• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Annoying Photoshop CC Lag

Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I just recently installed CC a few weeks ago and have started getting an annoying lag when moving images around that have a layer effect attached (and even without), it usually takes the program 2-5 seconds to move them, so I don't actually see how far they've moved. I never had this issue with CS6 and it's starting to get annoying, especially when it's happening in the basic stages of my work.

Is there a solution to this issue? I tried allowed Photoshop to use over 2GB of RAM and they didn't make a difference as well. This isn't happening with any other programs as well and never happened with CS6. Is there a solution to this issue?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Edit: Actually, it's happening with virtually everything I'm doing in the program.

Edit 2: Also, I noticed it's only allowing me to set up to a maximum of 3.2GB of RAM usage when I have 16GB installed on my system? Am I doing something wrong here?

Edit 3: In relation to Edit 2, it turns out the issue was that the files are default opening in 32 bit mode. Opening in 64 bit should fix my problem T_T

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Branislav Kitanovic wrote:

Edit 2: Also, I noticed it's only allowing me to set up to a maximum of 3.2GB of RAM usage when I have 16GB installed on my system? Am I doing something wrong here?

Edit 3: In relation to Edit 2, it turns out the issue was that the files are default opening in 32 bit mode. Opening in 64 bit should fix my problem T_T

Mac only has a 64 bit Photoshop CS6 version so your on a Windows 64 bit PC.

When you install CS6 on a PC Windows 64 Bit system by default both the 32bit and 64

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody can say anything without system info. Could be graphics issues, though, so start by updating your graphics driver.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I'm on a Mac Pro. System info:

Mac Pro

Quad-core Intel Xeon 2.4 GHz

22GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 (I've updated all my drivers)

Adobe needs to fix this. I'm getting lag with 100px brushes, for crying out loud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your referring to Photoshop wet mixer brushes some processes do no lend themselves to performing the task using separate threads that run in parallel  on separate processors to get the job done faster. Some processes depend on thing being done in a sequence of steps for one depend on the other having been done laying down paint while picking up paint and mixing together to form new color to be layed down can not be done in parallel.

Things like Smart sharpening can be spread across processors. Where each processor works on a separate area of the image. Each image area is independent from the others areas. There is no inter dependencies, no special sequence each area can take a different amount of time time to sharpen when the last longest running area is done the image is sharpened.

The larger you make the brush tip the longer the latency will be and the faster you stroke the more noticeable the lag will be. Don't try to be the guy on TV that painted image with huge wet brushes. Some thing that happen in an instant in the physical world take a lot of data processing in the digital world to duplicate the physical world instant event. There a lot of number crunching going on.....

Your Quard Core Xeon 2.4GHX processor will do the brush job fasted then my Dual Six core 2.0 GHz Xeon Processors for your single core clock speed is faster the my processors single core clock speed. My Dual Six core xeons wil sharpen images faster then your quad core xeon.  For there its 24  2.0GHz  threads vs your 8  2.4GGHz  threads.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart Sharpen is now using the GPU in Photoshop 14.2.  But a lot of other filters are multi-threaded and CPU-bound (e.g., Radial Blur).

Electropithecus, it might be helpful if you'd provide a bit more info - like exactly WHAT brush you're using, what size it is,  Whether you're using the Mixer Brush tool, etc.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry; just using the standard brush tool (I don't really use the mixer brush), 100px simple round, 10% spacing, with only pressure sensitivity applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

electropithecus wrote:

Sorry; just using the standard brush tool (I don't really use the mixer brush), 100px simple round, 10% spacing, with only pressure sensitivity applied.

Pressure sensitivity to how many brush dynamics and what size document are your writing about. The only time I see latency is on very  large size document that is being worked on zoomed out to around 16.7% and one use very fast long swirling brush strokes for you laying down a large amount of pixels then scaled down to 16.7% zoom.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressure sensitivity (Transfer) is the only brush dynamic. Opacity & flow are set to pressure, minimum 0%. Smoothing is on. 100px standard round brush, 10% spacing.

I work with hi-res documents, usually around 6000px wide or tall, sometimes a little larger. The point is that I didn't have this problem with CS6. It could be a Wacom driver issue with OSX Mavericks, but since I'm hearing about this cross-platform, I doubt that's the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a PC user with CS6 and CC I see about the same amount of latency. The only way I see any latency is to edit a document that is large like 6 or 7 K pixels wide and high.  Have it at like 16.7% zoom the paint with very rapid long swirling brush strokes. What I see on a PC in any case I would not call annoying at all.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Branislav Kitanovic wrote:

Mac only has a 64 bit Photoshop CS6 version so your on a Windows 64 bit PC.

When you install CS6 on a PC Windows 64 Bit system by default both the 32bit and 64bit version of Photoshop are installed,  This is so you can install and run old 32 bit Plug-ins.  Your System defaults should be set to run run the 64 bit version by default.   Somehow its sounds like your system is defaulting the the 32 bit version.  On a Windows system there are defaults all over the place. It maybe there is only one set wrong or many may be set wrong or you simply using the shortcut to launch Photoshop 32 instead of Photoshop 64.

The first thing you need to do is look at how you starting Photoshop.  If your starting Photoshop from a shortcut. Right click on the shortcut. Click on properties and look at what version of Photoshop it starts.

Photoshop 64 is: "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe"

Photoshop 32 is; "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Photoshop.exe"

It you launching Photoshop from the Bridge, LR, or Windows file explorer you need to see how they are setup to launch Photoshop.

You may have notice the both versions file name is "Photoshop.exe"  If Photoshop is being launch by the name "Photoshop.exe" you need to check which version Windows is set to default to.

If you feel lots of defaults are wrong try reinstalling cs6 on top of itself,  This may fix any windows registry defaults. and should remain activated.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am also experiencing the same issue when running Photoshop CC on a macbook retina. Is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2015 Aug 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this issue with every aspect of Photoshop CC. I don't experience any lag in Bridge or Lightroom and never had this problem with CS6. I am using a MacBook Pro Retina and I don't understand how to fix this problem. It is very frustrating when I am trying to edit numerous photos and it takes over 30 seconds to recognise a change I have made. Can anyone help with this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys, i was also bothered by this same issue, atleast the laggy feel of ps CC, did some more googling, and found this to solve my problem. It's such a tiny tweak, but i'm SO happy this did the trick for me.
The problem seems to be present when the rulers are set to active. So hit ctrl-R, cmd-R, and turn them off, see if the problem is still there..

Link: Photoshop CC 2015 temporary performance fix - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines