• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I cannot get Flash Player to install on my Mac

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot get Flash Player to install on my Mac Air.  I have repeatedly confirmed that I meet the system requirements and installed and uninstalled the software.  It always fails at 51% installation and give me and alert that says Install Error.  Please help!

MAC OS 10.8.5

Safari 6.1

Firefox 26.0

Just performed the update to FP12 on my iMac.  Worked perfectly.

MAC OS 10.6.8

Safari 5.1.10

Firefox 26.0

It appears the problem is with the newer OS...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the EXACT message "General Installation Error"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Allllllllrighty then!" as "Ace Ventura" said....

The problem ISN'T with Flash Player...

If you remember back in September, when Apple released the 10.8.5 update, shortly thereafter... you no doubt discovered a file named "mach_kernel" was in your Mac HD directory.  And... unaware of what it was, you deleted it.

That (mach_kernel) is a base file of OS X and Apple screwed up the update and made it "visible" when it's supposed to be hidden.

Hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting Mac Users worldwide deleted it and it'll make things worse as time goes by.

YOU'RE in luck, though. I have a fix.

If you have a TIme Machine and use the "Secrets" pereference pane to reveal "hidden files", you can restore it from a "pre 10.8.5" backup.

If not, I have a "fresh" mach_kernel file you can download.

You'll need to download and install the Secrets prefpane. It'll then be in your System Preferences.

Make sure you have it set to "show hidden files"

System PreferencesScreenSnapz004.jpg

Check the box and you have to restart Finder

Press "Quit This" and then go to the Finder Dock icon and right click it

System PreferencesScreenSnapz002.jpg

Select "Open"

System PreferencesScreenSnapz003.jpg

Open your TIme Machine

Go back to September 28 or earlier.

You'll see the mach_kernel file in the Mac HD directory

(I can't show it in the TM because screenshots don't work while it's open but here it is in my MAc HD)

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Right click it and select "Restore to"

Then, when it goes back to Finder, choose the Mac HD directory and click OK.

It will place the mach_kernel back where it was and you can install software again

DON'T FORGET to go back and hide your files (and restart Finder) again, or you'll have a mess with the clutter of hidden files everywhere.

IF you don't have the Time Machine...

WITH hidden files shown, download this file (mach_kernel.zip)

Move it to your Mac HD directory and THEN unzip it with Stuffit Expander or TheUnarchiver, whichever you use (most people have Stuffit).

You should see the mach_kernel file there.

You can delete the zip file, and then go back to Secrets in your System Preferences, and uncheck Show Hidden Files.

Restart Finder and it'll be safely hidden again.

THEN you can install Flash Player and other software without the "General Installation Error".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am having some trouble wiht that.  It seems straight forward, but I can't find a Secrets Pref Pane... I don't have a Time Machine back-up on the laptop...  also, when I click on the mach_kernael.zip link, I just get a folder in my downloads folder...  I think you are going to have to take a few more baby steps with me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Secrets" pereference pane

Download from that link, and install it.  THAT's the first step. THEN you can go into System Preferences and you'll find it:

sect copy.jpg

The mach_kernel file can be downloaded by right clicking (mach_kernel.zip) and selecting "Download Linked File".

It'll download as a zip file.

mkzip.jpg

It should open with a double click, BUT... make sure it's in your Mac HD directory BEFORE you open it.

If you need Stuffit expander. It's free in the AppStore

app.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I downloaded Secrets, and now my computer appears to be dead. It wants me to reload the MAC OS. It won;t do anything else except the Disk Utilities. I am emailing you from my other computer.

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:51:22 -0800

To: bourkemilligan@hotmail.com

Subject: I cannot get Flash Player to install on my Mac

Re: I cannot get Flash Player to install on my Mac

created by Mike M in Installing Flash Player - View the full discussion

"Secrets" pereference pane

Download from that link, and install it. THAT's the first step. THEN you can go into System Preferences and you'll find it:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6038201-539195/450-476/sect+copy.jpg

The mach_kernel file can be downloaded by right clicking (mach_kernel.zip) and selecting "Download Linked File".

It'll download as a zip file.

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6038201-539196/162-195/mkzip.jpg

It should open with a double click, BUT... make sure it's in your Mac HD directory BEFORE you open it.

If you need Stuffit expander. It's free in the AppStore

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-6038201-539197/450-183/app.jpg

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6038201#6038201

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Installing Flash Player at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Mike,

I am now desparate.  I downloaded that Secrets preference form the link, and my laptop is now dead.  the screen went blank and when I restarted it, I got a circle with a slash trough it and then it rebooted, but acted like it was a brand new computer asking if I wnated to use English.  After that, it went straight into OS Utilities and said something about the Boot drive was damaged.  I am guessing I am screwed at this point, but if you have seen this before and have any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the missing mach_kernel file.

I saw a few like this in the Apple forums.

Unfortunately, the ONLY thing that can be done is to reinstall OS 10.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 hour and 1 minute remaining.  I will let you know when I am finished, but I am guessing if that is successful, then I will probably be able to install FP12 without any problem.  Do you know if there are any compatibility issues with Secrets and 10.8?  The website only mentions 10.6....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used "Secrets" with EVERY OS since 10.6, and it worked alright with that too. I have it installed on 10.6, 10,7, 10.8 and 10.9 right now. No troubles with any of them.

Once you get the OS reinstalled, and run the 10.8.5 update, if the mach_kernel reappears:

As an admin user, Copy/paste this into terminal, then hit return.

sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel 

It will ask for your password. Enter it, but you won't see it echo back on the screen. Just type it and hit return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you  prefer I run 10.8.5 over 10.8.6... Then I suspect the terminal prompt hides the mach_kernel file... after that, will it be ok to run the 10.8.6 update?

Never mind... I am confusing software installs... my iMac has 10.6.8....  I guess I am dyslectic on top of everything else....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it downloaded 10.8.5, so that was up to date.  The FP12 installation went as smooth as it should have.  I have updated the other items that were out of date with the OS re-install.  Now, before i start playing with Secrets, I am going to turn on time Machine and let the computer back-up tonight.  Something I should have done a long time ago.  Thanks for all of your help Mike.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike! Thankyou sir - you fixed my issues. I didn't think I deleted the mach_kernal but I was wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would be great if you guys could pin this to the top of the discussions thread, as it took a bit of digging back to find this info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines