Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link from HTML to Page in .pdf

New Here ,
May 11, 2007 May 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have a .pdf file that contains several chapters. I need to have a table of contents in an html help project that opens the .pdf and jumps directly to the appropriate chapter. I can get the .pdf to open, but I don't know how to reference the chapter bookmarks in the link. (I'm not even sure if bookmarks are the proper navigation tool for this.)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Kathy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully someone else will jump in here because I'm no expert on PDF files. How are you opening the pdf? I ask because if you are using a shortcut control, you can add the necessary parameters for the adobe reader to select the page, but I don't know what these parameters are off the top of my head. There are other ways to open a pdf other than the shortcut control but some of these may limit your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm using the Shortcut control, but I'm not married to it. I'm willing to use whatever works. I saw where you can enter the parameters, but I have no clue how to reference a .pdf bookmark (or even if that's the right link type or if I need to do something different in Adobe). Hopefully someone out there knows.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2007 May 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked into this. From what I read, I don't think this is supposed to work from compiled help. It can work from WebHelp. What you are looking for is a "named destination" in Acrobat, not a "bookmark." Apparently these are two separate things, but the named destination is accessed like an HTML bookmark, e.g. <A HREF="filename.pdf#destination>. You can also use a page number, e.g. <A HREF="filename.pdf#page=4">

Hope this helps.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2007 May 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks John,
I really appreciate you taking the time to look into this. Unfortunately, we're not using WebHelp, so I'm not sure if this will work. (Bummer) I'll give it a try anyway. Who knows, I may get lucky.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp