• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table of Contents

New Here ,
May 17, 2007 May 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created my table of contents manually (very manually), and when I re-generate the project, it was essentially gone (just the first folder in my Project tab I think).

How can I either have it leave my TOC alone, or set it up so the correct TOC is generated?

Gail

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gail. The language you use seems to suggest you are using Webhelp as your outptut format. Can you confirm this and whether you have any conditional build tags or megred help in evidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for being a bit of a beginner at this - thank god for someone to help!
Yes, I am using Webhelp as my output format.
I have not used any conditional build tags, not have I merge anything (unless this can happen on its own).

Though I'm hoping a path is the answer (as that sounds quick and easy) I wonder if it is that easy, since when I look at the folders at my publishing site, only the ones that appear in my ouput are actually there - there are more image files on my local machine.
Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops - sorry. Wrong thread.... Ignore that last part about the path for this question.
Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem Gail. The only reason I asked was because there is a seperate Webhelp forum yet the answer you give has a bearing on the answer. No matter though. Have you checked to see if the problem occurs in your output before you publish? It might also be worth using the "Republish All" option in the final dialog of the publishing wizzard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry forgot to add that merging can only occur if you have set the help files up to do this. Aren't inherited projects fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Publish differnt from Generate? I've been using File>Generate Primary Layout (WebHelp).

If this is what I'm supposed to do, should I uncheck 'Synchronize TOC' - or set it to manual or something?

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if this problem occurs in my output before I publish...
Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I should have been clear about the difference. The output is the series of files that are created when you compile your webhelp. These are stored away from the server/website and exist to enable you to view the output before you publish it to its final location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I should be the one to apologize. I think I may be missing some steps. (sorry to be such a newbie!)

I built this thing in RoboHelp, and then did the File> Generate primary layout thing.
Am I missing some compile and publish steps? Is there somewhere in the Help that will tell me all this without bugging you?

Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gail

Not trying to tread on Colum's replies here. Just wanting to clarify something you asked about. You asked:
Is Publish different from Generate?

Indeed it is vastly different. When you Generate, you are taking your project source files and creating output files. The output files end up on your local PC. When you Publish (Generate has to occur before publish does) you kick off a process where the output files are copied to the server.

Happy Thursday all! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO, are complile and generate the same thing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do a lot worse than consult the online help file. Look for the Single Source Layouts folder.

BTW compile and generate are the same thing. I use "compile" as most of my help is compiled HTML not webhelp. Sorry for any confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
OK - I've been learning alot today. Thanks for your help.

To summarize:
If I uncheck the 'Synchronize TOC' checkbox when generating, my TOC doesn't get messed up.
And- I'm seeing a pattern to when my images appear or don't

It seems that the books I'm having trouble with are the same books that I somehow generated to the fileshare (not the local generate) I have 5 books there: 2 that either don't have any images anyway (and therefore no missing images) or the images are stored at the same directory level as the page.

The other 3 books are the ones that most or all images are missing.

I wonder if the Rebublish All checkbox woulod be my solution? Does it do anything scary? I'm the single author here - no other contributors.

Gail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp