Exit

Printing PDF Directly to the Printer

New Here ,
May 08, 2007 May 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,
I have created a PDF file using CFFILE and now
I'd like to print a pdf file directly to a printer (or at least without human intervention).
Thanks in advance.
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The server is only going to be able to print to printers of which the
server is aware. You can not automatically print to a client's printer,
that would be a really horrible thing if HTTP allowed this.

There are some activeX controls that may do this for Windows OS systems,
but the users will have to agree to install them.

But generally this is not a good idea for a server client system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note to Ian, in an intranet environment it's a conceivable job. In fact one of my current projects involves "no prompt printing". Unfortunately for Shikha, I'm not printing pdfs so what I did might not work for you.

But it might give you some ideas. My approach was to write a batch file that launched notepad in minimized state on the server. Notepad would then print the text file I had created to the server's default printer.

Maybe Ian will be nice and give you a hint on how to find those active x controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2007 May 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Acrobat does have some scripting interfaces, but unfortunately I'm not that familiar with them. You could try doing a serach for instantiating the Acrobat software as a COM object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2007 May 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
You might want to check out iText. A version of iText is already installed with Coldfusion MX 7, so installing the latest version on the server may not be necessary. The link is located below. Review the section entitled, 'Silent printing'. Again, a version of iText.jar is already on the server, so try the code first, and if it doesn't necessarily work, then you'll have to install the latest version for best results.
Link: http://itextdocs.lowagie.com/tutorial/general/webapp/index.html#silentprint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation