• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

In CC INDD, my command Z (undo) doesn't work. Any ideas?

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CC INDD, my command Z (undo) doesn't work. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the system prefs to see if some other application, or the system itself, is using the shortcut -- there are some problems with other shortcuts that trace back to this.

Does it work in other Adobe apps like photoshop or Illustrator?

Have you checked the language settings to be sure they're set correctly (for example, does the z key type a z in ID)?

Have you checked the shorcut set to be sure it actually contains that combination (Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2014 Jan 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue. I just downloaded CC from creative cloud last week and my undo is greyed out and the keyboard shortcut doesn't work. It is working in Illustrator and Photoshop and Muse (also just downloaded from creative cloud).

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Only noticed it after updating to Mavericks, and only in ID. Undo (both cmd+z and Edit>Undo) is spotty, sometimes allowing only a few steps back, sometimes none at all.

Tried dumping the caches (reccommended elsewhere) to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem....!

Undo (both cmd+z and Edit>Undo) doesn't wor, only in ID

I just downloaded CC from creative cloud last week and I updated to Mavericks...

help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problems here with InDesign CC 9.2 and Mavericks 10.9.1 on two different computers.

Make sure you didn't try to Migrate your InDesign to another computer. That always screws things up.

Make sure you didn't try to use Keyboard Shortcut set from an earlier version of InDesign. I think that can also cause problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Steve. I have already checked the Keyboard Shortcut and I didn't try to Migrate my InDesign to another computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  InDesign CC and Maverick.  Undo and Redo greyed out.  Sounds like a problem.  Any fixed Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are hearing this issue form other users as well and trying to reprodue it on our machines.

Please let us know if you are encountering this with any specific file or some particular step? Also check if you are able to save the file when this issue occus?

Could any one provide us with the preferences file ? You can find the preferences file here :

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version “version number”

Kindly share the same @sharewithID@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Dinkar

InDesign Engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I commented earlier on this thread - my IT department finally trashed everything and I started over (updated to the new OS and reloaded everything from Creative Cloud again ) and now I haven't had any problems - even with the same exact files......All of my coworkers - working on the exact same system - never had any problems from the get go...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. It only started this week. but I can't think of anything that has changed, updates or installs etc.

On multiple documents.  Most started with a INDT that was made in an earlier version of InDesign, I am currently runnng CC. But I open and use these files on a consistant basis and this has not been an issue before. 

I can do only 2 steps of undo. Of simple text box moving or text sizing of a short phrase. I am able to save my file.

Running OSX 10.9.2 .

Thanks for any suggestions.

becca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you save your file in the middle of a change by hitting cmd -s instead of cmd-z you wont be able to go back any further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a big advocate of NOT directly converting the .indd or .indt formats in newer versions.

Instead, export from the original version to .inx (if available) or .idml and open that for conversion in CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is happening to me in Mavericks and Dreamweaver CC. Usually saving and putting the file will delete all history so undo no longer works.

This was obviously never fixed?

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmd + o to open a document does not work in the latest Indesign and Illustrator..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@irenek4453393,

It certainly works for me on my Mac in InDesign CC 2018 and Illustrator CC 2018.

Tell us more about your InDesign version and exact operating system. In InDesign, have you checked out what you have for File > Open in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having exactly the same problem. I get two undos before history runs out. InDesign CC is the only program affected. I'm experiencing this on two separate Macs, both running Mavericks 10.9.3 and the latest version, but it's been ongoing since initial install (10.9).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been on Indesign CC for months now and today is the first time I have encountered this undo problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2014 Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing the same problem for quite a while, but its getting worse. I just updated to newest version of InDesignCC 9.2.1 today and now I have ZERO undos. This is a critical problem as my workflow is severely stunted by constantly rebuilding parts of my doc after one wrong move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that seams to work is resetting the preferences for InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lisa,

I have struggled with this as well. InDesign CC(2014) was not letting me undo more than 2 steps in history.

Here was my solution:

1. Quit/Force Quit InDesign CC(2014)

2. Reopen InDesign CC(2014) and Immediately* after clicking press Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac)

3. Hit Yes when the dialog box asks you if you, "Really Want to Replace Your Preferences"

*Immediately as in very very quickly or else it won't work at all, if the dialog doesn't pop up, you were too slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problems. And your solution works well! (so far...) Thnx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014 Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution totally worked! Money!

Paliosdesign.com wrote:

Hi Lisa,

I have struggled with this as well. InDesign CC(2014) was not letting me undo more than 2 steps in history.

Here was my solution:

1. Quit/Force Quit InDesign CC(2014)

2. Reopen InDesign CC(2014) and Immediately* after clicking press Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac)

3. Hit Yes when the dialog box asks you if you, "Really Want to Replace Your Preferences"

*Immediately as in very very quickly or else it won't work at all, if the dialog doesn't pop up, you were too slow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't work, any other suggestions? This is BAD... HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated ID to the latest patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines