• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I import data from a database into a FrameMaker document using ExtendScript?

Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to import part information from a database into a structured (XML) FrameMaker document. The document would be an Illustrated Parts Catalog, built by merging the text in the structured document with graphic files and nomenclature stored in a database. Can ExtendScript do this, or do I need to investigate a different language for this programmatic approach to building a document?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

There is no direct way to connect to a database with FrameMaker ExtendScript. It is possible to write C++ code to interact with scripts, so you could write some kind of connector in C++ that would work with ExtendScript. ExtendScript can work with XML files, so another alternative would be to export your data from the database to XML and use ExtendScript to parse and import it to FrameMaker.

I would take a serious look at FrameScript. FrameScript has built-in ODBC support so you can connect direc

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no direct way to connect to a database with FrameMaker ExtendScript. It is possible to write C++ code to interact with scripts, so you could write some kind of connector in C++ that would work with ExtendScript. ExtendScript can work with XML files, so another alternative would be to export your data from the database to XML and use ExtendScript to parse and import it to FrameMaker.

I would take a serious look at FrameScript. FrameScript has built-in ODBC support so you can connect directly to your database and use SQL queries to get your data into FrameMaker. It also has ActiveX support, so you can use ADODB technology to get data from your database. I have done database import in a bunch of my scripts over the years. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. --Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick. I should mention that this would not be a "one-and-done" import of data. Specifically, each time we publish the IPC, our current product's publishing engine merges the data from the database with the document to produce the output. The code would have to be executed each publishing run. Can FrameScript handle that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. You would either have to specifically run the script whenever the data changes, or you could have the script automatically run when you open a particular document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks, Rick.

--Wayne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are interested in doing a no-cost, no-pressure consultation about this project, please let me know. We can meet via GoToMeeting and I can give you some ideas for putting it all together. Thanks. Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wayne,

Another route that you might want to consider is Datazone's Miramo Personal Edition. This tool was designed just for this type of operation.

See: http://www.miramo.com/english/overview/dp_download.html

I use it to create catalogs, directories and all sorts of other database driven publications.

You might want to also see this thread for additional info: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1380660?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines