28 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2015 9:38 PM by Rajshree RSS

Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

michaelreilly Community Member

My renewal for creative cloud is pending.Are there price increases planned for creative cloud single app renewal?

• 1. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
          Andy Bay Community Member

Adobe's  main mission as a publicly traded company is to extract as much money from people as possible. You do the math based on that.

• 2. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
            Beverley Gray Adobe Employee

Hi michaelreilly

We have no plans at present to change the pricing.  The renewal price you pay is valid for a full 12 months.  After that, we'll renew your contract automatically unless you cancel. The price is subject to change, but we will always notify you beforehand.

Thanks

Bev

• 3. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

hi Beverly

what I am hearing is that prices have increased for some people after their first twelve month subscription is up.I needed clarity on whether prices would increases or not for my single app subscription.I can`t have my software increasing in price year on year.My margins just aren`t that great to pay more for software every year.I had one month to go and no indication or cast iron assurances that the price would stay ther same.Consequenly I have had to cancel my cloud membership.Four weeks is cutting it a little close to inform me whether an increase is pending or not.Perhaps no increase was planned,although it has increased for others but either way I feel I should be notified before 4 weeks before the end of my subscription as to the charge for renewal.This was the fear with adobe cloud.How much would the cost of working in this way increase year on year?I have cancelled because I need assurances that this isn`t an ever increasing charge for what is, for many editors and videographers,an ever decreasing profit margin.

thanks

Mike.

• 4. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

Hi Mike

Any Creative Cloud promotional pricing is valid for one year and at renewal the regular price applies.

https://creative.adobe.com/#plans

For example, customers with a CS3-CS6 product can get Creative Cloud complete for £27.34/month for the first 12 months then pricing would revert to the regular price which is £46.88/month

You currently have a single app plan for £17.58/mth - this is the regular pricing, not an introductory promo price.

Renewal email are sent 1 month prior to the renewal date and I'm sorry if this isn't enough time for you. You can of course sign up again at a time that suits you.

Kind regards

Bev

• 5. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                  shawninvancouver Community Member

My one year subscription (at $29.99 per month) renews next month. An increase of $20 per month to $49.99 per month becomes rather difficult to swallow. If only Captivate was included (to properly complete the Creative Suite), it would be easier to accept.

Yes, it could be argued that $600 per year is a bargain for all these applications but people who argue this fact, forget that the upgrade cost for Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium is only $375 (I only require 4-5 of the applications PLUS Captivate) and this software is actually good enough for the next few years (perhaps up to 3 years). *AND* buying the upgrade ELMINATES the annoying sign-in issues that I had to put up with for the past year!

Adobe, you are acting like a drug dealer by offering a very low price intro and then increasing the price by over 60% for the following years!

Since there are other options available now (much more than a few years ago), you are forcing me to reconsider Adobe's suite.

• 6. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

hi Beverly

thank you.You have cleared up the issue for me.I thought I was on the introductory price but see now this is not the case.I may indeed return soon.

thanks for your help

Mike

• 7. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                      SoilentGreen Community Member

Yes, it could be argued that $600 per year is a bargain for all these applications but people who argue this fact, forget that the upgrade cost for Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium is only $375

THIS!!!!!  We currently use the same suite, paid $375ea to upgrade 5 people to it,  and only use 3 of the included programs.  Now we could get single licenses for each of those three programs,  but that would be $60/month.   We could all sign up for CC,  but as I understand it,  if you're licencing it to a company you have to get the CC for Teams?   $49/month ea. for the first two years (the current special deal)  and $69/month ea.  after that.

So we've gone from $375/yr. per user,  to $600/yr. per user, if we sign up now, then $828/yr. per user in 2 years. All the while I keep hearing how much of a bargain it is.

Obligitory car example:  A brand new Cadillac might be a good deal for $25,000,  especially if they normally sell for $45k,  but if I don't need that much car,  how is it a great deal for me if I'm used to shelling out $17k?   Oh,  and now I'm leasing instead of owning....

I can't believe that we're alone in purchasing the suite, and only using a few programs in that suite,  and are now stuck with pay a lot more,  or pay even more than that...

• 8. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                        Biggles Lamb Community Member

Why moan about the costs?

You knew what you were doing when you needlessly joined the CC when there was very little need.

If your margins are that small you definately need to look at alternatives that give you a perpetual licence for a one off outlay.

If you are just after a video editing programme then look at Edius, especially as there are crossgrade deals available that gives the user a great piece of software every bit as good as Premiere and in many areas its superior.

Col

• 9. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                          mototeddy Community Member

Mine did as well...and I have been trying to get an answer from someone at Adobe for a week...lines are always busy, chat always unavailable.  I was an early adopter of the CC in 2011, of the 24 months of history I can find...it was 19-20 months ago that my plan was reduced from $49.99 to $29.99, and now it is $49.99 again (that's not 12 months then a renewal at a different rate...and there was no advanced notice of the increase).  If that's the price, that's the price the extra $20 isn't going to put me out of business...but it certainly steams me. 

I remember getting a notice back when the rate decreased, I don't recall it stating it was a "temporary" drop.  I'm ok with a policy of 12 month introductory rates...but..that math just doesn't seem to be correct according to my records.  Would love to be able to get through to get an explanation.

• 10. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                            Wyrthen Community Member

I'm rather interested in this as well. Two weeks ago I checked to see if my rate was going to increase and was told that I would continue at the $29.99 rate. Today I got my credit card statement, charged $49.99. It's pretty expensive. How do we get the reasonable rate renewed?

ETA: That is to say, I've had the same experience as mototeddy--signed up early early on, paid more at first, then got a notice that my price was dropping, but not that it was temporary. I've paid the lower price for well over a year, but when I started seeing signs that the price was going up (with, however, no notice to me), I checked on it and was told my price would not change. Of course, this higher amount charged to my card would come through on a Saturday, on a long weekend. Guess I am stuck not being able to deal with this until Tuesday.

Beverly, if you're still in the conversation, it might behoove you to weigh in on this problem.

• 11. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

Hi Wyrthen

I'll arrange for someone to contact you regarding this.

Thanks

Bev

• 12. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

Hello Beverley,

I am in the same position as Wyrthen, very long time customer and I was at the $29.99 rate up until October 2013. That was quite reasonable for my limited use of InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe, Bridge, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver.

Unfortunately, this new rate of about $62 per month (after Canadian $ conversion) is making me re-evaluate my subscription and perhaps go back to my one-time purchased CS5 Design suite. The CC CS6 suite has some nice features but I cannot justify this high monthly cost. At $744 (after $ conversion and taxes) per year, I am essentially buying a new Creative Suite EVERY 2 1/2 YEARS.

I am better off, purchasing the Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium at $1899.00 and upgrading every 3 - 4 years at a cost of $375.

Thanks for reading.

Respectfully,

Shawn

• 13. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                  mototeddy Community Member

I would be interested in the response to this as well.  If it's possible to get my old rate back I most definitely would be interested.

• 14. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

I should have wrote, "I am better off, purchasing the Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium at $1899.00 and upgrading every 2 years at a cost of $375."

So....

Let's do some basic arithmatic

CC Suite is $49.99 x 12 = $599.98 per year || $1199.76 / 2 years || $1799.74 / 3 years || $2399.72 / 4 years || $2999.70 / 5 years || $3599.68

When you compare to purchasing the Creative Suite 6 Design & Web Premium at $1899.00 and then upgrading every 2 years at a cost of $375, it only takes 4.5 years before the CC subscription begins to surpass the 'owning' the product license model. Of course, the Adobe finance people know this very well and that is why the subscription model is absolutely adored!

My graph clearly illustrates this... hopefully I don't annoy the Adobe people with this... not my intention.

Adobe CC costs.png

I am rounding values and not taking into account regional price differences nor am I accounting for price increases.

I should add that at a subscription rate of $29.99 per month, Adobe still stands to make significantly more money, over the long term... but the mid-point is just over 9 years, rather than 4.5 years and that is a more palatable proposition... I am guessing... for most of us.

Adobe, don't be greedy!

• 15. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

Hi Shawn

I understand your concerns that Creative Cloud may not be the best option for you.  You can still upgrade to CS6 but this is the last version that will be available as a perpetual license.

Promotional pricing is available to new Creative Cloud customers for the first 12 months and then renews at the regular price as per the subscription terms.

Kind regards

Bev

• 16. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

Beverley Gray wrote:

Hi Shawn

I understand your concerns that Creative Cloud may not be the best option for you.  You can still upgrade to CS6 but this is the last version that will be available as a perpetual license.

Promotional pricing is available to new Creative Cloud customers for the first 12 months and then renews at the regular price as per the subscription terms.

Kind regards

Bev

Hello Bev, I think you missed the point of my message.

It isn't about CC not being the best option but about Adobe reaching the point of where they have essentially become a monopoly (or an indispensable tool) and now your executives are now going to take all that they can from the people who are responsible for Adobe's financial success.

Please don't misunderstand, I am certainly not against a software company profiting from their hard work but I believe it is important not the cross the line to asking so much that it is clearly greed driven. The topic of this post is not an isolated one. There are grumblings about this subscription model and it may result in a backlash.

Adobe doesn't even offer a one-time yearly rate discount!

You are welcome to pay,  "Creative Cloud complete plan — one year, prepaid plan. One convenient payment; no monthly billing US $599.88"

$599.88 IS $49.99 x 12 = no discount! Seriously?

Anyhow, no sense in complaining about this here and I understand that you likely cannot affect change.

• 17. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                          tryscotty Community Member

I own photoshop cs6 and lightroom5. Because of this, I presume, I was offered CC for $19.99 per month and I did sign up. Now its going up to $49.99? I just received the nothic today. I don't use any other program except what I already own.I actually use the extended cs6 version for 3d which mine does'nt come with, but that is all. I can upgrade to the full version of CS6 Extended for far less than $600.

Is Adobe open to discussion on this? They can see from my acct. I own the two softwares I mentioned.

• 18. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                            ssprengel MVP

Are you sure what the e-mail said?

$50/month is the price of the entire suite. 

$20/month is the price of a single-app, like PS-CC. 

$10/month is the price of PS-CC + LR, for a limited time.

• 19. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                              tryscotty Community Member

Yes I have the entire cc suite. It's regular $49.99 and I have it for $19.99. The email said it will renew at $49.99 I don't think I'll keep it because I really just use cs6 and lightroom. I own a licensed copy of the newest versions already.

• 20. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription

Hi tryscotty

Promotional pricing is valid for the first 12 months then you renew at the regular price for Creative Cloud which is $49.99 as stated in the email you received.

If you are only using Photoshop + Lightroom, you might want to consider signing up for the Photoshop Photography Plan for $9.99/month instead - https://creative.adobe.com/plans/offer/photoshop+lightroom

Kind regards

Bev

• 21. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                  mmarieden Community Member

Hi Shawn,

I'm sure if the price of CC increases, the price of the upgrades will increase as well.

Michelle

• 23. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                    michaelcuneo Community Member

This is something that I just noticed as well... I'm still a student, and getting the student price... well I was, until the year ran out and without notification I am suddenly being billed a ridiculous amount. What the hell? I didn't ask to pay more for seemingly no reason at all, why would anyone accept this... ever? I understand if the 'special deal' that I was receiving for the entire year suddenly ended and I was unable to have that deal anymore, then sure... after the year is up I would expect to be moved onto a plan with different pricing, but when the plan still exists but is inexplicably changed to a different plan for no reason at the end of one year... I'm fairly sure that's illegal, to just hope that people forget it has been a year and just bump the cost up like that. The only reason that I knew this was even happening was because I was leaving the correct amount of money in my bank to cover the costs, but they kept getting unpaid because I had the wrong amount in there... What the hell Adobe?

The price increase wasn't majorly huge or anything, but if you do that to a few million people every day hoping we all don't notice..., you'd be making millions more for nothing... that's just robbery. I really feel like I should be actually disputing these charges with my banks fraud department, because that's really basically what it is. I'm extremely unhappy with it.

• 24. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                      Rajshree Adobe Employee

I see that you have purchased CC this month only at a very reasonable price , initial year pricing at the promotional offer which you had enjoyed for the previous purchase.

Regards

Rajshree

• 25. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                        kristinb680 Community Member

I agree with several others who find the value at $29.99 to be fair and just for the complete access to CC. I primarily use Lightroom Photoshop and Premeire Bridge but have dabbled on the others...

When your income is social security it hits home FAST and HARD what one can afford and not...

At this time I have cancelled service

• 26. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                          Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

While I'm sympathetic to your situation, it's not necessary to post your message more than once. As a moderator, I've removed your duplicate posts.

• 27. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                            ariady Community Member

I’m one of the rest of Adobe communicty that haven’t jumped into Adobe CC yet. When I found this thread I can’t hold to add my thinking to this conversation.

I have to confess price increase is one of the most scary thing that hold me from subscribing. Once you jump into Adobe CC, you will be locked and you can’t open your artwork except you subscribe back again to the plan. The more user subscribe to the plan the more power in hand of Adobe to decide the fate of CC users.

The next thing is I still really like to see a new plan between the Photoshop Photography Plan and the Complete Plan. I’m a print and web designer. I never interested in using video software like Premiere or After Effects. I only use Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator. That is why I have Adobe Web & Design Premium CS6. I really hope Adobe can release something similar in CC version. I don’t want to spend on something that I don’t use. I also have limited SSD capacity. I don’t want to install the complete CC suite taking all my SSD capacity when I didn’t even use the software.

Cheers,

Agus

• 28. Re: Are there planned price increases for renewal of creative cloud subscription
                                                              Rajshree Adobe Employee

The CC runs on auto renewal, please refer to:

Adobe - Subscription Terms

Regarding the product that you want, going for single app Cc will suit you best, right there is no combo offer of Photoshop , InDesign & illustrator .

Regards

Rajashree