• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why did Flash Player install McAfee on my computer without my permission?

New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did Flash Player install McAfee on my computer without my permission?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's ONE updater that would do that. They were supposed to remove it, but apparently they haven't.

If this was a fresh download, the option to NOT download and install was on the page with the download.

Download the Adobe Flash Player installer directly by clicking one of the following links.

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Bookmark those links, because when the version changes, they update, so you'll be able to get the latest WITHOUT anything bundled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a very long post with lots of anguished customers complaining about this issue and essentially being ignored by Adobe. That thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1056732?start=80&tstart=0 is now locked. The short answer is that cursory research shows that use of Flash is in decline. Bundling crapware is a standard way of milking the last years of a product in decline. MacAffee meanwhile have been bought by Intel who presumably want to get their money back, whilst the founder of MacAffee is wanted by police for questioning in relation to the death of his neighbour which is having an effect on public perceptions of the ethics of the company.

In other words standard corporate shenanigans behind the scenes have led to this bundling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I joined specifically to come in here and say I tried downloading Adobe today and it instantaneously started downloading McAfee WITHOUT MY PERMISSION or any notice that it would be doing so. I halted both downloads immediately. But this is B.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FiveKnives wrote:

I tried downloading Adobe today and it instantaneously started downloading McAfee WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

If you downloaded Flash Player from the standard location http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ then you WILL have the option to decline the bundled install:

mcafee.PNG

If you download the installer from Mike's link above (which is posted several dozen times in this forum every day), then you will not get any bundled software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines