• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-Save location for Photoshop CC?

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is possible or not, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I had a layered PSD file that I temporarily merged to move onto a different PSD file I was working on. By mistake I accidently closed and saved the original PSD file merged; therefore, losing all of my layers in the process. I am wondering if there is a way to recover a past "saved" version of this document or not?

I have already tried a couple of different methods which have brought no results, such as looking in the Autorecover folder under C:/Users/USERNAME/Appdata/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC/AutoRecover. I have also tried searching for .tmp files with no luck.

I understand that I may be at a loss here, but I'm just wondering if finding the past version of this file is possible or not.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: XPS 8300

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 Ghz

Memory: 16 GB RAM

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

I don't think there's a way to recover lost Photoshop data, save for restoring from a backup or something like Time Machine snapshots or Windows 8's File History.  When you save/close your document Photoshop clears the auto-saved data out.

Don't feel bad, I've made the same mistake before. 

One thing I find invaluable is a nightly system image backup.  That, plus the generation of Restore Points can facilitate the use of Windows 7's "Previous Versions" feature.  Depending on where you saved the (

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's a way to recover lost Photoshop data, save for restoring from a backup or something like Time Machine snapshots or Windows 8's File History.  When you save/close your document Photoshop clears the auto-saved data out.

Don't feel bad, I've made the same mistake before. 

One thing I find invaluable is a nightly system image backup.  That, plus the generation of Restore Points can facilitate the use of Windows 7's "Previous Versions" feature.  Depending on where you saved the (overwritten) PSD file, there might be some hope...

• Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where you saved the overwritten .PSD file.
  • Right-click it and choose Properties.
  • Click the Previous Versions tab along the top.

Are any previous versions listed (it may take a few moments to show them)?  If so, you can recover them, which will replace the file with the one recovered.  Make sure you have saved a copy of the current version first, assume you need it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Thanks for your feedback. There was a tiny bit of hope in the "Previous Versions" feature you mentioned. Sadly, there are no previous versions of that file. I'll also take your backup advice into practice.

Luckily, it won't be too hard to recreate the file I had originally created, I'll just be more careful the next time around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I have personally taken away from this forum, is to periodically save a big project with new names.  In fact I have very nearly messed up more than once by overwriting a good version of a saved document with a bad one. 

Same thing applies to backups.  Shadow Protect makes 15 minute incremental backups, but I don't have a routine system of rotating backups, so could find myself with a bad version in the back up as well.  So I try to bypass this by manually backing up my currebt projects folder to a different location at least once a day. 

I seem to have lost more than my share of disk drives in the last few years, and some of it my own fault.  But the bottom line is I haven't lost a jot of data despite that, and was even able to carry on with minimume inconvenience when my main system was out of commission for more than two weeks recently, by simply attaching my USB3 external backup drives to my laptop.

Shadow Protect cost me $100, and USB3 externals are both fast and relatively cheap nowadays.  I don't even want to think about the consequence of loosing data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Autorecover only works it you have a crash.

If you close the file all the temp work files are also deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2014 Aug 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't closed the file where would you find the temp files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

¿any way to recover the cache of the file if I opened it and did "dont save"?
I guess was parkison or lack of atention what made do this but I got the solutión to fix this

error and dont ever happen to you, like a cure to those mistakes...
Never bring on your mind while working someone who told you to stay away, that happen.

have a great day, and if someone know a executive investor to develop construction, film or advertising project let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very easy way to detect low quality software - does it have autosave + autobackup? No? trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines