4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 2:11 PM by b_trinca

Can PSDs be opened accurately in any software other than Photoshop?

b_trinca

I know this sounds like a crazy question to be asking here, but here's the scoop... I'm working with a less-than-competent development team that I'm guessing doesn't own Photoshop. I've spent hours creating detailed PSDs of the site design, and then upon turning them over to these people, found that they never opened my PSDs in Photoshop... That they "don't really have Photoshop."

My question is this — Could they be using something else to open the PSDs? And if so, is everything going to translate accurately? My guess would be no. I'm so close to the point in asking these people why the hell they don't own Photoshop, but I just want to be sure that if I'm going to school them on the fact that you're supposed to use Photoshop to open PHOTOSHOP FILES, I don't want to sound like an idiot.

My guess is that either they never opened the files at all, or they're using something that completely whacked everything out.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

• 1. Re: Can PSDs be opened accurately in any software other than Photoshop?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

The obvious question is, if these people are only 'viewing' the images, why send them PSD files? 

But if you Google PSD viewer, you'll get a bunch of hits for free applications.  I have used Irfanview since before I was born.  It's a great app, does heaps of things including great batch work, it cost nothing and it can view PSD files (I just tried it to make sure)

• 2. Re: Can PSDs be opened accurately in any software other than Photoshop?
            b_trinca Level 1

Good point. Your obvious question is the same thing that I asked too. Why did I even bother??

They are being really shady about admitting (or not) to exactly what the hell they're doing, but I know they have mentioned that they built "parts of" the site based off the PDF that I sent to accompany the PSDs. Let me say this... It just doesn't look right. Sorry, but every other developer that I have worked with in the past 10 years has ALWAYS used Photoshop to slice images, get dimensions for graphics, determine correct fonts being used, etc.

Thanks for the reply... You might have nailed it. They very well could be using some type of PSD viewer. Lemme ask you this — can you still measure elements and get font sizes with those viewers though?

• 3. Re: Can PSDs be opened accurately in any software other than Photoshop?
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

b_trinca wrote:

Lemme ask you this — can you still measure elements and get font sizes with those viewers though?

Only by scaling against other known image elements, and they would need an app like Photoshop to do that.  Or any Web producing like Dreamweaver I guess.  I don't do websites, but you could surely load a flattened image in the background and use it as a template.

I don’t know what the pixel size of your images are, but from context, I’m guessing we are talking web graphics, but I’d still save to PDF with the high quality print preset. It also sounds like there is middle person involved, which is guaranteed to lead to confusion.  Can you liaise directly with the end user?

• 4. Re: Can PSDs be opened accurately in any software other than Photoshop?
                b_trinca Level 1

Gotcha. Thanks again for your help... Very much appreciated!