• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to PDF files

New Here ,
May 02, 2007 May 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am using RoboHelp HTML 5.0.1 and need to have a link on a page of my CHM output to open a PDF file in Acrobat Reader. I have used the topic in Robo's Help called "Linking to External Topics", done the steps exactly as it says, but it doesn't work. After I compile and open the CHM and click the link, I just get the "This page cannot be displayed" window. What is the correct way to get it to start Reader and open the PDF? Can it be done? Do I need to enter some sort of command to start Reader? Thanks.
Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul and welcome to the RH community. You need to use the Insert > Hyperlink menu item or toolbar icon. Then select the Link to > File option to select your PDF. The only other thing to ensure is that the PDF file has been added to your project's baggage files. If it hasn't, you can add it by using the New Baggage File right click menu item over the "Baggage Files" folder in your Project tab. That's all you need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I had tried this, and at first, it did not work. I did get it to work like this: I created a new folder in the project called PDFs. Then I put the PDF file in that folder with Windows Explorer, added it to the Baggage Files, and then linked to it with Link to > File. That got it to work. So thanks!! I wouldn't have thought of this if you hadn't pointed me to the baggage files again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2007 May 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as docpaul except I'm using Webhelp. The PDF will open from the Preview window but not from generated Webhelp. From generated Webhelp, I can save the PDF from the right-click menu, but I can't open it by clicking on the hyperlink. I tried docpaul's workaround, as best I understand it, but it didn't work. I don't see why it should work anyway, as it shouldn't matter how the PDF gets into baggage as long as it's in there where it's supposed to be.

It appears there is a real bug in this version of RH, as I've used many previous versions and never had a problem linking to PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neglected to mention in previous post, I'm using RH6. Previously used X4.1, in which I had no problem with PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lms88 and welcome to our community

Have you tried DE-selecting the "Mark of the web (MOTW)" option when you generate? The MOTW inhibits links like these.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks, Rick. That appears to do the trick.

If you could pass a note to Adobe, it's curious that the MOTW setting is enabled by default, and it's unfortunate that the Help file provides so little help/warning about it. Given that RH is primarily a Help development tool, it would seem most reasonable to assume that any code that triggers a popup blocker was probably included intentionally by the author and should be permitted to do whatever it was intended to do, in this case, display a PDF file.

Also, the "Linking to External Topics" article that docpaul referred to has not been updated to include this key piece of information.

Thanks again for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp