• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

IDD CS6 not compatible with IDD CS8

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a CS6 file (created and last saved by IDD CS6), but my InDesign has been updated to CS8, and when I try to open the CS6 file, I'm told it was last saved as CS9--which I don't have yet--and it can't be opened. How could the file have converted to a version of ID that I do not have? The properties information for the file specifies that it is CS6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got some confusion here with the numbering...

CS6 is Version 8.x. CC (AKA CS7 in some dialogs that were finished before the naming was finalized) is version 9.x There is no CS8 or CS9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying the version number and the CS number, but that doesn't change the fact that the message I get upon attempting to open the file tells me that it was last saved as CS9 and can't be opened. It tells me that I should do a Save As and downsave and export to IDML, but since I can't open it, I can't very well downsave or export it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently somebody opened and saved the file in CC (version 9)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's highly unlikely since no one but me uses this computer and uses InDesign so it is a mystery. When I go to Adobe Update (cloud) it tells me my ID is up-to-date, but it remains CC(version 8). What do I need to do to update it to version 9?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PacosMother wrote:

That's highly unlikely since no one but me uses this computer and uses InDesign so it is a mystery. When I go to Adobe Update (cloud) it tells me my ID is up-to-date, but it remains CC(version 8). What do I need to do to update it to version 9?

One more time.. CC is version 9. If you see a CC icon it's version 9. CS6 is version 8. You can have both installed, and both will show up in the Creative Cloud Desktop Application (and may show as up to date, if they are). If you have both, then CC would be the default application version that would open files you double-click, so it's entirely possible you converted a file unintentionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDD Message.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message is exactly correct. It's telling you that the file was last saved in CC (version 9.0), and in order to open it in your CS6 version you will need to first open in CC, then save as .idml.

That's it, nothing else to tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I understand. So there's no way I can update my ID to CC version 9 since I can't open it and downsave and export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a subscription to Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a subscription to the Creative Cloud, and, in fact, last night updated the applications I use, including InDesign, (I hoped that would solve the problem) which now identifies as version 8.0.2. I looked back at all of my installed adobe programs and see that CS4 (a pre-Creative Cloud, purchased version) is still on the computer. The only other available ID is CS6, version 8.0.2. (Thank you for being patient with me . . .)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your subscription includes CC and CS6, so all you need to do is download CC. The first thing to do is Quit (from the gear menu in the upper right corner of the CC Desktop application), then restart the desktop app and log in again with your Adobe ID. It will want to update the application if there are updates available, then switch to the applications tab and you should be able to download ID CC (version 9.2 at this point). If you don't have the desktop application, go to Creative.Adobe.com and download it (its on the opt row, second from the right end). You can also download InDesign from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try these options--Thanks. I'll let you know how I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously have CC installed already or you wouldn’t have been able to save the other file with it.

Go to the start screen and type InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops--sorry Bob, you, too, like Peter, are always patient with me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sort of like Batman and Robin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I'm not sure you want to go there....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob and Peter can be my batman and Robin any time. I'm downloading InDesign CC now--dropped my internet connection twice when I tried it before. I will persevere, though, suffering as I am on the North Shore of Oahu and struggling with wi-fi in a rented cabin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I blame a day of being buried in the snow. <g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bob Levine schrieb:

I blame a day of being buried in the snow. <g

Now, in spring? We here in Munich, Southern Germany have a really nice spring, temps will go up to 17°C today (Friday). It is really warm here, trees start to be green. It was a winter with not much snow and an early spring, always a warm breeze from the south this year. (Last few winters were terrible cold from October to Mid April.) Normally, Southern Bavaria and West Austria have the most snow in Central Europe, this Year even Italy, Greece, Israel, Arab States and Northern Germany had more snow and cooler temparatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have found it!! In the CC desktop application, I finally (out of desperation) scrolled down through the list of New Apps, and it offered InDesign CC. I'm downloading as I type. [sigh]. Thanks Peter, you are always so patient with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just search Adobe for version 9 and found that I might be able to download it directly from the site as opposed to waiting for it to show up on CC app update list. I'll let you know if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will never show up there if it hasn’t been installed.

And read that error message again. It does not say CS9, it says CC version 9.

On a related note, nice to see Adobe finally fixed that error message from CS7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may just be going in circles. When I clicked download for ID at https://creative.adobe.com/products/indesign, it asked for an application to use to download--I chose Creative Cloud, which opened the CC pane and shows my ID as up-to-date . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines