Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MXF frame read errors and general render errors since update to CC

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there folks,

Being a Creative Cloud member for a while now I share the benefits of immediate updates of CC products. However, I also get to deal with the downsides, it seems.

Since I updated to CC versions of the entire Adobe Collection I experienced unprecedented trouble with After Effects. I'll mention the most pertinent errors:

- I used to render short compositions to uncompressed HD Quicktime, functioning as a master render for future sorts of output for my clients or just to have optimum quality before further conversions. For some reason AE CC has been generating all sorts of video dropouts lately, especially when audio render is set to 'auto'. Furthermore I noticed that the only audio res that I can choose in case of an uncompressed QT render is 8000 Hz. This is new in AE CC, I don't understand the reason for this modification since the previous AE versions never had this limitation.

I must mention the fact that other output formats and codecs also suffer from dropouts, be it less frequently than QT uncompressed.

- Imported MXF files from my customers which I incorporate in AE compositions are also full of dropouts. Every dropout shows up as a single frame (two fields) of red or black. Premiere Pro encounters the same problem and reports the dropouts as frames with a read or decode error. I checked some older MXF files in previous AE projects that have been rendered and delivered perfectly in the past, but these old MXFs now appear to have the same issue. I tested the older and the new MXF on another PC that wasn't updated to CC versions and found no dropouts at all. Something must have changed in the updated codecs that belong to the CC version. All MXFs play fine in VLC player on all systems, so it's not the video source being faulty. Anyone recognize this?

I do get notifications of CC product updates, but is there a way to just update the codecs? Maybe there is a better codec for MXF.

Any help is truy appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Give that a try and let me know how well it works

_n.

That post was from a year ago. Most of these red frames issues should be resolved. Glad you were able to solve your own issues.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this regarding the audio issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5938627#5938627

Regarding your MXF issue: We need more information. MXF is just a broad container type. What exact kinds of MXF files are you having trouble with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2014 Jan 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd and thanks for your answer. I am a bit late responding, but nevertheless.

Audio issue is clear now, thanks for the link. Leaves me with the questions regarding video dropouts that occur quite often in any rendered output format and codec, whereas AE very rarely used to generate dropouts in the past, almost never actually; and the other question regarding the MXF frame read/decode errors in both Premiere and After Effects and even the Media Encoder.

In answer to your question: the specs of the troublesome MXF files are:

Format XDCAM HD 422
Codec MPEG2
4:2:2 Profile (422P) @ High Level (HL)
Bitrate 50 Mbps
Constant Bit Rate (CBR)
Display aspect ratio 16:9
1080i/25 1920 x 1080 25, 50 fields Interlaced

Export from Avid. Used to work flawlessly until CC update.

Hope this rings a hidden bell 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

I hope you can find some time to look at the specs I posted on your request to bring me a little further. I am still having trouble with renders that contain dropouts and imported MXFs from lots and lots of customers that seem to have dropouts although playing such MXFs in VLC player proves it's not the MXFs being wrong, but After Effects/Premiere Pro/Adobe Media Encoder. I am starting to lose customers. Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using and what are your system's specs?

Where are the MXF files residing? Local hard drive? External? If external, how is it connected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2015 Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this an issue thats been fixed yet? it seems that its not specific to a camera, operating system, or computer specs, but more premiere having an issue reading any MXF file.

This did not used to happen with older versions. and it should be fixed. its been 2 or so months since the original post about this issue. and its really bogging down our work flows. even so to the point where we may need to use another application to get our work done.

IF THERES A FIX CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POST IT. SERIOUSLY IMPEDING MY ABILITY TO FINISH ANYTHING.

Osx Mavericks

Canon C300

Premiere cc14

2 x 2.66 ghz 6 core processors

12 GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2048 MB

mercury playback - CUDA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having MAJOR problems with RedFrames and .MXF in PremPro 2014.1

There has been an update, and they seem to have fixed it.

It Is Premiere Pro 2014.2

your update should show your software looking like this.

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 8.30.11 AM.png

This is the release you want. No More red frames with canon .mxf footage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got that update. Now I still have skipping frames and choppy playback but no red frames. So far…

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

CM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

If you still encounter red frame issues in 8.2 build 65 please try deleting the associated xmp and media cache and then reimport the files.

Hope all goes well. Best!

Peter Garaway

Adobe

Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have exactly the same troubles...

in premiere, prelude and AE.

on two different computers. (same OS, and latest AdobeCC)

OSX 10.9.1

MXF:

Codec: 422P@HL Long-GOP 50Mb

UpperField Interlaced

we worked with these mxf-files in the past with adobe applications and also with other apps like QT and FCP without any trouble.

now there is a (codec?) - problem in all adobe-apps...but only in the adobe-apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to same problem.  MXF files are stored locally and are playing OK, but when I use transitions or FX it give the decode error.

Also rendering does not work.

I deleted cache, but nothing worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2014 Oct 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same issue in premiere pro cc 2014

In timeline the frame is red and even exporting a few frames of the clip takes a long time.

br Lars

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, having this EXACT same issue as well. Have deleted cache and tried various suggestions in the forums. Nothing seems to help.

The only thing that temporarily solves it is restarting Premiere... I'll get a few minutes of editing without the issue, then it just pops back up.

Any bug fixes in the works??

Premiere CC 2014 8.1.0 (81) build

Mac OS 10.9.5

GTX680 card

MXF File details:

Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal)

File generated by: CANON, EOS C300 PL (1.00)

MPEG-2 422 Long-GOP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My whole production house has this Red Frame MXF read issue since the 8.1 update.

It is serious. You are not alone.

Dumping cache and other general fixes are not exporting video consistently with out errors.

I have lost weeks worth of work. I am redoing them in CS6 - which still runs solid.

Soooo sad. keeping my eyes open for a fix or a new patch from Adobe.

Bests!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still find red frames in exports to H264

original files in this codec:

Format XDCAM HD 422

Codec MPEG2

4:2:2 Profile (422P) @ High Level (HL)

Bitrate 50 Mbps

Constant Bit Rate (CBR)

Display aspect ratio 16:9

1080i/25 1920 x 1080 25, 50 fields Interlaced

adobe premiere pro cc 2014.2 release 8.20.0 (65) build

Mac Pro Mid 2012 Yosemite

24 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro K5000

No problem until last update...

Any solution or update in future?

Hope to hear from Adobe.

Bart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2015 Jan 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like often, it's better to wait a little until there's enough people experiencing the same problem. So everyone here: thanks for responding to my post! In the end it seems to have helped, considering the update of Adobe. I am still a little precautious, because some MXFs give no red frames at all (input side I'm talking about) and others still do, but then the strange thing is that scrubbing the MXFs forth and back a bit results in having less red frames to none at all in the end. The red frames now disappear and then re-appear on different points in time of the MXF file, whereas I always found them being bound to specific and unchanging points, especially on the first frame of a scene change for instance.

Anyway, Adobe Media Encoder is not suffering from this problem, so there is a workaround, converting the footage before using it in AE and Premiere. That's good enough for now. But the problem hasn't vanished yet. Another problem that I had with rendering uncompressed HD Quicktime videos that always generated dropouts has all of a sudden magically disappeared. Thanks Adobe. I see progress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still got them (red frames) over here.

no fun exporting at all....

only in MXf files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

downgrading Premiere and Media Encoder back down to 2014.1 will resolve the red flash issues in mxf files and .h264

we've been using 2014.1 for several months now without any issues. 2015.2 might have fixed some of this but we've noticed too many bugs still in it so were sticking with what we know works, which is 2014.1

heres the best way to do it. uninstall premiere and media encoder inside creative cloud. then under apps tab, scroll to find additional apps and click previous versions. then go to premiere pro and click install CC2014. heres where you have to watch the install. keep an eye on the installation in creative cloud and then when you see it change to updating, click the X to cancel. this will keep the original CC2014 version without updating it.

Now do the same thing with media encoder CC2014 but cancel before the update.

Finally go this site and download the CC2014.1 update for both Premiere Pro and Media Encoder

MAC - http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2014-updates-links-mac.html

WINDOWS - http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2014-updates-links-windows.html

once downloaded, install the CC2014.1 updates and reboot.

THANK YOU PRO DESIGN TOOLS for keeping all the individual updates!! Without them this solution wouldnt be possible. Big props to them!

_n.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_n.

That post was from a year ago. Most of these red frames issues should be resolved. Glad you were able to solve your own issues.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I didn't have problems using MXF files (except for the red frames about a year ago) until I updated to the newest build of PremPro...

So now there are issues with MXF files:

FORMAT:

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate: 25,00

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 24 bit - 8 channels

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - 8 channels

Total Duration: 00:01:42:15

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1,0

MXF File details:

Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal)

File generated by: Avid, InterplayMAM.MPI (4.3.6.963.1)

MPEG-2 422 Long-GOP

ISSUE:

When I render a timeline it starts (both in PrePro and Media encoder) but randomly ends the render and gives an error: 'failed'...

Build is ProCC 9.2 zigzag...

Its a major issue as I need to edit big amounts of MXF's for a TV show and now, I can't show renders...

Playback in the timeline works tough...

Please advice!

Thanks

Frank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having a red frame issue. This is the first time I used Premiere with XMF files. It works perfect with P2.  I am using 2015.2. What is the best way to have premiere and encoder work with MXF?

Thanks

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines