1 2 3 4 Previous Next 353 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 11:27 PM by Chris Cox Go to original post
      • 40. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
        kopeeditor Level 1

Comparing the highest end Windows laptops available with DOS doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Neither does blaming Microsoft when every other major appapp runs just fine.

There is plenty of screen space for legible text and an image... Moreover, it's not even running properly on 30" 2560x1600 external monitors when linked to 8.1 machines.

• 41. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
          LukeW Level 1

@Trevor.Dennis, How do people manage to use Photoshop on an 11" Macbook Air? Well, they run it fine!

• 42. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

LukeW wrote:

@Trevor.Dennis, How do people manage to use Photoshop on an 11" Macbook Air?

Macbook.jpg

1 person found this helpful
            • 43. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
              Cheers Big Ears Level 1

OK a few points of common sense.  If your using the CC suite, ans want to use it well on the move, you pretty much need a high spec machine.  If you are in the market for a high spec machine then hd+ displays are quickly becoming the norm.  So in the position of buying a top spec machine any attempt to maximise the longevity of a $2k investment means getting a hd+ screen.

Currently the Cc suite, or at least major parts of it, are preventing windows users getting access to these top spec machines. 

As for why anyone wants a high res display.... well if you need to ask your probably in the wrong forum...

• 44. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

But what do you call high spec? And what is a good screen size and resolution?  Personally, there's no such thing as a laptop I feel completely comfortable with for running the CC applications, but I have to own one for shooting tethered and running workshops, plus it is nice to see how your shots and footage are working out while on the road.  So I have an MSI GT70 which has a 17 inch 1920x1080 display, i7 CPU, GTX680M,16Gb RAM, a pair of 128Gb SSDs in a raid0 for the boot drive, plus 750Gb HDD for data.  I put a lot of time into researching that purchase, and I have to say, it is a joy to use.  Especially the SSD raid0 boot drive that opens Photoshop in 1.5 seconds from cold, and about 1 second after that.

Guess how much thought I put into getting a 13 inch ultrabook with 3200 pixel wide display?  The answer is none, but that is because I did actually put some 'thought' into it.

OK so I have an iPad3 with whatever screen res that has, and Photoshop Touch is kind of fun to use on it, (but only as a play thing, and never to edit actual photographs) and the free Adobe app Ideas, is amazing, but they are not serious applications, and I wouldn't have the nerve to come on these forums and challenge Adobe staff members because they haven't made the full Photoshop run on the iPad.  I'm just grateful for the apps that have been designed for the small display with high dpi.

It also rankles when people come on these forums and talk to members of the Photoshop Development Team as if they are idiots, and that you could code a high dpi fix in a week if Adobe cared to take you on. With apologies to Chris Cox for making him blush…

http://photoshophalloffame.com/inductees/chris-cox/

• 45. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                  Cheers Big Ears Level 1

All well and good Trevor and Im sure the coices you made are perfectly suited to your needs.  However everyone has different requirements.

I note though that you really have no vested interest at all in the hd+ solution, nor experience working with cc, or viewing your creations on a 15" 3200×1800 screen.  So forgive me if I take your decision biased view out for a second.

Using photoshop is possible, infact not even a massive issue for advanced users who would normally only use the ui sparingly in the first place.

But look on it another way.  This is a massive opportunity for adobe.  When subscription membership was first rolled out, many voiced the worry about being hooked into software that now had no driving commercial reason to be improved.  Its currently in a near monopoly position.  Most, myself included, had no concerns as adobe have seemed an excellent corporation.

Now though at first user request for an upgrade, we are burned by non answer and left out to dry? 

What if (hypothetically) tomorrow adobe announced discontinued support for ssd boot drives?  Would you simply curse your own stupidity, probably not as you drives load every other bit of your software at lightspeed!  Or would you get a bit upset that apple users could use their ssd without issue, when adobe gave the statement "yeah, we know but we're working on it, no promises though". 

• 46. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                    Cheers Big Ears Level 1

As for Mr Cox, Ok I shot the messenger, I apologise to him for that.  I look forward greatly to congratulating him when he brings the update.

• 47. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                      Herbert2001 Level 4

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

But what do you call high spec? And what is a good screen size and resolution?  Personally, there's no such thing as a laptop I feel completely comfortable with for running the CC applications, but I have to own one for shooting tethered and running workshops, plus it is nice to see how your shots and footage are working out while on the road.  So I have an MSI GT70 which has a 17 inch 1920x1080 display, i7 CPU, GTX680M,16Gb RAM, a pair of 128Gb SSDs in a raid0 for the boot drive, plus 750Gb HDD for data.  I put a lot of time into researching that purchase, and I have to say, it is a joy to use.  Especially the SSD raid0 boot drive that opens Photoshop in 1.5 seconds from cold, and about 1 second after that.

Guess how much thought I put into getting a 13 inch ultrabook with 3200 pixel wide display?  The answer is none, but that is because I did actually put some 'thought' into it.

You (and others in this thread) are missing the point here, I feel - in my opinion even on my 27" @2560x1440 Photoshop's GUI borders on the small side. A while ago the Photoshop team spent a lot of time on redesigning the icons for the darker interface, and I think they could have implemented at least an option to increase the size of all the interface elements in steps.

It's not only an issue of scaling the buttons and interface elements, in my opinion - for example, the limited scalability of things like the curves panel is extremely frustrating at times. In Gimp the curves panel can be any size, and is completely scalable. In Photoshop users have to deal with this tiny graph window with even smaller slider controls at the bottom. The levels are even worse. And it does not make sense, because the user *can* scale the panel as big as he/she wants, but the graph and levels displays only scale up a little.

Even on a retina mac screen, with Photoshop adjusting to that resolution, nothing in Photoshop's GUI is scalable. The user has to accept the defaults GUI size as decided by the dev team. Why is that? Why is it not possible to scale any GUI element to any size we wish? Why deny the user this option?

The only reasons for such arbitrary limitations are, in my view:

- legacy code in Photoshop that prevents this, and it would mean a recoding of the GUI code

- the technical limits of the current GUI framework (is it vector based at all for example, or still bitmap based?)

- unimaginative thinking on part of the developers/product managers

- fear and/or laziness to change the status quo.

Software like Blender offers an overall ppi setting for the interface that allows the user to address this GUI issue, no matter the screen size and resolution. This works great on Mac, Windows and Linux - and then there is an additional option to zoom in on interface elements as well with <ctrl> middle mouse button. And this in an open source and free application.

That is how it should be done.

4k displays are almost here. In the upcoming years we will see even higher resolutions on our desktops. There are already too many varying screen size at different resolutions currently, and developers need to let go of their notion of statically sized GUIs and GUI elements and their contents, and replace it with a completely scalable, vector based approach.

This is 2013 (almost 2014 ;-) , not ten years ago. If other applications have no trouble dealing with different combos of screen resolutions and screen sizes, and at the same time offering a very accessible visual scalable interface for users with visual impairments as well, surely a commercial development team with decades of experience should be able to resolve this, rather than pointing their accusing finger to MS.

That only underlines the uncreative and problem-oriented thinking on the part of the Photoshop team, not creative, solution-oriented forward thinking.

C'mon Adobe devs, look upon this as a challenge and opportunity to implement a GUI that works across any size and resolution, and one that is truly scalable.

• 48. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                        jeroen.wilms

Hi all,

I too would really like to press for proper scaling of adobe products on windows 8.1. +1 for any lists this feature will end up on - just to keep it on there and get it to the top. I pay a monthly subscription fee for CC which I am considering to end with a claim on Adobe for not delivering their products as promised. Also, I hope someone can point me out a place on Microsoft forums to raise the issue as I recognise it is not only Adobe responsible. Please all help to raise it there aswell.

@Chris, if any information regarding an ETA is available - even if it's 2015.. - it would be greatly appreciated if you could share this with your community.

Regards

• 49. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                          Level 7

It is being worked on, but we have been working with Microsoft quite a bit to make this work.

But we cannot comment on unannounced versions of our software, much less third party software.

• 50. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                            Aviv_Heilweil Level 1

Hi,

I've just ordered dells Precision M3800 QHD+. Being an Adobe user reading this thread I have second doubts.

In official Dells Precision M3800 site it said it is cerified to work with Adobe. It even has its logo. How did you certified it if it is unusable?

• 51. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                              LukeW Level 1

Microsoft does not need to fix any bugs, take a look at what I found:

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/12/11/hack-makes-photoshop-and-illustrator-readable- on-surface-pro

Not that I recommend this unofficial hack though.

• 52. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                CactusSkyChris

Lol, it's not like people are asking to go backwards and need smaller dpi support.  We just got the Lenovo Pro 2 and are having the same problem.  Hopefully they will fix this on Windows 8.2....

• 54. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                  AdobePowerUSer

Just wanted to also add my voice to the chorus - is there any reason we cant allow the fonts on the tool bar to be larger?

Even if the icons are still too small this would at least make the app a little more usable - seems like a quick fix - there's already a setting for font size in the preferences - it just doesn't go big enough.

• 55. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                    Noel Carboni Level 7

LukeW wrote:

Microsoft does not need to fix any bugs, take a look at what I found:

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/12/11/hack-makes-photoshop-and-i llustrator-readable-on-surface-pro

Not that I recommend this unofficial hack though.

LukeW's post went by quietly without notice, but it's worth pointing out:

The tweak listed on the above page absolutely DOES work with Photoshop.

I just tested it with Windows 8.1.  When you change the display size, e.g., to "Larger - 150%", Windows does pixel upsampling to make the Photoshop UI elements - ALL of them - larger, and (on Win 8.1 at least) the display elements honestly don't look too fuzzy. 

Note that it DOES also result in the scaling of the image pixels, too, so 100% zoom isn't really 100%.  On a high PPI display this might be more acceptable than having very small UI elements, though.

On a high PPI display it might not be as crisp-looking as a true high PPI-aware application, but we don't yet have one of those.

Consider this screen grab from a 1600 x 1200 display set to 150%...

LargerUIElements.jpg

As far as other implications to the registry change, as long as you don't have other .manifest files along with your executables that are in conflict with those within the executables themselves - which should be very uncommon - it seems to be a change with little downside.

Now, be aware that such a tweak would have to be undone in the future, when Adobe DOES come out with a release that is high DPI-aware.  So if you do it, make clear notes to yourself on how to undo it.

-Noel

• 56. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                      William_Flanary

Chris I just purchased a new PC, and didn't realize this was an issue until I had already installed the latest CC apps. It doesn't seem to be an isssue with Lightroom or InDesign thankfully, but they are not my most used applications. I made the switch from Mac beacuse I like the new convertible PC's versitility. I have a VAIO Flip 15, but if I can't use the Adobe CC apps, it really does me no use.  I know you can not comment on new versions but I signed up for CC if I would have been aware of this issue, I would not have spent the money on a new PC. Now I don't know what to do??? This is EXTREAMLY frustrating.  If you can't give me/us an ETA on when I can expect this to work, can you please help me get reimbursed/credited for the Adobe portion of my investment. I've been a loyal Adobe user since I finished college, over a decade ago.

• 57. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support

On the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 forum it is indicated that using a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 makes PSE 12 useable.  While this somewhat defeats the purpose of the ultra high resolution capabilities of the yoga, will this indeed work?  Anyone try it?

• 58. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                          CactusSkyChris Level 1

Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 temporary fix:

I've set it to 2048x1152 and the type is barely legible, but better than 3200 x 1800.  There is really no difference from 1920 x 1080 and 2048x1152 in dreamweaver, the font sizes and layout is almost exactly the same, just extra space to work in.  The select menu are a little too big for their containers, and I think that's because the custom sizing is set to 150%.

• 59. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                            Level 1

When you say "barely legible" is it workable?  Or is it such a strain that it is not?

• 60. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                              Aviv_Heilweil Level 1

Hi

Can anyone say (or show) how Flash Professional CC and Flash Builder looks like on HiDPI? (on native resolution)

Does CS6 works better or does it have the same problem?

Cheers

• 61. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                p0gue Level 1

Yep, Luis' manifest hack works very well.  No more tiny UI.  Adobe turned off Windows scaling, so now we have to hack the software to turn it back on.  I am amazed that Adobe wouldn't offer this as a suggestion to those of us who have been hassling for months with tiny UIs and begging for assistance.

For me, this hack is actually more useful for other Adobe apps than for Photoshop.    In Photoshop I often need all 3200px when I work on hi-res photography, so in those cases I would turn the manifest hack off  (easy.. just check 'disable display scaling' in the application properties).   However in Premiere, After Effects, Dreamweaver, etc.,   I never need 3200px, so this hack will be a semi-permanent fix until Adobe gets its hidpi act together.  The only downside is slightly less sharpness for text and icons.   I'll take that over microscopic toolbars, any day.   And as you say, it isn't that bad at all.   It's essentially the same as what I've been getting when I drop display resolution to 1920x1080 and rescale to 100%.   Now I don't have to log out of Windows.

Kudos, Luis the hacker, wherever you are.   I bet he's an Adobe dev...  Should be if he isn't.

• 62. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                  BIT-101 Level 1

I'm really curious why so much work needs to be done in conjunction with Microsoft to make this work. 99% of the applications I run on my Yoga 2 Pro look just fine. Even older, open source apps. Their teams don't have the resources that Adobe has and probably don't have a tight line to Microsoft to work on this problem. My point it not to attack, but to try to understand what it is that PhotoShop is doing differently that causes it to display this way and be apparently so exceedingly difficult to fix. If all my apps had this problem, sure, I would blame Microsoft.

• 63. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                    BIT-101 Level 1

Also... just used the hack mentioned in the earlier post and it works like a charm. This indicates that it is indeed something Adobe could fix rather easily. If I'm missing something fundemental, let me know. But PhotoShop now works just fine on this 3200x1800 display.

• 64. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                      p0gue Level 1

But PhotoShop now works just fine on this 3200x1800 display

It makes Photoshop usable, but it's not a real fix.   When you turn on Windows scaling, it scales the image along with the UI.    So if you're scaling at 200% you lose half the detail of your nice hi-res display.    Lightroom has proper hidpi scaling.   The interface is normal size, but the image is not scaled, you get all the resolution of your display.   Why Adobe can't just do the same thing in Photoshop is beyond me.

• 65. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                        BIT-101 Level 1

That makes sense. So it's equivalent to what some have suggested here, which is to change your screen's resolution, but without the hassle of doing that. Still, it's a better solution than what Adobe has offered, which is to say that it's Microsoft's fault, and they are working on a fix but have no timeline or promises of anything concrete. At least I don't cringe when I need to use Photoshop now.

• 66. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                          rderber

Just boght a Yugo 2 Pro for my son as his compter died...... he is in school and there should have been no problem detecting the hardware when Adobe downloaded CC on the trial.

Adobe either chose to not detect the hardware or did and chose not to say anything about icons you can't see. I spent a great deal of time trying to change the display to at least a readable size.... only to finally contact adobe support after some review on the web (yep, I am no techie so I missed this thread).....

Online support simply sayd no fix available.  I was sure this wasn't true as the text is 5 pt. on the screen... so I called tech support - something I am typically loath to do as I know the costs it places on the company.......

1 1/4 hour later, the music is still playing... I have found this thread.. 

I am stunned to say the least.  I am as old as Trevor.Dennis above (but far better looking.......  and I don't need to attack the adobe user community either!). And yes, we should be able to do work on the go.... with new technology that is best selling, and 13 inch screens that provide excellent resolution.  This seems to be no problem with all the other programs I had to load on this thing.....

This is truly aweful.... school is started.... I just took a morning off of work thinking I could install CC what was downloaded last night.... have been and Adobe supporter since Photoshop 3..... had my company stick with the product line as well - even though there are "free" pdf alternatives to AC professional....

Someone earlier said if the issues were simply made clear from the start - in the download when you can see what you are going to be operating on- I would be far more forgiving.   What I have done is lost a day because Adobe chose to not tell me about the lack of operability..... This is really a sad day, and a sad experience, and the music is still playing - I have cycled through the on-hold rep. now several times.....

No doubt most of you know the rant.......

• 67. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                            solidus-flux Level 1

Chris, thanks for maintaining your sanity in this thread despite the frustrated users. I see that Illustrator CC now has high DPI support in Windows 8.1 now (as of yesterday!), so I am hoping that Photoshop is not far behind!

I realize you are limited in terms of what you can comment on, and that you can't promise any particular time table.

Can you say whether Photoshop uses similar UI code to Illustrator? If the problem is solved in Illustrator, I am hopeful you can apply the same solution in Photoshop without having to handle too many "gotchas".

• 68. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                              Level 7

Photoshop does not use the same UI code as Illustrator.

And we are still working with Microsoft to resolve the issues.

• 69. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                solidus-flux Level 1

I appreciate the update. Thanks for dealing with Windows' growing pains.

Even their own utilities, like mmc.exe and flagship apps such as SQL Server 2014 do not support High DPI. This is new territory for them!

• 70. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                  middlep1 Level 1

I've been testing out the latest CC app updates and can say that the implementation of Illustrator CC 17.1.0 for HiDPI displays is very good, so far.  My only issue is that the document rulers aren't implemented with DPI scales and retain the standard 100% resolution scaling meaning the already tiny numbers on the rulers are incomprehensible on a 3200x1800 screen set to 150% or 166% scaling.  I do hope you can get Photoshop and the other CC apps updated ASAP like AE and PR, and stop us all giving you a headache!

• 71. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                    Gary.Voth Level 1

I'm late to this discussion, but I've been struggling with this for almost a year on our several Surface Pros. I have to say that I am a bit skeptical to hear the claim that Windows doesn't support the necessary APIs, with the implied subtext that the ball's in Microsoft's court.

Windows has had high-DPI support since Windows Vista. It's true Windows 8.1 has new per-display scaling, but MIcrosoft has been evangelizing resolution independent for almost 8 years.  (For more from Microsoft on this, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn469266(v=vs.85).aspx)

All the "Vista and newer" parts of Windows, as well as other major software (such as Office) are high-DPI aware. It's true that some older bits of Windows are not yet resolution independent, but they also don't declare themselves to be "high-DPI aware" as does Photoshop, so the OS can gracefully scale these components. (And on a QHD display such as that on the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, Windows can use pixel doubling just like a Retina MacBook, so things do not appear too fuzzy.)

It feels like Adobe moved a lot faster and put a lot more focus on supporting Apple's Retina devices. That's part of the frustration you are hearing from your Windows customers.

Honestly, if Microsoft was remiss in not communicating its plans to you early enough, or not giving you appropriate technical support, then I think they should be drug out to the woodshed too. But my gut tells me that Photoshop is too big and to scary to update to use newer APIs, and what you really intend is that Microsoft go back and "fix" a bunch of 25 year old GDI code. I don't think that's going to happen.

• 72. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                      RP123

Why don't you just remove the internal manifest that is currently disabling scaling, so users can choose for themselves whether to scale it or not? I've obtained a refund on CS6 and will not buy until this is sorted out. Such a shame not to be able to use Photoshop on Dell's superb display.

• 73. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                        Level 7

Windows had an attempt at High DPI support, that didn't work correctly, and was missing many necessary bits.  This is simply an issue where Apple was first to the ballgame with the hardware and APIs that worked.

Again, we are working WITH Microsoft on this issue.

• 74. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                          middlep1 Level 1

It's not about the internal manifest, that's simply a temporary and ugly hack to get Photoshop to scale up to what ever resolution is set, resulting in a blurry UI that is not optimised for HiDPI screens. A true HiDPI implementation on Windows will come eventually, that I am sure of since the latest Illustrator CC (17.1.0) now supports HiDPI resolutions (150%, 200% scaling)  However, as in the case of Illustrator, that HiDPI implementation will (99.9% certainty) only arrive for the latest CC version of Photoshop and not CS6, it makes no sense to support 2 branches of the same product, and given how Photoshop CC has moved on since CS6 there is whole bunch of code that has changed (Mercury engine etc...)  I believe the issue rests with Adobe, but Microsoft is called upon to help address issues with the develop environment Photoshop is built within to support for HiDPI, an environment probably different to that of Illustrator for reasons unknown  Take hope from Illustrator CC

• 75. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                            Gary.Voth Level 1

Thanks Chris. For the record, I am a loyal Adobe customer and don't want to get into a dispute with you guys. I am encouraged to hear that you are working on this.

I think what is unsatisfying about your response that Windows has had high-DPI support that "didn't work correctly and was missing many necessary bits" is that other complex software does seem to handle the high-DPI scenarios (more or less) well. In fact, we can now add Illustrator to that list. 

I appreciate that you may not be allowed to get into engineering specifics, but it would help a lot if someone at Adobe could provide more context about the difficulties facing Photoshop and some idea of what Microsoft still needs to do. After all, if they are holding up the show, you should want all of us yelling at them in the Microsoft Answer forums.  :-)

• 76. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                              TheCraigist81 Level 1

Now that a new Photoshop version has been released, that posted fix won't work as written anymore because the internal manifest in the program changed. 

But, I have put together some generic instructions that should work on most programs, even non-Adobe - I fixed Capture One's small interface this way too.  This will also work with the latest version of Photoshop.  You may need to do this again whenever a program updates.

1.  Allow Windows to execute external manifests by editing the registry: 

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
                                                                              2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide
                                                                              3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
                                                                              4. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
                                                                              5. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
                                                                              6. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal under Base.
                                                                              7. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
                                                                              8. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

2.  Download Manifest View from here: http://weblogs.asp.net/kennykerr/archive/2007/07/10/manifest-view-1-0.aspx
                                                                              3.  Open Photoshop.exe, CaptureOne.exe etc in Manifest View.
                                                                              4.  Run your text editor as administrator and copy the manifest here.  Remove leading dashes from word wrapped lines.
                                                                              5.  Add this above the final </assembly> tag:

<asmv3:application>

<asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">

<ms_windowsSettings:dpiAwarexmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>

</asmv3:windowsSettings>

</asmv3:application>

Note that CaptureOne already had this here, but marked TRUE.  Simply changed it to FALSE.

Save to the program folder and name it whatever.exe.manifest

Whenever a program updates, you may need to create a new manifest for it to work correctly.

To undo this fix, just delete the .manifest file from the folder.  To temporarily disable it, right click the .exe file and in the Compatibility tab choose "do not scale high dpi"

• 77. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                                BIT-101 Level 1

Chris, I understand what you are saying. I'm not totally sure I'm in agreement with the viewpoint that it's Microsoft's failing, but that's neither here nor there for now. I understand that you're working on it, with Microsoft, and that it may take a while longer.

In the meantime, do you understand that on a high DPI screen such as the Yoga 2 Pro, the user interface for PhotoShop is completely and utterly unusable? I will not use it because it is so painful to try to see the nearly microscopic menus and icons. I did the registry hack because it was so simple to do, but now apparently the new version makes that hack unworkable. So I can't update PhotoShop unless I want to go and do a much more involved hack.

So, in the meantime, is there ANYTHING you can offer to those of us on high DPI screens to make the user interface usable? I don't care if it's a workaround or a hack and is not the final true solution to the problem. I understand you are striving for excellence, but the bottom line is that we are left with a broken, unusable product in the meantime.

At this point, I guess I will not update PhotoShop and stay with my old registry hack, unless there is some better idea.

• 78. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                                  TheCraigist81 Level 1

There was a small change to Photoshop's manifest file in the new version.  Follow my directions above to extract it from Photoshop.exe and copy it into your photoshop.exe.manifest, then copy in the tags to disable dpiAware.

• 79. Re: Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support
                                                                                    TheCraigist81 Level 1

Sorry about the weird formatting, I copy/pasted and that's what it came up with

1 2 3 4 Previous Next