• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Users on Lightroom? Or Other Solution?

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just called Adobe technical support and spoke with someone about using Lightroom to organize patient photos in a medical office.  I was told that Lightroom does not support multiple users, and there is no work-around solution or plug-in for this.  Can you please confirm this?  I need a software to organize a photo library/catalog of appx 20K before and after photos.  Multiple users (appx 3-5) need to be able to access and update the same library/catalog simultaneously.  We are a Mac only office.  Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR stores it’s photo information in a catalog database that does not support multi-user access. I’ll leave it to others to recommend something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can i use my CC Suite across multiple user accounts in the first place.

Can someone logged into user account A,...on LR catalog A co exist when they log off and Account B logs on, and then uses catalog B?

Will the different user accounts cause LR to simply open Catalog A on account A and B on account B without any knowledge of the users. So they dont have to choose the catalog, it simply loads when LR is opened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lrmdmedia wrote:

Multiple users (appx 3-5) need to be able to access and update the same library/catalog simultaneously.

Lightroom is the wrong tool for the job - consider Bridge instead.

At the risk of stating the obvious: no matter which way you go (software-wise), you (your team, I mean) need to make sure one person isn't stompling on what another has done (or preventing access denial when it's needed).

That said, many have come up with Lightroom-based solutions that support some people working on one set of photos (or same set of photos, but different metadata/settings), whilst another team member works on a different set (or same set, but not same settings/metadata). - whether any of these ad-hoc solutions would be acceptable to you, I can't say.

But most of them involve using catalog export/import, or xmp, and/or reserving exclusive (master) catalog access temporarily...

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider using true multi-user software, like Daminion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Aperture, if I remember correctly, there was a way to sync changes between catalogs. Is this feature not available in Lightroom? For example if I work on the catalog at my desktop at time point A, work on my laptop later at time point B, work on my desktop again at time point C (without seeing changes from point B), can I then at time point D, be able to sync time points A, B, C?

Can syncing edits not be done in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no automatic synchronizing of catalogs in Lightroom.

it can be done manually, with repeated effort every time you change a catalog, and if you want to go down that path, don't make any mistakes or forget, because then you have two catalogs that are not synchronized, but you think they are.

For all intents and purposes, I will say it cannot be done in the long term.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Daminion! It works fine with different users and different rights per user!

How to Share Lightroom Catalogs with Different Computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

Users have been asking for Lightroom to be multi-user capable for years.  My understanding is the the core database architecture is SQL Lite.  While it wouldn't necessarily be EASY, it really shouldn't be that hard for a company with the resources of Adobe to update the software architecture to be able to connect to a database other than the local single-user SQL database.  With Lightroom being a workhorse for many working professionals with multiuser and enterprise requirements, it is completely unfathomable that Adobe isn't responding to customer demands for a workable solution to this issue.  I for one have started my search to replace Adobe products in my professional workflow since they can't seem to get their act together on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2015 Aug 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum in which Adobe rarely participates.  There is a topic in the official Adobe feedback forum on this subject: Lightroom: Multi-User / Multi Computer (Shared catalog on a network).  It is one of the most-requested features over the past four years.  You might add your vote and opinion there -- it has more of a chance of influencing Adobe there than here.  Adobe says they read every post there and they participate much more frequently there than here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now 2020. It's a shame. No Multiuser since what? 10 Years? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Urs0101 LATEST
56m ago

Copy link to clipboard

It is now 2020. It's a shame. No Multiuser since what? 10 Years? 

End Quote:

No that would be 13 years. Lr(C) came to the public in 2007 and has never been a Multiple user, Catalog stored on a networked drive and accessed by different users on different computers, program.

I am going to mark your reply to this 5 year old conversation as Spam to remove it (along with this reply from me) and lock this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make that 14 years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@tomw7894974you know why Adobe hasn't done this?

Becuase they don't want to, they have no intention of doing this, and so you are not going to see Lightroom Classic as a multi-user software. At least, not at this price point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines