• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PPBM7 Benchmark for Premiere CC

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a long time coming but Harm (even though he is not active on the forums) and I finally have a Benchmark for Premiere CC (actually properly today's version is Premiere 7.2.1.4).  Harm is the webmaster for us on ppbm7.com.  Without his continuing support I would not be able proceed with a CC version and we would not have his wonderful Tweakers Page.

We have used the exact same timeline that we have used for CS6.  All exports are direct exports from Premiere hence the DE to distinguish from the preceding generation where we used AME.  This eliminates dynamic linking overhead and give truer Premiere benchmarks. 

Since the GUI has changed in CC we need to have a new project that reflects those changes.  So in the current version of CC our benchmark works fine, but as CC evolves we cannot necessarily guarantee compatibility.  One thing we added was a additional script item that retrieves the current Premiere version number so we can understand future changes.

This new benchmark (called PPBM6 or 7-DE.zip) is dual purpose in that it has a project file for both versions so after downloading and unzipping the file you have to chose which project file you need and also there are two Statistics files one for each version.

As with the second version of of PPBM6 it is self instructing in that the first frames of each timeline tell you the instructions for proper setup.  Before you run the benchmark you download Speccy and run the program and save a snapshot for later submission.  You start the project with the Disk I/O timeline and export it, the instrutions then tell you to activate the MPEG2-DVD timeline and perform two exports on it and finally you activate the 7-layer H.264 timeline for the last of the four tests.  Next you go to the project file and run the appropriate Statistics script.  Then you go to Submisson and send the two files to us.  When you close the project file do not save it so that if you want to run it again it will open exactly as the original file.

Unfortunately there are still a few references to PPBM6 which you have to read as PPBM6 or 7.

Here are two conclusions I have drawn after 15 CS6 runs on two different computer and 17 Premiere 7 runs

1.  Premiere 7 is appreciably faster than Premiere 6  on the CPU intensive with PPBM MPEG2-DVD exporting without GPU assistance.

2.  Premiere 7 is slightly faster than Premiere 6 with a single GPU on GPU assisted with PPBM MPEG2-DVD timeline exporting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill and Harm,

Three cheers for you both!!!

Thank for your continued gifts to the user community - the suite of PPBM benchmark tests, the supporting web site, and now lots of tips on system building!

And Bill, I have another conclusion that I think you will agree with:

3. Premiere CC (I don't think they are calling it 7 anymore) uses multiple GPUs to great benefit for the MPEG2-DVD exports.

Regards,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the compliments.  It is a continuing labor of love!

Jim on my unpublished data that I used for my conclusions, I actually have a 3, 4 and 5

3.  Premiere 7 is able to use multiple GPU's to be somewhat faster than Premiere 6 on MPE accelerated effects and features.

4.  Using two GPU's in a 20-lane CPU system is feasible but it does not achieve as good results as a 40-lane system because it slows the PCIe x16 slot speed to x8

5.  A simple boost in the GPU memory speed can provide a noticeable increase in performance with the GPU assisted MPEG2-DVD test (faster encoding).

Jim, if you go into Premiere in the Help and About Premiere it does show you Premiere, Version 7.2.1.4 (today at least) and this is the info we extract when you run the script.  So if they make a major change that requires changes on our end we can detect why or changes in performance that we can alert the users.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill, wanted to try out your Benchmark tool but it seems your website is down, any news?

Tried this on desktop and mobile, same result!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest was http://ppbm8.com/index.html , but it is also showing a 404. Bill last logged in here in May.... Anyone know anything?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just went looking for PPBM today... then came across this... hope all is well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Website is back up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines