Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print from Flash Output

New Here ,
May 02, 2007 May 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Word input, Robohelp 6

We are in the process of buying the software - and unfurtulately my demo version ran out.

For online output, I prefer to use Flash, but RH 5X would only allow you to print the current topic page. In order for the reader to print a topic PLUS subtopics, you would need to create chm output.

Does this limitation still apply with v 6?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Launcher1

When you say you "prefer to use Flash" as your output, are we to assume you are referring to FlashHelp? If so, hopefully you realize that you won't end up with a single .SWF containing the entire help system. Instead, you get what you get with WebHelp. The main difference is that the navigational components are Flash based.

The printing issue you mention isn't so much a limitation of RoboHelp as it is the medium in which you are delivering.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, forgot to say that indeed, the same applies to RoboHelp 6. Nothing changes there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,
I did indeed mean FlashHelp. So your response means that I would either have to output in FlashHelp, plus a printable format such as pdf or word. Or, I could create chm files. But this option begs the question: Can you search across a set of chm files as you can across FlashHelp topics/projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Can you search across a set of chm files as you can across FlashHelp topics/projects?

Ummm, I think you may be a bit confused about FlashHelp. You can't currently merge FlashHelp output and search across multiple projects. Not in the basic FlashHelp output. Now if you are using RoboHelp 6 and creating FlashHelp Pro output and publishing that to the RoboHelp Server (an additional component at an additional charge) it's possible, but not with the base output.

Printing from .CHM also is fraught with issues. This stems from the fact that when you do it, a large concatenated temporary file is created. During that process, the links to your style sheets become munged and are unable to be found, resulting in less than satisfactory print.

Because of this, I'd suggest following the PDF route. After all, that's the selling point of PDF. It faithfully reproduces in print what you intended. Then provide a link to the PDF for those that choose to create printed output.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2007 May 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Rick,
Sorry I should have mentioned that we would be creating Flash Pro, for its search capabilities.

Thanks to your answer I now see why my last company produced FlashHelp plus PDFs. That will probably have to be our solution. I could see creating chm files of certain documents (install for e.g.) for our people in the field, so they can put them on their laptops.
thx for yr help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp