• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert fillable PDF form to Non-fillable PDF

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I just purchased the Adobe Acrobat Pro and installed, my question is how to convert a completed fillable PDF form to non-fillalbe non-changable PDF document?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way I think is to flatten it. You can do this in Acrobat using JavaScript (flattenPages), Preflight, or PDF Optimizer. You can also use this free JavaScript-based tool in Acrobat: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

doc.flattenPages documentation: http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/11/Acrobat11_HTMLHelp/JS_API_AcroJS.89.472.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2014 Nov 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

George Johnson - I was super excited to discover your post about the free JavaScript-based tool in Acrobat: http://www.uvsar.com/projects/acrobat/flattener/

It is exactly what I'm looking for. I downloaded it, and began following the directions. (I am using Mac OSX Mavericks.)

On Mac systems, locate "Adobe Acrobat Pro.app" in your Applications folder, show the package contents, and extract the .js file into:

Contents>MacOS>JavaScripts 

(First of all, the folder called JavaScripts did not exist for me so I created it. Don't know if that was correct or not.)

To check the correct folder location (for all operating systems and customized installs), open Acrobat and press CMD-J or Ctrl-J to open the interactive console, clear the contents, type

app.getPath("app","javascript")

select that text and press CMD-Enter or Ctrl-Enter. The path to use will be shown in the console.

(I did this, but nothing happened. I checked preferences to make sure javascript is enabled, and that the interactive console is enabled.)

I'm very baffled and not sure what to do. I've scoured the internet but can't find the answer. I'm hoping you or someone else might know.

Incidentally, all I want to do is flatten an interactive pdf so I can send it to someone and they won't be able to make any changes to it. (Maybe it's time to start looking for a 3rd party pdf printer...)

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat are you using and what type of Mac are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat X, and a Macbook Pro, OS X version 10.9.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, read the following carefully for more information on getting that line of code to execute in the JavaScript console: Developing Acrobat JavaScript on a MacBook - KHKonsulting LLC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. I don't know how you found that but it was super helpful. (I'm bookmarking it for future reference!) Thank you!

There is still one issue, and that is that doing this in conjunction with the directions above - where I am to type in this first - app.getPath("app","javascript") - yields no action. Which now must mean that my creating a previously non-existent JavaScript folder was the wrong thing to do. (?) Do you have any idea what I might have done differently in terms of where to put the JS file? I'm stumped.

I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably should remove it. I would also suggest using the user folder instead, which is given by:

app.getPath("user","javascript");

This should be an existing folder on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed it, and tried this, but nothing happened.

Just to be sure I'm doing it correctly, I deleted all other content, then pasted that code in. Then I highlighted it, pressed function/control, and hit the return button on the keyboard viewer (per the article you referenced). I then tried opening the drop down (see screenshot) and doing it again. Nothing.

However, there is obviously a user folder. I just can't figure out where it is. Am I still doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 5.37.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be something like:

/Macintosh HD/Users/georgejohnson/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/10.0/JavaScripts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!!! That was it! It works now!!! Wow, I can't even tell you how much I appreciate you hanging in there with me. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's good to know you got it working. We couldn't have you printing to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do this, I get the following error message:

"Security settings or digital signatures in this file prevent flattening"

I can't seem to disable security settings? Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to remove the digital signature or the security policy that's preventing the file from being edited to be able to flatten it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No doubt! Unfortunately, ability to edit these settings is 'greyed out' in the preferences menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Melissah,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please check the document properties of the PDF from File>Properties>Security Tab and see Changing the Document is allowed or not.

If the changes are not allowed, you won't be able to make any changes in the PDF document. Please contact the owner of the PDF and ask to remove the security policy or the digital signature so that you can make the changes in the PDF.

Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the option to "print to pdf" , it will "print" ( actually save) a new pdf and it should not be a form anymore, but a standard pdf.  Otherwise search for pdf printer online, Some are free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rich, this is exactly what I wanted to do, to print to pdf, and actually

save it to my disk, but the system only take it to the printer que, waiting

to be printed. how can I save a copy to my computer then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to have a virtual pdf printer installed on our system, there are some free ones online, such as Bullzip. After installing, choose Bullzip pdf printer when you go to print.  It will save a new pdf on your desktop when you click Print

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rich,

My computer is a Mac, it seems Bullzip is only for Windows. Any

recommendation for Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro is all you need, as per earlier reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having trouble using print to PDF a last minute workaround may be to export the PDF to JPEG ( a multiple page form will export to single page Jpegs though- but you can combine them and create  a new PDF using acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why bother with all of these round-about solutions? Just flatten the file, as George suggested. It's the easiest, fastest and best way of doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the scenario.

We have a PDF form for a court Docketing Statement. The form is fillable to assist the user, but the form itself does not comply with the requirements for efiling.

Efiling requires a PDF (this should make Adobe happy!), but not an editable PDF. Hence the need to flatten. The JavaScript flattener is great if I'm technically apt, but for my thousands of customer who must create a flattened PDF, this is an unnecessary burden.

The simplest solution I've seen is CutePDF for PC and pdfwriterformac for the Mac.

I hate having to direct our user base to a third party application to accomplish such a basic task, but I don't see any way around it. I even tried the Adobe Reader Create PDF subscription for $22/year, but it can't take PDF as input and produce a flattened file. Why is this so hard?

If anyone from Adobe reads this, please let me know if I'm missing something, or pass it on to someone who has authority to get a fix implemented.

Thank you Kindly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines