• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why would 32-bit Flash Player be installed on a new 64-bit computer?

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've a 5-day old Windows 8.1 computer using Internet Explorer 11.

The Control Panel has an entry that reads, "Flash Player (32 Bit)".

When I click on it and go to "Advanced", the update options are all greyed-out - though next to the CHECK NOW box it says, "Plug in version - not installed"

By searching the hard drive, I've discovered that the Flash Player version is 12.0.0.38 - is this OK for a 64-bit machine?

Also, should I install the missing plug in? (and where would I find it!)

Can I "un-grey" the update options?

Any help or advise would be appreciated!

John Latter

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

What you see in the Control Panel is the Global Settings Manager... which IS a 32 bit app and... per Microsoft insistence, MUST be listed as a (32bit) app in the Control Panel in 64 bit systems.

The Flash Installer puts BOTH the 64 bit and 32 bit plugins on your system.

C/Windows/System32/Macromed

and

C/Windows/SysWOW64/Macromed

Those are the file locations for the plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you see in the Control Panel is the Global Settings Manager... which IS a 32 bit app and... per Microsoft insistence, MUST be listed as a (32bit) app in the Control Panel in 64 bit systems.

The Flash Installer puts BOTH the 64 bit and 32 bit plugins on your system.

C/Windows/System32/Macromed

and

C/Windows/SysWOW64/Macromed

Those are the file locations for the plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Mike. I've tracked down the sys-files and both look OK.

I still have the update problem, though, that I described in the first post (edited for readability):

The Control Panel has an entry that reads, "Flash Player (32 Bit)".

When I click on it and go to "Advanced", the update options are all greyed-out - though next to the CHECK NOW box it says, "Plug in version - not installed"

Should I install the missing plug in? (and where would I find it!)

How can I "un-grey" the update options?

John Latter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Those are the FULL offline istallers. (Nothing else to download)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike

When I tried to run the first one it encountered errors saying IE11 already contained the latest version of Flash Player built-in.

It then went on to say that Windows Update will inform me when new versions of the Flash Player are available - I guess this is why the options were greyed-out as described above!

I do appreciate your help on this, but could I ask one further question, please?

Before receiving your first reply, I tried to sort the problem out myself. I went to one of the sys folders and clicked on a Flash exe file there - then I bottled out and cancelled it when I was asked, "Are you sure you want to allow this program to change your computer settings?" (or something similar).

This resulted in a critical event that said Flash Player had stopped working and has affected my "reliability index".

I'm hoping Windows will catch up with itself and realize everything is OK - or have I done any lasting damage? (and if so, how do I rectify it!)

John Latter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or have I done any lasting damage? (and if so, how do I rectify it!)

Reapir IE: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again, Mike. I've reset IE 11 and made sure that the Flash Player add-on is installed. I take it that cancelling the Flash exe file I found in the sys folder has had no ill effects. If so, I should be good to go!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines