Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pages don't appear in HTML view

New Here ,
May 03, 2007 May 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a fairly large WebHelp project that I am trying to convert to HTML help. I have made HTML Help the Primary Layout for this project. When I generate it and preview the result, the frameset appears, but the actual topic pages do not - the following, standard error page appears:

Action canceled
Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline.

For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer, click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

Internet Explorer

Why would this happen? Is there a step I am missing?
Thanks in advance.

Todd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd

I'm assuming here you are meaning .CHM output? If you are trying to run this output from a network location, Click here and read all about why it is failing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - CHM is the proper assumption. Thanks for the link. This material leads to a few addition questions, however. For instance, is the reason the CHM will not display topics because of its distance from the project folder and source files (I'm outputting the CHM to a network location and previewing it from there, where my project folder is local to my PC), and if so, can we still distribute the lone CHM file to customers (local to their machine) and avoid this problem? Part of the attraction for HTML (CHM) for our development team is that only two files are involved (CHM, TOC).

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I think you are misunderstanding .CHM output.

I say this because of your statement:
Part of the attraction for HTML (CHM) for our development team is that only two files are involved (CHM, TOC).

You need to undertstand that only a single file is normally involved that you would need to ship. Just the .CHM. Like computers with "Intel Inside", the .CHM has the "TOC Inside". The TOC is part of the .CHM file itself. I'm guessing here that perhaps you are confusing .CHM output with it's elder cousin, .HLP output where you also had the TOC external to the .HLP file. (the .CNT file)

So yes, your problems are stemming from the fact you are trying to view the .CHM while it is in a network location. If your end users will be copying the .CHM locally (or if an installation application is placing them there for the user) you really have no concerns and all should be fine.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I understood my error as soon as the post was made. I did confuse Winhelp with HTML help - you'll have to excuse me, my development team has asked for just about every possible Help format these last few months, and I'm losing track of the all of the different output scenarios.

To prove your theory, I moved the CHM output to the SSL directory in the project folder, and everything looked good. I then copied the CHM back to the network location, and my content was missing again. Is there a way to send the lone CHM around for review, independant of the project folder/files, and have the content appear? If not, how is it that the CHM shipped to our users will display the content?

Thanks again. You've been a great (and quick) help.

Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd

Yes, you may send the .CHM for review. As long as your user is able to successfully receive it as an attachment (some E-Mail clients will block it and not allow saving) they should be able to save to their hard drive and open it up. Another way you could distribute it would be as I do. Place it on a web server and give them a link. They then click the link and see a dialog asking if they wish to save or run from this location. If they choose to run, they will likely see what you are on the lan. Pages won't display. So ask them to save to their hard drive. Even then, they may end up having to right-click and look at properties and click a button labeled "Unblock" to allow windows to see and use the .CHM file.

Aint security a wunnerful thing? Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It sure is(n't).

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp