• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot download Flash player

Participant ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to download the latest Flash player, but I can't get it to start downloading.

When I go to any page on Adobe.com that requires flash, there's this message "This content requires Flash" which leads to a download page (url: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ ). There, it says "By clicking the Install now button..." but there is no Install now button at all! How can this be?

Next attempt, I click on the "Need Flash Player for a different computer?" link. This leads to a similar page (url: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ ). There, I can see a download button, but it doesn't do anything. I can click it all I want, but nothing will happen. Looking into the code reveals that it should never do anything, the url that it leads to is one of those void-javascript urls and it explicitly has some kind of "graybutton" class attached. This leads me to believe that Adobe may have deliberately disabled downloading for whatever reason, which seems very odd to me.

Third attempt, I switch to another browser. I picked Chrome. When I point it to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ I get a very different page (naughty browser sniffing!). Anyway, there's a text that says "To download the Adobe® Flash® Player system plug-in, click here". So I click on "here" (which is yet another antipattern in web design, Adobe!) and I'm being redirected to yet another type of download page (url: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?fpchrome ). Now there *is* a Install now button. Yay!

But when I click it, nothing downloads and I get redirected to the adobe.com homepage...

So how the heck do I download Flash player??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Welcome to Adobe Forums.

Are you on a Windows computer or on a MAC ?

If windows, are you using Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox ?

Thanks,

Vikram

Adobe Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort-of didn't say on purpose, because it should make no difference what browser I'm on. It's just a plain download after all... Or at least it should be.

I probably should have mentioned I am indeed on Windows. My browser is Opera, but as said I also tried Chrome. But that really shouldn't matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thany2 wrote:

I sort-of didn't say on purpose, because it should make no difference what browser I'm on. It's just a plain download after all... Or at least it should be.

I probably should have mentioned I am indeed on Windows. My browser is Opera, but as said I also tried Chrome. But that really shouldn't matter.

There are no less than FOUR different plugins depending on... wait for it... OS and browser.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Flash Player (Mac OS X)

Adn PepperFlash (Chrome) which you CAN'T download here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the problem seems to have been fixed in the mean time.

Anyway, I still find it... "interesting" that there's a separate player for different browsers. That's certainly not the case for Java, so take an example from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had just recovered by account for this forum to report the same issue, to find it has been reported in the meantime!

In Firefox, Adobe will still redirect me from the Install now button on http://get.adobe.com/nl/flashplayer/ to the home page.

The links provided by Mike M. have helped me out. Thanks Mike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Adobe *must* be doing naughty things (browser sniffing) because I checked just a couple of hours ago and it worked fine for me, in Opera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thany2 wrote:

Well, the problem seems to have been fixed in the mean time.

Anyway, I still find it... "interesting" that there's a separate player for different browsers. That's certainly not the case for Java, so take an example from that.

Java DOESN'T require ActiveX controls to run, as it runs at a SYSTEM level. Flash Player is a brwoser plug-in, and as such it MUST have ActiveX for Internet Exploder, because Microsoft is stuck in 1993 when it comes to their pathetic garbage excuse for a browser. EVERY other browser in existence dumped ActiveX more than a decade ago, if they ever had it to begin with.

You notice that there is only ONE Flash Player for Mac OS X, because NO Mac browser uses ActiveX controls. There is no Internet Exploder for Mac.

Also, Chrome uses it's own Flash Player plugin, and like ActiveX for Windows 8, it's embedded by the developer. THAT'S google's or Microsoft's decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For me, the problem still persists.

In Firefox, cliking on "Nu installeren" (Install now) on http://get.adobe.com/nl/flashplayer/, will still redirect me to the homepage.

I have tried to remove the /nl/ part of the url as well as replace it by /en/, to no avail, I was being redirected to the /nl/ url. Only after reconfiguring Firefox to use English (en) as the first language of preference, was I able to open http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/. Still then, the "Install now" button redirect me to the home page.

I have also tried with:

• Internet Explorer: installing the ActiveX version quite happily;
  • Chrome: reporting that Flash is built in, and offering a download for an alternate browser;
  • Opera: Installing happily.

Quite amazing to find that Adobe still haven't solved this issue... (Is there anybody out there?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines