• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setup.exe - is it safe?

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my user account control is asking me if I want to allow a program called setup.exe from an unknown publisher to make changes to my computer.  This happened not long after installing Adobe photoshop elements and premiere elements and following an update installation.  Is this program safe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that program from adobe would not run unless you clicked on it.  if it's one of adobe's setup.exe programs, it's safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Is there a way I can be sure that it is one of adobe's programs and not just a coincidence that the message appeared in this approximate timeframe please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could check the path of the file to see if it's in an adobe subfolder.

but again, you should NOT see any prompt about an adobe setup.exe unless you just clicked on it.  setup.exe never runs with a time delay (except in corporate settings where the installation would be silent).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to clarify, the message which asks me if I want to allow a program file from an unknown publisher to make changes to my computer comes up each time I start up my computer, before I have opened any files, internet connection or after accessing Adobe or any other systems.  I only get the choice to accept or deny.  I always deny;  but the message comes back each time I start up my computer again.  The message from my User Account Control says the program location is C:\Users\Janice\AppData\Local\Temp\s4pc\setup.exe\S.  I have tried to find this location but there is nothing similar in the Temp folder.  Perhaps this is where it intends to store the file rather than where it has stored a file?  I can't find anything in the Adobe files which looks like this and I can't find any tasks relating to this on task manager (although I have to say I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for).

I have run my virus scan and nothing was detected.

I have also tried to research various 'help' sites, some of which say that setup.exe is not spyware, adware or a virus, but you should not delete it as it is an essential file required by my computer's Windows operating system.  They suggest that setup.exe problems can be fixed by downloading a setup.exe repair tool but I don't want to click on any links if the source is unknown to me.

I'm getting rather confused and I am sorry to take up your time but any advice you can offer would be gratefully received.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines