• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of Typekit

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I open an old indesign file. I am getting a window for typekit. I use suitcase and all the fonts are located there. Not installed on my computer. (I have 9800 fonts so you get the idea).

It will not find my suitcase fonts even if they are open - I need it off ASAP any help will be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 171 Replies 171
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have Typekit unless you download Typekit fonts.

You'll have to ignore the references to Typekit at the top of the Font menus in InDesign CC 9.2 because they can't be turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, you didn't read the message - I think he means the typekit popup that appears to look for missing fonts. I too have suitcase installed and it finds the missing fonts.

The typekit popup is not needed and no way to turn it off it seems. Is there a setting somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said before, you don't have Typekit fonts. You do have the Typekit filter and a message about how to download Typekit fonts. There is no way to turn that off so you must live with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! I have discovered that the latest version of indesign CC will automatically give you the typekit. I recommend not downloading that version. Hopefully all will be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh, don't you read?

You don't get Typekit fonts until you download them. InDesign CC gives you the option of downloading Typekit fonts if you want, but you don't have to!

That would be like saying, I don't want to download the latest version of Photoshop CC because it gives you the ability to link smart objects. I don't like that feature so I won't upgrade the application. It's called cutting of your nose to spite your face. You're never required to use a feature you don't need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I read.

You now get Typekit fonts it is part of the latest version of Indesign CC. I was just commenting until they get it worked out to not download this version. But I am working with the Indesign team and we are getting it resolved. Thank you for being so helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize if I was short with you! It just didn't seem that you realized that it's just another feature which you can use or not use. Be well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

Not wanting to add fuel to any fire here, however we're having this issue (or very similar) and it is creating for some very painful workflow problems in our studio. I deal with most of the workflow in the studio, and am finding this increadibly frustrating!!!

If it was a feature that we could 'use or not use' at will, that'd be great, but at this stage we do not seem to be able to 'not use' it at all.

(Aplogies up front for this post being reasonably long, but I'm feeling like I should give as much info as possible).

OVERVIEW

We have a studio of 10 machines (+ server). We use FontExplorer X Server to manage our fonts across the studio, and Font Explorer X Pro on all client machines (all Apple machines). The product works smoothly, efficiently and effectively, allowing for comprehensive font managment for our projects (across, print, film, and web). We have invested significantly in font licenses/libraries and are therefore staying with this process for the forseeable future.

We have an Adobe teams account, and manage our CC users from there, and also use the CC packager to keep all applications in sync from our server. We're a reasonable tech competent creative agency, so are cautious with our 'updates' of all products etc.

PROBLEM

With the recent updates to CC apps (inc the CC desktop app itself) we're now having Adobe typekit intruding on our auto activation of fonts when requests come in from InDesign and/or InCopy (this is also beginning to occur with other Adobe apps also, but we've not been monitoring that as much yet).

The first issue here is, we have our default font manager set as FontExplorer, so we're unsure why Typekit even gets involved in this at all. The second issue for us it that we then get Typekit (or Creative Cloud Dektop App on behalf od Typekit - not sure of the correct term here) popping up on our screen asking us what we want to do with activating the fonts. We have all of the items "off" inside our CC desktop App preferences, but this does not seem to turn Typekit OFF! The third (possibly not final) issue here is that this now causes a conflict with FontExplorer X Pro on out client machines, where it does not seem to recieve the request to activate before Typekit kicks in, so our fonts do not seem to autoactive smoothly anymore. We had assumed that the plugin's installed in FontExplorer dealt with this communication process?

Now - we love the idea of Typekit. We're keen to use it. But not instead of our other applications, which are already in place. We'd like to have control over our workflow, or at least be able to cutomise it to ensure our business can stay profitable, and that our workflow does not get messed up.

Our issue is further compounded by the fact that we elected to update all of the Adobe Applications on each machine based on issues with InCopy and InDesign that adobe have repaired in the Updates... so, it'll be difficult for us to go back without that process suffering!! 😞

QUESTIONS

1 - Where does Typekit reviece it's "instructions" from?

2 - Where can we turn this OFF?

3 - If this is not possible, how do we remove TypeKit altogether from within out CC Desktop App (or our desktop machines) so that we do not get this issue?

4 - I've also sent this info on to FontExplorer also... but have not heard back yet.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.

(I've been a bit of a loiterer in the Adobe forums, and have not posted before, so feel free to direct me to a different area if I'm in the wrong place. Thanks)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'll just add that this one man studio is also frustrated by something I was initially very excited about.

Until recently I had my Adobe apps working fairly well with Font Explorer X's plugins (not perfectly, but satisfactorily - if anyone knows of an excellent resource for learning how to really control fonts with FEX and OSX please let me know).

The operation I would like when opening an existing file is:

1. Are all required fonts already activated?
  2. If no then try to obtain fonts from FEX
  3. If not available from FEX then try Typekit

Now it may be that for some users (and for Adobe's commercial considerations) 2 & 3 could be swapped. But clearly that won't suit to everybody. So ideally there would be way for the user to determine in which order the various font plugins were fired.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

What InDesign does when you open a document is list the fonts that are Not present\activated by any application to the softwares in the missing fonts dialog. InDesign did this in prior release also.

The only new addition here is the that as soon as InDesign does this InDesign sends a search query to typekit for searching for these missing fonts on it. This is the only step that happens automatically and currently there is no way to turn this off. Please note that this step does NOT take any action on its own but simply tells you that ID was able to find \ Not Find the missing fonts on Typekit.

Once matches are found\Not found it is now upto the user to chose to either Sync\or Not sync fonts from Typekit. The previous functionality of either activating the fonts from other third party softwares should still work (i ahve tried this with Suitcase fusion & Font Book and it works). If you press sync fonts then InDesign will ask Creative cloud app to download these fonts and activate them, these fonts will now be activated irrespective of them being deactivated via Suitcase fusion, Font Explorer etc.

Thanks & Reagrds

Javed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Javed - that's all helpful. One point in your message to clarify:

The only new addition here is the that as soon as InDesign does this InDesign sends a search query to typekit for searching for these missing fonts on it. This is the only step that happens automatically and currently there is no way to turn this off. Please note that this step does NOT take any action on its own but simply tells you that ID was able to find \ Not Find the missing fonts on Typekit.

Will Adobe be allowing us to turn this off?The whole point is that we do not care if ID can/cannot find fonts with Typekit, we only care if FEX cannot find the fonts on our font server. Although TK may not take any action, and may not seem very distracting, the shear fact that it arrives on the screens of our users is becoming rather annoying, and is adding confusion and potential issues with our workflow.

Thanks.

S

- Edit > Perhaps is the fact that it is such a heavily branded Typkit presence that is adding to the confusion... ?

Message was edited by: ShamusH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the case as of Now. I would suggest that you log a feature request for the same here and also mention the issues you are facing due to it.

Having a strong reason helps us prioritise the issues that you all are facing.

Thanks

Javed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea whether the following behaviour was caused by FEX or Adobe, but I don't recall ever witnessing this behaviour until now (after the Typekit plugin functionality has been added):

1. I had a document open in InDesign. When it was being opened the FEX ID plugin correctly installed the necessary fonts, and I did ten minutes work on the file.
  2. I then opened a PSD file, which necessitated opening PS. For completeness this was the first time I had opened PS after upgrading to OS 10.9.2.
  3. The Typekit dialogue told me it couldn't find a necessary font.
  4. FEX uninstalled a font currently is use in the open INDD file.

Again, obviously this may be an FEX problem, but there's no denying that the unwanted appearance of the Typekit modal window makes it feel like Adobe has broken something that worked smoothly until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick update.

The folks at Adobe are still looking in to this. I have had confirmation that they can see a bug in InDesign which cause installed fonts to be temporarily unavailable on your system.

To quote their email to us:

"The InDesign team is still investigating the factors which trigger this bug, but the basic issue is this: the Missing Fonts dialog causes fonts which are managed through Extensis Suitcase and Font XPlorer to not auto-activate correctly. Those fonts aren't located properly on your system, and so InDesign reports that they are unavailable.

In Font Explorer, if your managed fonts are not visible in InDesign after upgrading to InDesign 9.2,

Go to Font Explorer/Tools and select

1. Clean System Font Caches (this will require a system reboot)

2. Clean Application Font Caches

On non-Mavericks systems, you will need to de-activate/reactivate font protection

Launch a terminal window and enter

sudo atsutil fontprotection -off

Then enter

sudo atsutil fontprotection -on

Relaunch InDesign. Your managed font should now be visible and auto-activation should work."

We'v ebeen busy, so I've not spent much time getting stuck in to this, but will look at their thoughts/suggestions next week. I've not heard back from the FEX team  -  which is slightly annoying.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah! I knew I wasn't crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 30, 2014 Mar 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, stop telling me what you want installed and let me activate what I want installed! I don't want to use Typekit, or be forced to use Typekit. I have Extensis Suitcase installed and much prefer it's auto activation etc. Since the most recent update I now have Indesign forcing me to do something I don't want to and as a result can't even select to change one typeface, instead it forces me to change all the typefaces. Eg I might have different wieghts of Helvetica Nue within a document and I want to change one to Hel Nue Light, instead Tyepkit is forcong me to do a global change.

Adobe seem to go from one stuff up to the next. Fix it! Prior to CC everything worked, now it's a a complete stuff up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with BrandHOUSE here. We use Adobe CC 2015, and TypeKit is getting on my nerves.

Recently it turned out that one of my fonts was corrupted. Normally that is hardly a problem for InDesign, it just opens your file and does not use that font. It highlights the text that uses that specific font in pink. But now TypeKit showed up, and immediately InDesign crashed. Especially nasty, because that happened when I opened the page where that font is used. So when I restarted InDesign and used the autorecovery option, it opens again on that page and so it immediately crashes again. The only work-around I could use, was to open InDesign without autorecovery, replace the corrupted font for a good one, and get a new font. And by doing that, all the work I've been doing up to the crash was lost.

I can't proof it of course, but I've got the strong feeling that because TypeKit is automatically launched if a font problem occurs, it was the trigger for crashing InDesign. As I said before, normally InDesign would still be functioning if a font gets corrupted.

So please, make TypeKit an option which can be switched off or on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth I ran into this trouble using Universal Type Client with multiple workgroups. At some point either the end-user, or an update switched the plug in from using "All Workgroups" to a specific workgroup that did not have the needed font, which then offered the TypeKit interface. This setting can be changed in the Type menu- Universal Type Client- Select Workgroups- All Workgroups. Suitcase uses font libraries- which would be changed in Type menu- Suitcase Fusion 5- Select Library- All Libraries. I originally thought TypeKit was intercepting requests, bu t once All Workgroups was selected auto-activation was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Type Menu? There is no Typekit App on my machine. I'm running FontExplorer Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my fix was for UTC (and likely Suitcase). I'm not sure if FontExplorer has a similar workgroup/library option. In my case TypeKit was not overriding our font software as we originally thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2015 Mar 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to back to my old CS, instead of fighting with TK on my illustrator CC.

I downloaded/installed illustrator only (NEVER installed/activate TK) and having TK related trouble.

As soon as I opened my file on CC, my suitcase is blocked. I can't automatically open my fonts on my files--fonts used open automatically without problem with my suitcase but now I have to open my fonts manually---one by one.

It is just very annoying especially I'm in front of deadline.

I don't want TK. Please remove TK from Illustrator, or at least make On-Off selection work. Please.

I tried all possible solution on this forum but couldn't kill TK from my Illustrator.

I'll back to CS until Adobe solve this problem. This is such a waste of my time and money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do realize this is an InDesign forum, right? If you have an issue with TypeKit and Illustrator, check the Illustrator forum.

I'm using ID with Suitcase Fusion 6 and I'm not having any issues related to this. SF6 and Typekit seem to play nice together at least with the files I'm working on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2014 Nov 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. How to Turn off Typekit
    • In the Creative Cloud desktop app, choose Settings ( ) > Preferences.
    • Click Fonts tab.
    • To enable or disable font sync, select either On or Off from the Typekit On/Off settings.
  2. If the typekit Window pop up to try and resolve any font problems - click the "don't show this window on startup" on the typekit pop up window
  3. Restart Photoshop CC 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines