• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much Ram do I need? (getting a new laptop, help me please!)

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So I'm in the market for a new laptop since my current one can't manage at all.

I've found an MSI laptop that I really want :

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-STEALTH.html#specification

It's a gaming laptop but it's got all the specs I've been looking for and the thiness and lightness of it is just astounding.

The only problem is that it's only able to have 16 GB of RAM, will this be enough?

I mostly use Premiere pro cs6 where I'm confident that 16 GB will be enough, I'm a bit worried about After effects cs6 though. I don't use AE everyday and when I do it's as a hobby but I do still sometimes use it quite a bit, at the same time as running Premiere. And once I get a laptop that can actually handle AE I will probably start using it more.

So what do you think, will 16 GB of Ram be enough?

I am currently using a laptop with only 6 GB (and it's a nightmare, although the other specs of this laptop aren't really worth smiling about either)

I would really appreciate any and all help!

/Lisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, 16GB is plenty.

See this page for information about hardware for Premiere Pro and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

See this page for resources about making Premiere Pro and After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your fast answear! I will study up on those links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lisa,

I just purchased a very similar self-upgraded configuration (ASUS G750JW) and theortically if you set it up and tune it properly you should be satisfied based on my PPBM benchmarking of my unit..  The only big concern I have is while your MSI unit has only a 120 watt AC "brick", my unit with the same CPU, GPU, similar RAM and disks requires a 180 watt AC "brick".  I am hoping that they do not throttle back performance to keep the power down which would certainly be disappointing.

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I just recently realised that the graphic cards in all of the laptops I've been looking at are not supported by neither Premiere pro cs6 nor After effects cs6.

I don't know how to go about this, all advice I've been given is basically to go with a gaming laptop since they've got the power and specs needed for video editing aswell. But now it seems that all gaming laptops use video cards that are not supported by adobe.

I know that you could hack PP and AE and make it use your GPU but I'm not sure that I'm ready to do that.

So what do I do? Do I buy a gaming laptop and look into the posibility of switching out the Graphics card? Will my programs run;

GeForce GT 750M

GeForce GTX 760M

GeForce GTX 765M

GeForce GT740M

or any other of the other commonly used Nvidia graphic cards in gaming laptops anyway, or would I need to hack? (I am not feeling too confident about hacking)

/ Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For CS6, the hack is very simple... as long as the card has at least 1Gig of video ram

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I just recently realised that the graphic cards in all of the laptops I've been looking at are not supported by neither Premiere pro cs6 nor After effects cs6.

That is not a correct characterization.

The GPUs that you list are supported for use by these applications.

In the case of After Effects, there is one---and only one---feature that doesn't work on the cards that you list... and it's a feature that you don't need to worry about: GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer. That's all.

Put differently:

"IMPORTANT: A common misconception is that After Effects requires CUDA features of one of a specific set of Nvidia GPUs. That is not true. Only the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer requires this. The other GPU features work on any GPU that meets certain basic requirements, including AMD and Intel GPUs. See below for details."

(from this page: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects CS6 and After Effects CC)

The case of Premiere Pro is only somewhat different. You can use all of the features in the application; it's just that some of them will be faster with a certain GPU. Details:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and-adobe-premiere-pro.html

Also, the CC versions of these applications allow you to use any GPU that meets certain requirements for the features described above. It is here that you do enter into "unsupported" territory, because enabling the usage of the GPU for these features can put the system into an untested and unsupported state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva

When you read the lists of system requirements for PP and AE and scroll down to the list of supported Nvidia graphic cards none of the cards I listed are on it (only much older versions it seems). Which led me to believe those cards are in fact not supported.

(I also have to apologise and explaine that I only started reading up on graphic cards this morning so I may not be that well knowledged yet)

As I've been reading up a bit online it seems that I would have to go into the programfiles (or something along those lines) to enable it.

Are you telling me that these cards will infact work on their own? Or that the systems are able to work with the cards but I would still need to somehow enable them myself? Will the GPU acceleration work and will I get the Mercury playback?

The IT guy at an IT store I visited today told me I would have to do the "hack", even though it's not really a hack and probably shouldn't be described as such.

Thank you all for taking your time to help me out!

/ Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lists of cards that you are reading are lists of GPUs that provide certain extra features, as described above. This is very different from saying that cards not on the list aren't supported at all for basic use of these applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> even though it's not really a hack and probably shouldn't be described as such

It is, and it should.

If you use that "hack", then you do put your compuer in a state that Adobe will not support. I.e., people like me won't help you with any problems that you encounter while this hack is on place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answears and I am aware that the hack would be on my own risk and it's not something I feel comfortable doing. I was under the impression that was basically my only option and so I considered it.

I apologise if I have a little trouble understanding what you are explaining (might be a mix between not knowing enough about gpus and English not being my native language).

I'm sorry about the inconvinience but I would like to take the chance to clear things up just a little bit more.

Will I be able to use the mercury playback with these cards?

Will I be able to use gpu acceleration with these cards?

The way I am understadning you the answear to both questions are yes, I just want to clarify and be certain.

Thank you so much for your help once again. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>use Premiere pro cs6

>Will I be able to use gpu acceleration with these cards?

No... not without the hack to add the card to the text file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lisa, do not be afraid of "the hack" it is a simple text edit of the Adobe file "coda_supported_cards.txt" where you enter the name of the nVidia graphics card and then save it.  My ASUS G750 happens to have a GTX 765MX card and here is the top portion of the edited file on this laptop.  I bolded my change (this is Premiere 7 (CC). earlier versions will have fewer options.

GeForce GT 650M

GeForce GT 750M

GeForce GTX 285

GeForce GTX 470 Force GT

GeForce GTX 570

GeForce GTX 580

GeForce GTX 675MX

GeForce GTX 680

GeForce GTX 680MX

GeForce GTX 690

GeForce GTX 765M

GeForce GTX 770

GeForce GTX 780 \

GeForce GTX TITAN

Quadro CX

Quadro FX 3700M

Quadro FX 3800

Quadro FX 3800M

Quadro FX 4800

Quadro FX 5800

Quadro 2000

Quadro 2000D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines