• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you help me install Flash Player on XP, PRO SP3?

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have WIN XP PRO SP 3 on a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop, using IE8.  I have been trying for several days to get Flash player to install with no success.  Note; I also have Firefox installed and Flash player is up and running with no errors.

My general question:  Is there Flash Player help site that I can contact that can remote log on to my computer and diagnose what is causing Flash player not to install ( either a free community site or for a reasonable fee) ?

Here is what I have done.  I am open for anyone to offer suggestions I have not tried.

Read the discussion " A required file could not be written due to insufficient permissions" and I also am unable to install Flash Player ActiveX; although I do not have the specific "permissions" issue mentioned ( although, as a check I did install and run the SubInACL .exe command line tool).

When I run the http:// helpx.adobe.com/fash-player.html check, I receive the "flash payer is either not installed or enabled" error.

Question:  Is there any way to know the specific error that the " http:// helpx.adobe.com/fash-player.html"  program finds when it reports the "flash payer is either not installed or enabled" error?  That might give a clue where to look.

Removed and reinstalled IE8

Note, on the first or second trouble shooting I did get Flash Player to run. I turned off laptop, but the next day after boot up, Flash Player showed the same "flash payer is either not installed or enabled" error.  Have not been able to fix.

IE8, manage add-ons and show all add-ons shows Flash Player version 12 as installed and enabled.  A check of the IE security settings for all zones shows scripting and Active X is enabled.

Control panel, add remove programs shows Flash Player ver. 12 as installed.

I have run the Adobe uninstaller and Revo Uninstall a couple of times. Cleared the macromed directory in System32 Windows folder.

Reinstalled Flash player.  Same error when I run "http:// helpx.adobe.com/fash-player.html”.

I have run the SFC  /scannow. SCF did access the original XP PRO SP3 CD several times, but completed with no complaints after about 10 minutes (getting SFC to successfully read the CD was another adventure).

As you can see, I am stumped as what to do next.  Would appreciate any advice or tips on what troubleshooting I have missed, or what to do next.

Thanks for your time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand correctly: Flash Player works on Firefox, but not IE?

Can you post the contents of the FlashInstall.log file in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash?

See also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install and running flash player is not an issue. I have a problem

wit the adware that installs with it. I don't feel comfortable

allowing information to be stored or retrieved on or from my PC

running IE8 on XP. Can this adware popup box be removed and how. I

hate to start using Crome because I don't like it.

Can you answer this specific question for me.

Thanks,

Milton Vallaire

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Those have NO bundled software, and NO Adobe download has "adware".

Never has, never will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meral,

Depends on which installer you are using.  On one installer there is a screen asking for permission to install Norton scan or some other Norton product. 

You need to CLEAR/UN-CHECK the box before the statement  "install Norton ....".   The default is to install Norton scan  UNLESS you CLEAR/UN-CHECK the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply to Pat Wiellener,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, Flash Player works in Firefox.  While in Firefox I go to:

www.adobe.com/software/flash/about   I get the bouncing ball and "You have version 12,0.0.44 installed"

www.helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html   I get, under system informatiom, Flash version 12.0.0.44; Browser -Firefox, Operating System --Windows (XP)

Open IE8 and go to the same two websites and receive the error that Flash is "either not installed or enabled"

Here is the Flsahinstall.log file you requested.  My first time to attach a file, hope I did it right.

https://files.acrobat.com/preview/6ce45bd7-ef45-4db7-b0a2-acf0fb5a2621

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply to Pat Wiellner

Hi Pat,

On Feb 7, I posted my install log as a reply to your question.  With over 32,000 posts I know you are a busy person, but if you have a chance to review my install log to see if it gives you some clue as to what my install problem is I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I do not login to this forum every day, and I have therefore missed your post with the install log file.

It seems there was a problem with the deletion of some files during the install; please try a clean install according to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

To reinstall use the links from Mike's earlier post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply to Pat Wiellner,

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your instructions and used the http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315 to do a clean install. I received no error messages during the uninstall process. I then did a new install  and even receive the message the install was successful, just before the last screen asking if I wanted to try a different Adobe product.

Trouble is when I go to www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome, I do not see the animation playing, just a small red X in the upper left hand corner of the box.  I also get a pop up asking me if I want to install flashplayer. Very frustrating, since I was very careful to folly each step of the 928315 instructions.  Should I try to install a previous version?

Here is the install log of the most recent install:  https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=PJn*g5OAS31W4kP4jUgSCA

If you have the time I would appreciate your review of the log to see if it has the same errors as you noticed in the previous install log.

A second piece of information:  I was using IE9 and having problems with an program and was told the program was not compatible with IE9, so I used the Microsoft "rollback " feature to go back to IE8 (which allowed the program to work).  But, as part of my ttrouble shooting before this posting, I did a uninstall of IE8 and new install of IE8.

I will be glad to follow any trouble shooting suggestions.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reply to Pat Wiellner

Hi Pat,

On the 21st I posted my results from following your instructions. Unfortunately, I was unable to install Flash Player.  I posted (on Feb 21) my install log.  If you have the time, I would appreciate your review of the install log to see if it contains any clue why the install keeps failing.

Thanks for your time, I know you are busy; I do appreciate the help.

I will be glad to follow any trouble shooting suggestions.]

THANKS !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2014 Feb 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

krazykat10 wrote:

Trouble is when I go to www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome, I do not see the animation playing, just a small red X in the upper left hand corner of the box.

That is actually Shockwave Player, not Flash Player.  You need to install it from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/#sp

To test the installation of Flash Player go to http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines