• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed Captions Not Working (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2013 Oct 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a closed caption in premiere pro cc (trial version) but when I am in the captions tab, am unable to select the 'add' caption button. I have enabled the captions and have watched many video tutorials and searched the web for answers but there is nothing about why the 'add' caption option might not be available?

[Please choose only a short description for the thread title.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

I see two issues:

1. If we're talking about the closed captions on Video 2 in the screenshot, then I notice that the track is disabled, as indicated by the slash across the eye icon.
  2. The caption clip that's loaded in the Captions panel is 608, but the Captions Settings panel is set to 708.

So you may need to set the Caption Settings to 608 and enable V2 by clicking the eye icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/closed-captioning.html

add caption: file / new / closed caption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Thanks for this, I have tried that option and seen that adobe help page. The captions still don't show up on my video - I have enabled the closed captions in the top right hand drop down menu, I have selected the correct time that I want the caption to appear and it just doesn't appear.

If anyone could help me that would be great, the following is what I have done:

Is there any reason why it wouldn't be showing up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I partially moved to Premiere CC for the closed captioning feature and it is not working. As you have done, I have read the help files and watched many videos on how to do it. I'm doing it exactly the way the describe and show, but the text is simply not appearing on the footage. It is enabled, everything is in place. but no text. Need a solution to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did my first captioning with premiere cc recently.

make sure your sequence is 720x486 not 720x480 which clips out the line 21 area needed for the captioning to go.

to see the captions in the program monitor you have to turn on the captioning view button in the program monitor (right monitor) if you don't see it, you need to add the button in the customization settings for the program monitor.

turn on your overscan on your external monitor and you will see the little captioning line blips at the very top.

I did an edit to tape to make a digibeta and it worked perfectly.

what did not seem to work was exporting a prores quicktime file with the captioning embeded, the line blips were not

present, but editing laying back to tape it did work so I just recaptured from the tape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is my issue at all. In fact, I have been working with it more and found even more issues. The reason it is not appearing where it should is because it is now appearing where it should not.

Here is a video with the problem I am now having.

http://youtu.be/wBJrVm5y1Ts

I'm convinced this is not something I am doing wrong but a major bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one thing I see is that your render line is RED.

I could be wrong but I don't believe it will properly preview captions unless it's at least yellow.

try rendering it and seeing what happens.

also looks like you are mixing color green with white, try making them all white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy. I rendered the segment to get an all green, fully rendered area of the clip/sequence. Same problem. Rendering made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I tried to start from scratch with it. deleted the Closed Caption layer and made a brand new one. Entered each segment in, aligned the text correctly, kept it all white, re-rendered. Same deal. Three segments into it, it starts overlapping and getting completely messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video of the latest attempt. This is incredibly frustrating.

http://youtu.be/XYYztRqt_cs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The closed cpation editor may be the problem. Editing one entry effects the others. Major bug in here somewhere.

http://youtu.be/DZa8niYgxyk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see now on your other newer thread that it's an issue if you have installed OS X Mavericks.

I've learned over the years that It's best to never install any new O/S until at least the first update has been issued

as there is almost always some kind of problems or issues that crop up.

At the very least if you must have it for whatever reason, at least make a backup of your system disk first

so if something like this happens you can get back to what worked before.

I know Adobe claimed there were no issues installing Mavericks....but you can't really take anyone's word for it

and expect smooth sailing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2013 Nov 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jess,

Did you ever figure this out?  am having the same problem and I don't know what to do. I have my captions and I can see them in the caption tab but it doesn't show up on my video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2013 Nov 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please be more specific about what you mean by "it doesn't show up on my video." Do you mean that you can't see the captions displayed in the Source Monitor? In the Timeline? In the Program Monitor? In encoded outputs with captions set to be embedded?

If you're referring to either or both of the monitors in PPRO, have you enabled caption display and made sure in each monitor's Closed Captions Display Settings dialog that the Standard and Stream match your source captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue in PProCC. The captions are showing in the captions tab & in my timeline. But they are not showing in the Program Monitor and I have enabled them. I have also done what you suggested here ensuring that the Settings match. In the Source monitor the option to enable is not available (greyed out).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2013 Dec 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amy,

Please post a screenshot of the PPRO UI showing the Captions panel, Timeline, Program Monitor, and with the Caption Settings dialog open.

In the Source Monitor, the Enable Caption button/menu setting is available only when a caption sidecar or a clip w/ embedded captions is loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PRPRO.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see two issues:

1. If we're talking about the closed captions on Video 2 in the screenshot, then I notice that the track is disabled, as indicated by the slash across the eye icon.
  2. The caption clip that's loaded in the Captions panel is 608, but the Captions Settings panel is set to 708.

So you may need to set the Caption Settings to 608 and enable V2 by clicking the eye icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, but my video track is not disabled. Everything should be working fine. But no subtitles show up at all.

I alerted Adobe to this problem over two months ago and they did a screen share to see it. They said they would get back to me and never did. I need to get ahold of them again as I have two projects for paying clients that have been delayed because the CC simply does not work. I had hoped the latest updates woudl fix this, but no dice.

Here is a fast video I made of it:

http://youtu.be/8hmiG4YXm08

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2014 Jan 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,
I was having the same problem but I think I figured it out

When we create a new closed caption the default settings (at least for my footage) are CEA-608
but the source monitor's closed caption's settings are by default CEA-708.
So change that to CEA-608 and enable to view them.

I'm not too sure but I believe the "CEA-608" displays SD captions while "CEA-708" displays HD captions.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep that was the issue, the 608/708. Thanks for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved my problem too. really needs to be some display showing what the CC layer on the time line is and the viewers are at min. Needs to be a better way to handle this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I got a problem with closed captions when I enabled them on the top right corner and put the setting to "708", then I go to File - New - Closed Caption and create a new one with the setting "708" to match it, I type my text, then I just Click on the time lime and the Closed Caption dissapears instantly no matter wha value (608) I put on the settings on either panel. Am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what is happening and here is how I work around it. And it is not a happy work around.

I create the closed captioning file, enable the closed captioning window and enable the program closed caption window making sure it is the same cea-708 format. Then when creating captions it is hit or miss, some of them show up some of them do not, there is a sure fire way to tell if it is going to show or not. The black boxes on the left (although very tiny and unreadable) will show the white text. If there is no white text showing there then the caption is not going to show in the program window. It will still show in the timeline, however it will not display on the program window and it will not export.

So some of the captions worked just fine and display properly with no issues, I was able to get about 20 or so captions in a row working properly then I got another blank one. I have tried deleting the caption and creating a new one, I have tried closing premiere and re-opening and still same thing, the next caption will be blank.

My horrible work around: if I leave the blank caption and then create a new one right after it, the new caption works. so for every blank caption I have to create a second one. Pain in the butt! specially considering I am captioning a feature film.

I am supposed to deliver my film to the distributor next week, which is my problem but I could have had a caption service do it for me for about $150 no head aches, instead I went with the CC cloud thing and just like I thought...issues.

First image is the broken caption:

Premiere CC Closed Captions1.jpg

Second image is working caption (BUT ONLY WORKS AFTER KEEPING THE BROKEN ONE IN, if the broken one is deleted the new one also will be broken.)

Premiere CC Closed Captions2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been in contact with Adobe engineers about the multitude of problems with closed captioning. I have had this same issue and others. Adobe has even done screen shares to try and see the problem. Every time, they tell me that they concluded this is the way closed captioning standards work and the overlapping/erroneous timings/just plain buggy performance is not a bug. They say they do not consider it a bug at this time. Even though they see it mess up and have no idea how to fix it.

The closed captioning system is completely unusable. I do understand how it works, how it should work and the cc system with premiere is an epic fail. I have completely given up using it and have had to drop it from my services offered to clients. I have told adobe there problems and shown them how unusable it is with no Updates to fix these problems. So I'm just dismissing it as a viable feature until Adobe figures out they are wrong and this needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines