• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style Sheet Not Compatible with Mozilla

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2007 Apr 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a style sheet called Help.css for use with our WebHelp Help projects. The styles display as intended in IE and Netscape, but some styles display inconsistently in Mozilla (Firefox). Is there a way to get those style display anomolies corrected by modifying the RoboHelp-generated style sheet, Help_ns.css? If so, how? Do I have any workaround options within my style sheet? BTW, I called our Silver support and they confirmed the display differences in my Help project, and also confirmed that there were no errors in my style sheet.
I sure wish that Adobe would create a style sheet for Mozilla--there are many users out there who use the browser, and it would make our deliverables much more polished. Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2007 Apr 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of issues are you seeing?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2007 Apr 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter. There are a number of things: Indented bulleted lists are inconsistent, block-type (I say this because it appears to be a block text, but there is no frame around the content) is not indented. I can upload screen captures to illustrate the differences between Mozilla (bad format) and IE and Netscape (good display). I strongly feel that Help_ns.css is not playing with some setting or background rendering that Mozila employs. Any tips, help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think some details about Mozilla are needed: I am using version 5.0/Windows (2.0.0.3). When I examine the Error Console, I see a shopping list of Unknown Property x-next-class (or x-next-type). Declaration dropped. entries. I have copied and pasted some of the entries using the Attached Code of this Email. All errors point to Help_ns.css and whskin_tbars.htm. Here are some of the entries:

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'cursor'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: file:///C:/Device%20Manager%20Help/WebHelp/whskin_tbars.htm
Line: 129

Warning: Unknown property 'x-next-class'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: file:///C:/Device%20Manager%20Help/WebHelp/Help_ns.css
Line: 27

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The x- properties don't do any harm. I think they are unneccesary carryovers from the project stylesheet, placed there by and for the RH WYSIWG editor.

We've seen many comments in the forum about bullet formats across browsers and in printed documentation.

RH sometimes confuses the TrueCode when you apply bullets, perhaps insert lines, reapply bullets, delete bullets and reapply them. Un-bulleting and re-bulleting in RH doesn't correct this.

They look OK in RH and in IE, because IE is more forgiving when interpreting nonstandard code.

Look in the TrueCode and notice differences between the bad lines and those appearing the way you intended them to look . Make the coding consistent, and see whether that corrects the display.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Harvey. I have actually done that--it is very time consuming to compare code in good topics (ones that display perfectly) and the topics that don't cooperate in Mozilla. And, I have not had much success in identifying the potential problem code.

I've sumbitted a question on the Mozilla discussion forum--perhpas there is some setting or plug-in (doubt it) that may do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 26, 2007 Apr 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may depend on whether you are using a bullet style, applying bullets from the Format dialog, or clicking the bullet icon in the RH toolbar. The truecode sometimes is not precisely the same.

At any rate, if you compare the contents of the css files, you will see that RH applies different values for bullet styles in Help_ns.css. You might try adjusting those.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LuckyClover,
I also have this sort of problem with the Help_ns.css.
My pop ups are displayed underlined in blue, Mozilla's Error Console displays:
Warning: Unknown property 'x-text-underline'. Declaration dropped.

The fun part is that some topics display well without the blue line. When I compared the code the good ones had this:
<a href="javascript:void(0);" id="a5" style="x-text-underline: off;
Does anyone know a workaround?
Will I have to fix the code in all topics myself?
Does RH apply different values for popups too?
Help please.
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2007 May 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CSS validator found the following errors in the RoboHelps Help_ns.css.:

242 SPAN.GloPopup Property x-text-underline doesn't exist : Off
248 SPAN.OptPopup Property x-text-underline doesn't exist : Off
252 SPAN.Bookmark Property x-text-underline doesn't exist : Normal

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate-by-input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2007 May 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OLH DEVELOPER, that is a neat tool (CSS validator). The only workaround that I can come up with (which we will not do for many valid reasons) is to create tables to contain our icons (notes, cautions, warnings) and text so that it displays regardless of the browser type. It works with the drawback that there is a lot of space between numbered steps and the tabled data, which I cannot control. I also experimented with modifying the source code to add blockquotes around certain text <blockquote> /<blockquote>, but that was a flop. I have 71 hits on the post that I added to the Mozilla Firefox Bug issues forum with no answers. I think this is a dead end. So, Adobe, if you can PLEASE develop style sheets that are compatible with Mozilla, I am sure many faithful users will be grateful (yes, I've requested this as a future enhancement request).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2007 May 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the topic on my site about Browsers, I refer to some issues with bullets and numbering. That apart, I have always found that RH does a pretty good job when it creates the _NS style sheet that is used in Firefox. At the beginning of this thread you said Mozilla (Firefox), later you refer to Mozilla and then Version 5.00 which must be Mozilla, not Firefox. Which browswer are we dealing with here?

Have you tried applying one of the supplied style sheets without any modifications and seeing if the conversion fails on that too?

Happy to look at one of your topics but for IE and Firefox, not Mozilla.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2007 May 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope Flare has better css.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp