• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAfee installed with Adobe Flash Player 12 plugin update

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did McAfee Security Scan Plus install when I updated Adobe Flash Player 12 plugin?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's at least one GUI updater that does this (no opt out) and I've not only seen it myself, I documented it and it submitted it.

That's why I always use the FULL offline installers:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Nothing in those but the plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! I clicked an an Adobe system message and received no checkbox to opt out of McAfee. I only noticed their horrible software after I clicked install and had to crash out of the install programme to stop McAfee infecting my system. I've spend hours trying to remove McAfee's annoying spyware software from various computers over the years and I certainly don't want to go through that process ever again.

A Google search shows thousands of unhappy Adobe customers complaining about exactly the same thing for the last three or four years. You'd think that Adobe would have sorted their act out by now. Those of us who subscribe to Creative Cloud and pay Adobe handsomely every month deserve better treatment than this. Bring on a replacement for Flash... please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"A Google search shows thousands of unhappy Adobe customers complaining about exactly the same thing for the last three or four years."

There may be thousands of customers unhappy about it but... there are MILLIONS of downloads of Flash Player each day.

Mathematically, the number of people who are "put off" or "outraged" by this is only a small percentage of a small percentage of all the end users who download Flash Player daily, weekly, or yearly.

That's not an attempt (even a pathetic one) to justify the no-opt-out install.  I did however, provide an alternative download source to avoid the bundled software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those of us who are proficient with Photoshop etc are usually savvy enough to avoid this sort of trap. It's not so much the bundling of nasty software that none of us need or want, but the fact that Adobe has not given us the option to uncheck a McAfee installation. I appreciate that locating a full download does present the user with a checkbox to avoid McAfee... but their system message does not. And that needs to be fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said in my first post, I not only saw this "no opt out" bundling myself, but I screencapped it and documented it.

That was... wait for it... LAST JULY.

If anyone had the intention of ending it, they would have by now.

THIS is the reason I always update EVERYTHING (Windows, OS X, CS3, CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6, Office, Roxio... you name it) manually.

Microsoft keeps trying to push 8.1 and their %&#*'ing "Bing Desktop" with EVERY Windows Update, even though I've hidden both mutlitple times. You can't even update Java without the freakin' "Ask Toolbar" being pushed at you.

I know I'm not going to change it, so I changed my process for updating stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines