• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is correct registry key for Word 2013 and RoboHelp 11?

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that I am unable to generate Printed Documentation (i.e., RoboHelp will state, "Cannot find Microsoft Word on your system"). I can see this issue has occured in past, and I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting (i.e., looking at macro settings, virus checker, etc.) before hitting Adobe tech support.

For starters, here is my setup:

• Windows 8.1
  • Word 2013 32-bit (perpetual license, installed local hard drive)
  • RoboHelp 11

I've installed word before robohelp, and I've tried re-install everything using 64-bit version of word. Though when that didn't work, I reverted to using 32-bit version of word. Adobe tech support directed me to following page about registry settings. However, it is quite out-of-date, so I'm asking if anyone has more current information?

http://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/robohelp-cannot-find-word.html

Using that page as a guide, I tried deducing what string robohelp is looking for, though this doesn't work, and I *really* need some specific technical information rather than being asked to guess. There's the matter of knowing what key robohelp is looking for, and what is the correct string name that robohelp wants.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\RoboHelp\Word\10.00\Components\12

Created: Word15 = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\WINWORD.EXE

(no joy)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At your own risk, see if this post helps.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6019401?tstart=0#6019401

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that, though the thread appears to be addressing an issue with importing Word documents into your RoboHelp project, which I'm able to do without applying the fix.

In that thread, mcolegro's post from Jan 16 2014 had interesting info about the InstallRoot key in the registry. I could make sense of it, and after replicating the solution I re-installed RoboHelp 11 (in case the RoboHelp installer would pick up on the new InstallRoot key data).

Unfortunately, using the registry to point RoboHelp towards the newer version of Word didn't resolve the "Cannot find Word when generating Printed Documentation" issue. Mind you, I don't have an older version of Word installed, though there was a framework of keys to which I could logically add the InstallRoot key...

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\InstallRoot

...and point it to where Word 15 (2013) was installed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Process Monitor to analyze RoboHelp’s Registry activity, I note the following:

When attempting to print documentation, RoboHelp is failing multiple attempts to read keys from:

(A) HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Adobe\RoboHelp\11.00\Components\16

I believe RoboHelp is seeking to read keys from the wrong location, which is actually located here:

(B)HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\RoboHelp\Word\10.00\Components\16

However, looking at values stored at (B), these appear to be related to RoboHelp 10, which means that copying those key values to (A) does not entirely make sense. For example, (B) has a DLLPath field that points to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 10\RoboHELP\ExternalComponent.dll

…and RoboHelp 11 does not have an ExternalComponent.dll module.

Regardless, I performed a test by copying the Components\16 fields from (B) to (A), and then I observed whether RoboHelp demonstrated any differences in behaviour. There was no significant change, so I reversed my copying of the Components\16 fields.

Aside from copying the fields, there is a Buffer Overflow error (with Length = 144) that is unusual. It occurs when RoboHelp seeks to read RegQueryValue from the following key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe\RoboHelp\11.00\MontereyFrame\Open\WinHelp File (*.hlp)\DLL

…the value for which points to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 11\RoboHTML\hlp2html.dll

(which is a total 68 character length, and I confirmed that there were no extra spaces)

(144 character length appears to be recurring path length being sought, for example the Path for various editors that RoboHelp can potentially use).

Note: As has been mentioned previously, mucking about in the Registry is not a normal activity. I'd rather not be doing this, though I'd like to see the issue resolved. So I'm posting notes here that I can at least refer to Adobe Tech Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eager did you get this matter resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp