14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2014 9:00 PM by Chuck Uebele RSS

Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)

Taroslord

Hi.

First I want to say the new Generate-> Image Assets script in combination with the Linked Assets are something like the current "holy grails" for my work. Actually... but the generate script results in BIG problems when working on a bigger project.

First I try to explain, what I actually do. I am creating dozens of icons for the game industry. I have project files that includes really a lot of different layers and groups within a single PSD file. In the history I worked with slices to manage all the crop work and save the single files.

The new generate tool saves me a lot of time and should be a great help. You must know, I have far more than 150 different icons, represented by smart objects or vector shapes within a single PSD! So the generate script needs always some time to create all external images. And this was the time I found the bug.

What happen?

As long as the script is running and generating images you are not able to select any layer or blending pulldown menu in any project window inside photoshop.

So when you try to select a layer or try to click on a blending menue, the layer and the menu close immadiately. The same happen if you try to switch the generator script off while it is running (generating images). The click in the menu will just be ignored.

- The mentioned problems disappear as soon as the generate tool finished the job (created all images).

- The problems never happen, when the tool is not active (Generate->Image assets not checked).

How to reproduce?

1. Create a blank canvas in photoshop. (CTRL+N)

2. Create a blank layer and paint some information on it. Rename the layer to "test01.png".

3. Duplicate the layer and rename the copy to "test02.png". Do this until you have a lot of layers.

Create enough layers to have time to reproduce the problem. Let's say 20 Layers, better more. This is important, because the more layers you have, the longer the script is running and you have the time to reproduce the problem.

5. Check the function File->Genarate->Image Assets

6. Save your file.

7. Try immediately to rename any layer by double click on it, or try to click on the blending mode pulldown. -> Impossible, because both closes immadiately as long as the generate routine is running.

Please fix this for the next update!

Such a functionality is a really great improvement and a "must buy" argument for people like me who work with dozen of assets that have to be saved as single files.

I have reproduced this problem on two different systems. Windows 7 and Windows 8 installations.

Regards from germany

Chris

• 1. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
          Chuck Uebele ACP/MVPs

I can't say for sure, not being an Adobe engineer, but the script that generates the Generator assets is an extendScipt (javaScript).  This type of script ties up Photoshop until it has completed.  so while most of the time it's not noticeable with small files, ones like yours are going to cause problems.  Only suggestion would be to break up the file into different assets, so you don't have so many in one file.

• 2. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
            Taroslord Community Member

Thank you for your answer.

Yes I know that. But this is just a workaround for an existing problem. It is important Adobe knows that.

Yes, I could seperate all my icons. But it is much more comfortable to work in one file. I can see all icons at once and can work with all of them. I use some for new work, combine them etc. The most important for this work are Smart Objects, I am working with smart objects a lot in one file for having the mentioned possibilities. To seperate them is a way but makes me inflexible.

At the moment I am using this workaround:
            1. Switch Generate on.

2. Wait until all files are created. (Do nothing while waiting... bad thing by the way.)

3. Switch Generate off when all is done and continue my work.

Best wishes

Chris

• 3. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
              Chuck Uebele ACP/MVPs

Yes, that sounds like the best workaround at this time.

• 4. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)

Hi.

I’ve installed the latest photoshop update (14.2.1 x64). Unfortunately the new update makes me now impossible to use the generator routine. My project needs “decades” longer to realise that I’ve activated the generator in the File menu. I click on Generate->Image Assets and nothing happens… first. After half a minute or so the checkbox eppear finally. You must know: I have more than 100 Layers to be generated to single images. A lot of them are smart objects or groups.

When I finally save my file to start the generate routine, I needs a lot ( ! ) longer to generate the images than before.

Additionally my main problem is stil lthere: Impossible to rename any layer or activate the blending menue, while the generator runs.

So with this update I’ve to wait much much longer to activate or deactivate the generate routine. Deactivating needs a long time too… What have you done there Adobe? (Sorry for this words.)

@Adobe support: Please contact me personally via mail if possible and I will send you the project file where this problem appear. I can’t publish the file for everybody, sorry guys.

Do someone knows how to go back to the prevoius installation? Really sad about the generator. A must buy argument and actually a real time saver.

• 5. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                  Noel Carboni Community Member

I'm not with Adobe, and I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I wanted to ask a question:

Have you watched your system resources when it's taking a long time for Generator to run?  Is there a chance memory is full, and/or Photoshop is struggling with disk access?  It just seems kind of odd to experience that kind of delay; a modern computer can crunch through an awful lot of data in just a second.

-Noel

• 6. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)

Hi Noel.

Thank you for your feedback.

The problem appeared after the current adobe update. Yesterday all worked well (With the workaround I mentioned before.) Since yesterday there were no changes. So there is a "big chance" the new issue is because of the new update.

My system has 16 GBytes of RAM and a fast processor, enough gigabytes of free harddisk ram too. So I don't think it is a system reason.

-Chris

• 7. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)

Hi friends.

Now the Generate->Image Assets tool is not working anymore. It ends with an error message. Unfortunately the message says nothing special just that the generate tool has an error and ends...

What I've done this time?

I have added some more new layers, groups for further icons to my project. Now I have more than 120 elements and the generate tool ends at this point.

Do someone knows how I can bring my photoshop cc back to version 14.1.2?

• 8. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                        TLL... Community Member

If you are running a win 7 machine try doing a system restore to a point before you updated CC...

• 9. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)

Hi TLL.

Unfortunately there were no restore point made for the last update. But thank you for the tip.

Best wishes

Chris

PS: In the meantime I came in contact with the Adobe support. They have my file now and work on the problem.

• 10. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                            Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Hi, we aren't able to reproduce with our own 100+ layer PSDs. Would you be willing to share a file with us (Dropbox or Creative Cloud)?

I can send you an email if you want to share privately.

• 11. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                              Chuck Uebele ACP/MVPs

Jeff One thing I've notice with doing my own scripting on images with numerous layers (1000 to 2000) is that it quickly brings PS to a crawl and often I need to force a shut down of PS, even if the script has stopped.  There might be something with Generator also in that it runs off of Extendscript and if you get too many layers or a huge file, it brings PS to it's knees.

• 12. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                                Jeffrey Tranberry Adobe Employee

Hey Chuck,

If you have file & script, I'd like to get them into Tom Ruark, Joel Brandt, and Tim Wright's hands. (you can submit it through the PR)

• 13. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                                  Chuck Uebele ACP/MVPs

Jeff, it's not for generator, but the script and file do cause issues.  The script is a simple one that just loops through the number of layers and randomizes them, and the file is about 180mb containing 200+ graduated shape layers.  I'll put it in the forums.

Chuck

• 14. Re: Generate->Image Assets - ugly Bug found (reproducible)
                                    Chuck Uebele ACP/MVPs

Ran a few test with a another multi layer file of 378 groups each containing two shape layers.  I assigned jpg & png tags the groups.  I ran it twice one with the file size in excess of 10,000 px and once with it at 2000 px on the long side.  Both attempts stopped at group 178, no error message, just stopped.