Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In a wheelchair and desperate.

Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new computer. I had used Digital Editions on my old computer to read several hundred books. After loading Digital Editions on my new computer I went online and checked out a book. Adobe asked for ID and password. Never seen that before. After a failed attempt I clicked on change password and tried again. It said it was still wrong so I checked the bot that allowed me to download without ID. Now I can't transfer anything to my Nook. I REALLLLY need to change this. How?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You must find the Adobe account/ID you were using when you bought the books on the old computer,

and register the new computer with that ID.

(If things were working before, the Nook must already be registered with that ID.)

• To change the password to a new one, try to login at the Adobe website and use the password recovery there.
    To avoid an ADE bug at the next step, make sure the new password doesn't use any characters except unaccented alpha characters and numbers.
  • Then on your new computer use ctrl-shift-D to deregister (cmd-shift-D if it is a Mac)
  • Then register again with the corrected password.

~~~~

Download without ID is a very bad idea, as books can't be shared with other devices,

And con't be used even on the original device after any change to authorization.

I hope it was only a library book you checked out.

This is a vicious trap that Adobe lays for unsuspecting customers.  (looks like you were lucky and only had a toe in the trap)

They do give very mild warnings, but not nearly strong enough.

When you register 'without ID', ADE creates an anonymous/implicit ID with limited powers (eg can't be used to share with other devices).

Whenever you first load a DRM book, that copy of the book is associated with whatever ID the computer is registered to at the time.

Any book you load while this anonymous ID is active gets associated with that ID, and can't be read on any other device.

When you properly register your computer with a real ID, that old anonymous ID is lost.

Now you don't have any devices that can read the book.

The only way I know round this is to use a DRM stripper such as epubee BEFORE you deauthorize the device.

I do NOT advocate using such code to get around the valid limitations placed on a DRM book.

However, where the problem arises only because of the ineptness of Adobe's ADEPT DRM infrastructure and its implementation,

such a measure is totally justifiable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines