• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WTF!!!! Flash Player Upgrade Installs McAfee Without Asking Permission!!!!

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I booted my Windows 7 PC I got the usual message saying that the Adobe Flash Player needed to be upgraded. But when I downloaded and ran the upgrade software, it also installed McAfee Security software on my PC without even asking my permission! What's up with that? Since when is it Adobe policy to install 3rd party software without permission during a routine upgrade?

It just so happens that I use a FOSS security suite that I am perfectly happy with and I don't need Adobe's help in keeping my computer safe.

Anyway I hope this is an oversight and will be corrected soon.

Clay Budin

NYC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always use the following links when prompted to upgrade.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

They contain the FULL offline installers with nothing added. Bookmark them. The links remain the same whenthe verison is updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The offer on the download page is opt-in by default and you need to uncheck the check-box to deselect it. If you have an ad-blocker extension or add-on installed, it may be blocking the offer panel.  To avoid this in the future, please disable any ad-blocker you may have, or use the off-line installers from the links Mike has provided.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maria,

I believe the O.P. is referring to an "update" via the Flash Player GUI which installs McAfee Security Scan with NO opt out.

I've personally seen and documented this with screen caps. Pat Willener submitted it several months ago.

I'm all for pointing people to the offline installers which have nothing bundled, but I hate unwanted installs as much as the other users who complain here. There is an update URL which downloads and installs McAfee with no end user knowledge or chance to say "no" and that really should be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines