• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

e-book download problems

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am unable to download books from my local library, i have ade version 1.72 installed after the same probs. occurred with vers. 2.00. because i have windows vista on my pc.apperently. Every time i try to download an e-book (also applies to some free adobe e books)  it downloads as a urll link that will not download - i get an error message from adobe READER stating ' couldn't open urll link due to the file type not being supported or damaged because it was sent as an e-mail attachment & not correctly de-coded) any help in very basic computer speak would be much appreciated !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably need to make sure that .acsm files are associated with ADE (digital editions).

First to make sure it is working apart from that,

• start ADE
  • open Windows Explorer (or Mac Finder)
  • find the downloaded .acsm file in your Downloads directory
  • drag-drop it onto the running ADE.

If that doesn't work there is a different issue, please post back.

If it does work try as below ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes the registration of ADE to Windows as the default hander for .acsm and .epub files does not work;

that is what causes the double-click in Explorer to fail; and usually prevents opening from the browser as well.

especially in Windows 8/8.1, and maybe others;

this appears to be a bug in Windows (for once not a bug in ADE).

Two possible ways round it.

First, try to force it in Explorer

Right-click on a .epub file (and repeat entire sequence for .acsm if necessary)

Select 'open with' if on the list, 'open' if not.

Select 'choose default program'

Select ADE if it is on the list,

If not select 'more options' and navigate to the ADE executable (may be at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe)

Now .epub/.acsm files should be associated with ADE, and double-clicking should work.

Sometimes, Windows allows you to go through all that, but then refuses to make the association you have asked for.

In that case, the only way I know is to use a third party file association program.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Types.shtml works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your prompt reply, i have managed to drag & drop into ADE a free e-book and also a library book. But when i try the next part ADE is not showing in the default list or 'more options', Adobe is showing but on opening the file , all that is in there is Acrobat, Flash player & Reader !               So sorry if I seem thick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I left out a step.

At the bottom of 'More Options' list is 'Look for another app on this PC'.

Select that, then navigate to the ADE executable (may be at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Digital Editions\digitaleditions.exe) and select it.

You may have to do a few more 'confirm's or 'ok's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brilliant !! this seems to have worked, thank you so much. I 'm afraid I now have another query, how do I get my husbands Kobo set up on ADE. I have tried to download another ADE set up but it will not allow this. I have set up a different e-mail address & Kobo account but am now stuck (again). Any ideas please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you use just ONE Adobe account for all your devices and your husband's.

That way you can share books.

You can use up to 6 devices total (including PCs, ereaders, tablets, etc).

If the Kobo is a dedicated ereader (not a tablet) you should be able to plug it into a computer running ADE (Kobo turned on)

and it should show up in the left panel of ADE under devices.

Then, assuming you have authorized ADE on the computer first, use Library/Authorize Device (v1.7.2) or menu/Help/Authorize Device (v2).

After that you should be able to drag books onto the Kobo in ADE, and then read them on the Kobo.

I'm not sure if it is necessary to have a Kobo account to read 'generic' Adobe DRM books (for example from a public library);

I think you only need it if you want to buy books from Kobo.

If the Kobo is a tablet it will behave differently; post back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this with various books , I can download and read them on my e-reader but  with my husbands, they download to the reader but when the book is opened, it shows an error message ' this document is not currently authorised for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in with the authorised ID and try again ' According to the local library, you have to use ADE to download books and can't use Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you should use ADE to download the books from the local library and then to transfer them to the Kobo.

You should not need to use any Kobo software on the computer for that at all.

To double-check,

1. plug your husband's Kobo into the computer and make sure the Kobo is switched on
  2. run ADE
  3. check the Kobo is showing up as a device in the left hand pane
  4. hit ctrl-shift-D on ADE (cmd-shift-E if on a Mac).  This should go through a sequence to deauthorize the Kobo.
  5. restart ADE (Kobo still plugged in)
  6. use Library/Authorize Device (ADE v1.7.2) or menu/Help/Authorize Device ADE (v2) to reauthorize the Kobo.
  7. find a recent library book that is working  ... make sure you can read it on ADE
  8. transfer it to the Kobo
  9. unplug the Kobo and test if you can read it.

If all that doesn't help, try

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

possible help with Kobo issues … I haven’t tried this

from post 23 in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1124380?tstart=0 by Shirltaylor, Jul 26, 2013

Yes it was extremely frustrating process to read any library books after the upgrade to Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.

Eventually it turned out that the process must have you sign out of the Kobo device Account under settings on the Kobo Device.

What we did was to remove all library books from the Kobo device and from the Adobe Digital Edition

Next was to sign out of the Kobo Device as well as the Kobo Desktop on the PC as well as exiting from Adobe Digital Edition.

Next was to start up Kobo Desktop and sign in.

Next was to connect the Kobo device to the USB port.

This resulted in the Kobo device being upgraded and Sync'd to the Kobo Desktop. Wait until the Sync is complete

Disconnect the Kobo device from the USB port

Next was to restart Adobe Digital Edition and using CTRL-SHIFT-D to deauthorize the computer and select Erase Authorization.

Next was to go back to Adobe Digital Edition, Help and Authorize Computer

Next was to reconnect the Kobo device to the USB port

Next was to select the Kobo device in the Adobe Digial Edition and Authorize the device

Next was to get a library book in the Adobe Digital Edition and then add it to the Kobo Device

Everything seems to be working from then on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for all your help, I will try the reply no.7 when I have re-gained my enthusiasm for things electronic !! Will post back if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines