more unlikely to me that they would conspire in such a way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not conforming != Denies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is that supposed to mean exactly?
Is anybody denying that you and others wish to see a Linux version of Photoshop?

As far as i understand they are not malevolently denying you something that exists, they have decided not to invest the resources it would take to create the thing you and others wish for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Not conforming" is a nasty confirmation. It does not mean that Adobe denies shady practices, and also does not mean that shady practices are not being done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not an Adobe employee so my using the term does not mean much to begin with (apart from describing what I perceive).
But I would be much surprised if Adobe would not deny shady business practices.

Voicing your suspicion is naturally your right, but I in turn suspect that you have not thought this supposed conspiracy* through thoroughly.

Edit: *) I assume two companies secretly paying a third company to affect a further entity or persons could be called a »conspiracy«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2012 Oct 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will be photoshop compatibile for Linux distributions? Why still didn't? I need that and many other designers and developers!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I vote for the "conspiracy theory", after all most of photoshop and other functionality are provided by qt a c++ cross platform library and ide. If you don't believe me just go into the install dir and look for any dll that has the word qt in its name. so probably to compile it for linux they just need a... very difficult..button click

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't use Qt in any way.
And Qt is not that easy to port between platforms (we used to have an app that used Qt -- which is why we are not about to use Qt again).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I vote for the "conspiracy theory"«
It strikes me as remarkable how easily you seem ready to basically call a Photoshop programmer who has generously contributed to this thread (and many others on other issues on this and other Fora) a liar.
Or am I misinterpreting your statement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux has had phenomenal momentum in the past 3 years and continues to grow,
with large creative companies like Valve and THQ now supporting linux. Video card and hardware compatibly, commercial licensing and distro support but Adobe does not step into this thriving ecosystem... Why you neglect all these people who want PROFESSIONAL tools in Ubuntu ?Why dont you transfer your Creative Suite to Ubuntu to give it a huge boost ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe management , This is a request to provide adobe photoshop version for ubuntu..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2013 Feb 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrected translation:

Linux is growing more and more, especially Ubuntu, I only use Windows (I have dual boot) in case of extreme necessity, that is, when I can't run a program like Photoshop and I believe that many others go through what I do, and I believe that it would be a great investment from Adobe to create a version of photoshop for linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has always said that GNU/Linux world was not a good place for sell their products, and that Linux's users are not ready for spend for softwares.

Now that this idea is completly trashed by Valve who has launched its Steam platform for Linux, showing a florid market, will Adobe steps in the Linux world too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Windows "Blue" it seems Microsoft has full blown contempt toward the desktop, windowed multitasking environment. Can you guys produce the full Creative Suite Master Collection for the Linux platform?

Creative Suite is the only thing keeping me on Windows. And no I don't want to buy special Apple hardware to run OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now we know that the % of GNU/Linux users is equal or superior at the macOS users.

the market is here and many others are just using ms win because theycan't have their cs studio on GNU/Linux

it would be very very nice to have it on linux os 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently arguing at work to pay someone $50/hr to run Illustrator for a week so that I don't have to buy it and use it on Windows or Mac. I'm sure there are Linux users out there who won't pay for Photoshop. But there are Windows users who pirate it and don't pay now. I personally pay hundreds of dollars every year for software that I run on my Linux desktop. I know dozens of Linux desktop users and every one of them pays hundreds of dollars for software that they run on their Linux desktop.

I'm not a big fan of Wine, but if you have no interest in supporting Linux directly, maybe you would consider contributing development or funds to making Photoshop work well with Wine.

I don't know why I'm even writing this. I've been subscribed to these threads for years and any sane person would have concluded years ago that Photoshop will *never* support Linux. Free, open-source equivalents like gthumb and UFRaw are easy enough to use now that I can kind of do what I need to with them (Photoshop is still easier to use, has more features, supports real fonts, etc.). In a few months or maybe a year or two, I may not need Photoshop any more. Certainly if GIMP gets 16-bit-per-channel support, that will affect your market on Windows and Mac.

So I suppose I'm writing to sort of wave farewell and say, "thanks for the memories" as I ride off into the distance. I really loved Photoshop. It is just about the last remaining piece of non-Linux software that I sometimes open a Windows VM to run. From me, that's a very high compliment. Parting is such sweet sorrow. Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently switched to Linux and have yet fully figured out if I can use photoshop in some way, shape or form...I appreciate the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate