• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player needs updating on Google TV.

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2014 Feb 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting error messages on my Google TV, that is less than 2 years old, that Adobe Flash Player needs an update or a newer version.

Sony says it's Google's problem, but the support pages say that the updates will come when needed.

Current installed version is 10.1 (I think).

Some webpage and youtube videos will play fine but some others wont. I'd like to watch the Olympic stream but the video wont load (no error message here though).

Any help out there?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SONYâ„¢'s right... it IS Google's problem.

And the problem is worse... GoogleTV uses Google's "Android" OS, which... since June 2012... is no longer conpatible with Flash Player. Adobe did develop and release security updates for Flash Player 11.1.115.81, which was the last release for Android, but that ended September 10, 2013.

You'll need to update via Google's updater for the TV, to even get to that version. GoogleTV uses a variant of their Chrome browser, but being Andriod, you may also be able to run "Dolphin" or "Puffin" which you can find in the GooglePlay Store. There are free versions, but I was informed laast week, that Google is now charging for "FULL" versions that play Flash content.

The reason some sites, and YouTube will play is that Google (who own and run YouTube) have converted ALL video on YouTube to HTML5 (MP4) which requires no plug-in for playback.

My "$0.02"... considering all the Smart TVs sold with Android that are having this same problem worldwide, I figure it's only a matter of time before a class action pops up and slams Google (and other manufacturers) something fierce for selling these after they dropped support for streaming video in most places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Mike,

This stuff is a little over my head, but I went to GooglePlay and a search for Dolphin returned a few Apps one of which called SoShell browser and another called FlashU among a few others. (search for Puffin = nothing)

The FlashU seemed to describe that it may be of some help, but not being sure I sent the creator an email question about the issue, and will wait and see what comes back.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines