• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scroll an image across the screen?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I'm working on a little project in PRE and need some help...

I have an image that I would like to scroll (crawl) across part of the video, dissolving in and dissolving out on either side. Sort of like a news ticker, but with an image.

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to how to acheive this? (Using PRE 10 on Windows 7)

Thank you!

TOPICS
Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

dimelives,

I do not know if this will help in your particular instance, but sometime ago, I did a tutorial on Fading a Title Crawl: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8191&p=72581#p72581

If that is not what you want, then please disregard.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

Do you have any experience with keyframing properties such as Motion/Position and/or Scale or Opacity?

To vary a property across a clip rather than have it apply to the whole clip, enter the concept of keyframing a property.

However, you might want to explore and experiment with the following to achieve your described goal....

Embed you image in the program's Titler, scale and position at the bottom of the frame (Title Menu/Image).

Apply Crawl effects such as Crawl Left or Crawl Right as well as Start Off Screen and Start On Screen (Title Menu/Roll Crawl Options).

Then at the Timeline level, right click the title file, Fade/Fade in Video and next repeat with Fade/Fade out Video.

Then adjust what you have accordingly.

Please review. If you think it shows promise we can fine tune the details based on more details from you.

Thank you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, A.T. Thanks for your response.

To answer your first question, I have only rudimentary experience with keyframing. I've primarily used them for customized fades and moving crop areas around. So I'm a bit of a newb in that department.

But I did start to try your second suggestion. I got as far as embedding the image into a title, scaling and positioning it. But when I try to apply an effect (under "Animation" - is that the right place to be looking for this?), the option to apply is grayed out. I've got the clip selected, I'm able to preview the animation effects, just not apply them. Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks.

PS: Slight correction from my OP - I'm using PRE 11, not 10 (if that makes any difference here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

Good morning.

If you are using Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace instead of 10 Timeline workspace, then

Text Menu/New Text/Default Text

When the Titler opens, get rid of the default "Add Text"

Then, Text Menu/Image/Add Image

Scale - Position Image in Titler

Then, Text Menu/Roll Crawl Options

Apply Crawl effects such as Crawl Left or Crawl Right as well as Start Off Screen and Start On Screen.

Close out of Titler.

Then at the Timeline level, right click the title file, Fade/Fade in Video and next repeat with Fade/Fade out Video.

Please let us know how that turned out.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, A.T.

I'm at work right now, so I'll have to try this out a little later. I'll report back once I've taken a crack at it. But thanks in advance for your help! Hopefully this will get me squared away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimenlives

Thanks for checking that out.

It should work depending on the original frame aspect ratio of the original and the scaling that needs to be done or not done to size the image at the bottom of the frame.

I will offer a step by step using the keyframing from Motion Panel properties if that does not work, but, if that works, it is probably quicker.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.T.,

Great news - the method you laid out accomplishes almost exactly what I want to do!

The only difference is that instead of having the entire image fade in and fade out, I was envisioning it crawling in from one side, entering from a transparent-to-solid gradient, if you will, and exiting the same way on the other side. As if the image was passing through a gradient frame around outer edges of the video. Do you get what I mean?

Here, let me just make up a quick "storyboard" of what I mean...

image-crawl.jpg

So we have the video going on in the background, and then the external image entering the frame on the right (1), passing through a transparency gradient, proceeding across the screen (2), and exiting the screen (3) in the opposite fashion as its entrance. Hope that makes sense.

Is this doable in PRE?

Thanks so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

Sounds doable. What is the required duration for this crawl? Will it be continuous from start to end of the video presentation below it? With each of the moving images be stills or video clips?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.T.,

It's just going to be one image, going across the video in one short moment out of the whole video (maybe 5-7 seconds).

And if possible, I'd like the whole crawl (the visible part of it, anyway) to be confined to a certain portion of the video frame (the upper left side), instead of across the entire length of the video as in my diagram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

Could you elaborate on

And if possible, I'd like the whole crawl (the visible part of it, anyway) to be confined to a certain portion of the video frame (the upper left side), instead of across the entire length of the video as in my diagram.

How does that become a crawl if it stays in the upper left side of the frame?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just mean I want it to start appearing around the upper center of the screen, crawl left, and disappear just short of the left edge of the screen (as in the diagram). That make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this:

image-crawl copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Side Question: Is there any way to LOCK a clip in Elements? I'm so tired of clips moving arbitrarily or accidentally getting cut when I don't want them to.)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

No locks as far as I have ever found. But, if you can Group a bunch of clips so that they move together if you need to relocate the group. Highlight altogether, right click in the selection, and select Group from the pop up menu. You can ungroup in a similar fashion.

Now to the crawling image....

Please confirm if that image is going to be a video or a still.

I think you meant still, but just want to be sure. If that is the case, what you want should be quick and easy with the Add Image option in the Text menu when the Titler is opened.

However, I have run into a few glitches in the "perfect plan" if we are dealing with a video as the Add Image in that route. For video choices, Add Image seems to offer AVI movie and QuickTime movie only. DV AVI will work, but I have yet to get a DV.mov or H.264.mov to work. And, even with the DV AVI, although I can embed it in the Title, it goes into the Title upside down. But, I can get that right side up easily.

The basic plan for the crawling to the left image is this

1. Text Menu/Add Image....

2. Scale, position image in Title so that you have it in that top left sector at the start.

3. Text Menu/Roll Crawl Option....here select Crawl and Crawl Left...but only select End Off Screen. Do not select Start Off Screen.

4. Close the Titler and right click the Title on the Timeline. Select Fade/Fade In Video. Then right click the Title again for the Fade/Fade Out Video.

Right click the video, select Show Clip Keyframes/Opacity/Opacity to see the Opacity (Fade) keyframes (white dots) on the orange line (called rubberband) that runs horizonally across the clip.

With the mouse cursor, adjust the keyframes accordingly.

Please review and see if we have targeted the goal or whether we need more fine tuning on this.

Thanks.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey A.T.,

Just chiming in real quick to confirm that yes, the image is a still, not a video.

I'll have to follow up with your instructions after work, but it sounds promising. I'll report back once I've tried it.

Thank you so much!

And thanks for the tip on grouping clips as a locking workaround; I'll have to try that. Seems silly that they didn't include locking in Elements. I know Premiere Pro had it, last time I used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

I have heard of locked Premiere Pro tracks - Premiere Elements does not have that feature.

So glad to learn the image is a still.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR,

Yes, the Track Locking feature is a great one in PrPro. For some years, I have filed Feature Requests to have that functionality added to PrE, but so far, no-go.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey A.T.,

Finally got the chance to try this out, and while I'm now able to start the image in the localized area that I want, I'm still not getting the kind of fade in/out that I wanted. It's still just fading in/out the entire image as it crawls across the screen. I only want the trailing edge (when entering the picture) and the leading edge (when exiting the picture) to have the fade, as shown in my last little image. So that, as the image comes into visibility, it's being "revealed" from transparency. As it continues its crawl, more and more of it is revealed. And then, as it exits, the leading edge disappears first, followed by the remainder of the image as it finishes the crawl.

Make sense?

Thank you,

dimelives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

Good morning. Just starting my day.

In a little while today I will post a YouTube video on what I described to see if we are in sync on this.

Coming soon.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives,

I do not know if this will help in your particular instance, but sometime ago, I did a tutorial on Fading a Title Crawl: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8191&p=72581#p72581

If that is not what you want, then please disregard.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt's example shows exactly what I'm going for. See how the crawl seems to pass behind a gradient "wall" at the end of its journey? That's what I've had in my head (would you call that a "wipe"?).

I'll have to try it out when I'm home from work, as I don't know if everything is the same in PrE 11.

Also, I'll have to figure out how to use the same "wipe" effect on the still image as it ENTERS the video too (Bill, if you have any tips here, it'd be much appreciated!).

Either way, I'll report back once I've tried this out.

Thanks, guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives,

If that is what you are seeking, and you have any questions, I will revisit my technique, as it turned out to be a bit more difficult in PrE, than I had imagined initially.

PrPro has some neat Effects (Linear Wipe Transition, which is not really a Transition, being one). I pulled out a bit of hair (do not have much to spare), to get that thing to work, as the poster, and I, wanted. Still, with a bit of work, and a couple of limitations, I managed to get what we both wanted then.

Good luck, and I'll study what I did, and what I wrote. I'm out of town for a long weekend, so do not think I have dropped the ball. Will look at the thread, as soon as I get back into town.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dimelives

In the spirit of never give up, I took a look at Hunt's suggestion which you feel represents what you are seeking.

I took another shot at the concept (not using his instructions) using the principles I cited originally but moving things around. YouTube sampling of this latest work is found

http://youtu.be/ILBCILUJ3XM

And the Premiere Elements 10 workspace from which it came looks like

CrawlImage.JPG

Any closer?

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.T.,

Thank you for all of your efforts and attention. You've been a big help. The only issue left with your take on the effect is that the image as a whole is fading in as it enters and fading out as it exits, whereas I only wanted the trailing or leading edges, respectively, to pass through a fade (see Hunt's video in the link he provided).

Using Hunt's instructions on the link he provided enabled me to achieve what I was after. And since I was using an image instead of text, I didn't even need to use a title - I just imported the still image directly into the timeline and went from there.

There is one quirk in the result of effect however - a bit of the crawling image shows a bit on either side of the frame, no matter how far off the sides you draw the matte rectangles. I don't know why it does this. In any case, there most definitely could and should be a straight-forward function to achieve this effect in PrE. It's not that unusual of an effect, I see it in advertisements all the time.

Anyway, thank you Bill Hunt, and thank you A.T., for all your guys' help! Cheers!

PS: I have grown a legitimate hatred for PrE's auto-shifting behavior and lack of clip lockability. The fact that you can't make edits on individual clips without the rest of the project moving around in response is just maddening. I understand it's probably some kind of backup measure for those who are prone to leaving blank spaces in their videos, but come on, there should really be an option to disable the behavior. When you're trying to make any kind of precise edits, it's beyond an annoyance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad things are looking good.

Not 100% sure that I follow the current issue:

There is one quirk in the result of effect however - a bit of the crawling image shows a bit on either side of the frame, no matter how far off the sides you draw the matte rectangles

I am wondering if perhaps adding a Crop Effect, just to the offending "sides" of the Still, will eliminate the offending bits of the Frame? However, I might just be missing what is happening.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting your progress. Happy editing.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines