• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error Message on my PDF forms

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both Adobe Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader XI.  I created forms in Acrobat and use reader to fill them in (I share these documents with others in my office that only have Adobe Reader)  Today, when I open any of my Adobe PDF files with Reader XI, I receive an error message everytime I try to type on the form.  (Oddly, I can click the OK on the message and it will go away, until I try to type in the next field.)  The message reads: Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.  At the top of the error message box it reads: C:\Program Files\Common files\microsoft shared\ink\Tab   There is more, but it runs out of the box and there is no way to click on it to read the rest.

I have checked to that I have the most current, updated Adobe Reader, as well as ensuring the permissions are correct on the original documents.  I am not having trouble using the documents on Pro, just Reader XI. 

Please help!  I'm not sure if this a virus or something I've done (although I'm not sure since it didn't do anything different today than I usually do.)

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TerriStreetman wrote:

I have checked to that I have the most current, updated Adobe Reader

That would be 11.0.6 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share such a PDF with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2014 Jan 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Pat.  ( I didn't realize it posted my private data!  I appreciate you removing that.)  I am happy to show you a PDF with the issue, but am not sure of the correct way to do so.  Can you elaborate?

Thank you,

Terri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this article how to share a document.  Post the download link here in the forum, or if the document is confidential, send me the link via PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I promptly forgot to insert the link to the aricle I mentioned: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/918624

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. this is a public forum; please do not post telephone numbers and other private data!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I just got a Windows 8.1 touchscreen ultrabook last week and because the Adobe Reader Touch app doesnt support javascript (for numerical calculations) I'm trying to use the desktop application. When I go to type in a text field on my PDF form I get the error "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." It is referring to c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe

I'm logged in as administrator and have Adobe Reader version 11.0.06. My PDF form was created in Acrobat Pro 9.0.

I also tried to fill in a IRS 1040EZ form from the IRS website and I get the same error, so it can't be just the form I created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact problem for me, started today. I need a fix right away. Is this a user's forum, or does Adobe offer help here? If they do not, who can I call asap? Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.  That was a disaster.  After finally getting to speak to a tech, he removed Adobe 11 from my computer and installed Adobe 10.  Then when I open any of my pdf forms, it has now removed the ability to save them.  I have hundreds of pdf forms that I use.  He then told me I would have to pay for additional service.  And then dropped the call.

Let me know if you have any success.  I'm not really sure what to do now, since it is impossible to get actual help from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem.  Just started today.  I can open a pdf but the fillable pdfs are not working.  Every time I try to enter into a box, the windows error message is popping up.  It looks like my computer updated today to adobe 11.0.06.  That might be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am speaking with an adobe technician now.  I will let you know what I learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are able to reproduce the problem and are investigating. Will will post more information as the investigations progress...

A temporary workaround is to disbale touch mode when filling the form:

capture.png

If you aren't on a touch device and are still encountering this error, do let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the status of resolving this issue?  I am having the same problem.  However, I am accessing the forms I need to use for my real estate business through a website specifically designed for this business.  What is going on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

boncella wrote:

What is the status of resolving this issue?  I am having the same problem.  However, I am accessing the forms I need to use for my real estate business through a website specifically designed for this business.  What is going on? 

According to the post two above yours, "they will post more information as the investigations progress". Sounds like they just found out about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this work-around.  Please advise when you have the full solution.  You have been much more helpful than the support line I called. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!   This helped my situation.  Please advise when you have a permanent fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update.  Now I cannot open any pdf files with Adobe Reader XI.  I can open them with my acrobat, but I need to be able to open in Reader.  I click on the file and it just blinks, but nothing opens.  Getting very frustrated... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open Reader by itself?  If so, try disabling Protected Mode [Edit | Preferences | Security (Enhanced)].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue on 2 different tablets after Reader updated itself to 11.0.6. I removed Reader 11.0.6 and reinstalled Reader 11.0.0 and my forms are working again with no annoying error message.  Also, I disabled automatic updates in Preferences until Adobe has fixed that update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a touchscreen enable laptop with 8.1 installed. I was beyond frustrated with this issue. I  finally disabled the touchscreen in Adobe reader (hand iconin the menu area of adobe reader) and it works seamlessly!!!  Woohoo!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have a client that does NOT have a touchscreen device and is getting this same error. He has a windows 8 desktop with Newest version of adobe reader.

We tried to uninstall reader and reinstall it, still no luck.

What happens is as soon as he opens an adobe file where he needs to fill in data, when he clicks on one of the fields, the error pops up, once you click okay on the error, he can enter data in that one field, but the next field he clicks on does the same error again, its very tediously annoying and would like to have it resolved asap.

Please let me know what we can try.

PS the full error is:  C:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\ink\TabTip.exe

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Thank you.

Maz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maz - you still might be able to "Toggle Touch Mode" by clicking the hand icon on the toolbar. If not, then you will need to remove Reader version 11.0.06 and install an earlier version of 11 - the issue is created by version 11.0.06. Here is a link to Adobe's ftp site to download earlier versions of Reader: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines