Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text fields - intial text

New Here ,
May 14, 2007 May 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have discovered Text Fields, and I absolutely love them!! I do have one question, well, actually tow. I would like the initial text (the text that appears in the field) to disappear when the user starts typing. Is this possible?? And, can I change the attributes of the text (font, color, etc)?

Thanks!

Linda - Technical Writer, GUARD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Linda. Do you mean drop down and expanding text boxes? If so, the text you see can't disappear automaticallly when a user starts typing but all you need to do is to select all (Cntl + A) before typing to do this manually. You can also change the font appearance by changing the required style in your style sheet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum,

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, yes, I am talking about expanding text boxes. I was really hoping RH had this capability. And I was really hoping to avoid some end user questions; hopefully they will look before they start entering information.

Thanks again,
Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's something I've found mildly irritating from time to time. If you'd like to add some grist to the mill you could submit this as a wish list item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Ummm, I'm a bit confused by this thread. It sounds like Linda is describing a Form Element. Specifically, a Text Entry field. Colum's answer, which is marked as "The answer" refers to Expanding Text (Which is a Dynamic HTML option).

I'm confused because users likely would never even consider typing into an Expanding Text area. But they *WOULD* expect to type into a Text Entry Field.

I'm pretty certain that the prepopulated text could be erased on entry by using some JavaScripting. You should be able to easily control the text formatting of the Text Entry Field using RoboHelp HTML's built in methods.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2007 May 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for your input. I guess I am the one who was confused. I thought Colum was talking about the same thing I was. I am talking about Form Element text boxes.

I am not real good at JavaScripting, but if I know it can be done, I'll do what I can to figure it out. The text formatting is not quite as important, but that sounds easy enough to manipulate in HTML.

Thanks,
Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2007 May 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Linda

Here is a link that may help with the font bit: click here

And here is another link that may help with the JavaScript bit. click here

Hope these help a bit... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp