• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MAC Flash Install

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to install Flash 12.0.0.44 on Safari. MAC OS X 10.8.5. Uninstalled Flash 11.9.900.170. Restarted MAC. Flash download stops at 51% with error. HELP

INstalled Flash 11.7. restarted computer. tried to install Flash 12.0, still stops at 51% install. No error codes noted; only Error detected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're seeing (specifically) a "General Installation Error", right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mike. It just says, "Error: unable to proceed with installation."

It works fine on Chrome (bit slow) not Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome has its own Flash Player plugin. It doesn't use the same as Safari or Firefox do.

If I undertand correctly, you're NOT seeing this:

Schnappschuss+(2013-10-21+16.07.36).jpg

Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. I'm seeing, "Error: unable to proceed with installation." And it always stops at 51% completion.

It seems that quite a few people are having trouble with this install on Safari (where all my Bookmarks are located btw).

I would be OK with Chrome (not enthusiastic) if I could transfer bookmarks with ease and establish a toolbar.

Thanks,

Myrna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as it's not the "General Installation Error" 'cause that one's bad news.

Use the Offline installer here: Flash Player 12.0.0.44 (Mac OS X) and do a Clean Install per my instructons here: How to perform a "clean install" of Flash Player in Mac OS X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have a 1 yr old imac running 10.8.5.

Tried many times to install Flash 12 but get the General Installation Error. Tried uninstalling which worked but now nothing works (obviously) even though Firefox had been still working.

Can you helo and why is this error such a problem?

Many thanks

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christine,

Your troubles aren't coming from Flash Player.

You're missing a file that was made visible by the 10.8.5 update. Hundreds of thousands of Mac users all over the world deleted it, not knowing what it was. It causes this when it's missing.

Download this file by right clicking and choosing "Download Linked File As": "Secrets" pereference pane

You'll need this to reveal Hidden Files and make sure the fix works.

1.jpg

And this one: mach_kernel.zip

This is the little bugger that's causing your troubles.

8.jpg

Install Secrets, and open your System Preferences.

2.jpg

Open the Secrets Preference Pane, and check "Show hidden files"

3.jpg

You'll need to press the "Quit This" button,

4.jpg

and restart Finder, by right clicking the Dock icon.

5.jpg

Then, place the mach_kernel.zip file in the Mac HD directory,

6.jpg

and unzip it. You should see a "faded" mach_kernel file appear.

7.jpg

Trash the zip file.

Reopen your System Preferences and uncheck "Show Hidden files".

Instead of quitting Finder and relaunching it, reboot your Mac.

Your Flash Player installer won't quit anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow many thanks I'll try that in a mo. Just on a side issue would updating to Mavericks help or hinder this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

I saw you posted this help on many threads, however, in my case, my original mach_kernel does always exist and I never removed it.

My Mac is running OSX 10.9.1 with latest version of Safari.

I did try extracting your mach_kernel.zip in my Mac HDD root anyway, but the computer prompted me that the file cannot be overwritten, as expected.

So, in my case, where I never removed the mach_kernel file in my HDD root, do you have any idea why I am still getting this "General Installation Error"??

I tried uninstalling Flash Player 11 while repeatedly failed to update to Flash Player 12, so I don't have a working Flash Player for my Safari now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you done a clean install?

How to perform a "clean install" of Flash Player in Mac OS X

Or tried using the COCOA installer in the Package Contents of the GUI installer (Flash Player 12.0.0.44 FULL Installer)?

14.jpg

Contents/Recources>Adobe Flash Player.pkg

15.jpg

The COCOA installer looks like this

16.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2014 Feb 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mike M: Sorry I haven't had the time laately to focus on my Flash problem. But, today I printed your "How to perform a clean install of Flash in Mac OS X, went through it step by step, and I finally have Flash in Safari! Thanks so much for your help. Myrna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines