• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Flash Player not silently updating to version 12?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am looking a 3 different computers. One is a Windows 7 32 bit, one is a Windows 7 64 bit and the other is a Mac with OSX 10.8. All have version 11.9.900.170 installed. I have the mms.cfg file configured correctly. I checked the task scheduler and it is showing that it is running the updater every hour successfully. Yet it is not updating to the latest version of Flash player.  Also, I know the 64 bit computer installs the 32 & 64 bit versions of Flash player. Is the mms.cfg file need to be in both locations: C:\windows\System32\Macromed\Flash & C:\windows\SysWoW64\Macromed\Flash?

Thanks

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

The problem is not with the update notification because the users dont have admin permissions to do the install anyway.  I was trying to figure out why the silent updater was not going to version 12. I did find a FAQ that states "Please note that major Flash Player releases will prompt the user with an update dialog, allowing them to read the key features new to the release.  The user can choose to update immediately or the automatic update will silently install the update 30 days after realease

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the opposite problem. I have ALL my Flash Player installs set to "Never check for updates" because I do all my updaters myself. The other day I opened Firefox's Add-ons manager to discover that Flash had been updated to 12 by itself. I checked IE 9 and 10 on two other machines and they were the same. In fact, the ONLY place Flash Player didn't update automatically was Chrome, and I had to reinstall the whole browser to get it to update.

You may want to just run the manual updaters:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would run the manual updater but I'm trying to get this to work for a whole school district of over 2000 computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2,000? You should be "pushing" the MSI remotely, then. Are you licensed for distribution? Adobe sends you the new updater links if you are. http://www.adobe.com/products/players/flash-player-distribution.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am licensed for distribution but we dont have the means to push out msi packages at the moment to PCs and Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Since you already license the Flash Player, you can host the background update resources within your organization.  This is documented in the Flash Player Administrator's Guide (chapter 3).

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark Snowdon wrote:

Hi, I am looking a 3 different computers. One is a Windows 7 32 bit, one is a Windows 7 64 bit and the other is a Mac with OSX 10.8. All have version 11.9.900.170 installed. I have the mms.cfg file configured correctly. I checked the task scheduler and it is showing that it is running the updater every hour successfully. Yet it is not updating to the latest version of Flash player.  Also, I know the 64 bit computer installs the 32 & 64 bit versions of Flash player. Is the mms.cfg file need to be in both locations: C:\windows\System32\Macromed\Flash & C:\windows\SysWoW64\Macromed\Flash?

Thanks

Mark

I would imagine the problem was because it had not been 7 days since version 12 was released. Flash Player 12 was released on 1/14/2014 and the release announcement states the following:

Current Flash Player desktop users that have enrolled in either the "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)" or "Notify me to install updates" update options will receive an update notification dialog within 7 days from today (please note that Windows users will need to restart their system to receive the notification dialog.)

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6013372

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not with the update notification because the users dont have admin permissions to do the install anyway.  I was trying to figure out why the silent updater was not going to version 12. I did find a FAQ that states "Please note that major Flash Player releases will prompt the user with an update dialog, allowing them to read the key features new to the release.  The user can choose to update immediately or the automatic update will silently install the update 30 days after realease."   So it appears to me that 30 days from the release date of 1/14/2014, they should auto update or I can push it out using one of the methods in the administrators guide.

Thanks

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark,

The FAQ you reference is the reason users haven't been silently updated to version 12 yet.  If you want to ensure the latest version of Flash Player is distributed within your organization upon its availability it is recommended to implement one of the options listed in the administrator's guide, as you mention, especially since the users don't have permission to install Flash Player on their own.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines