• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro XI Mac won't print a .pdf file, but Apple Preview will print correctly

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2013 Sep 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Acrobat Pro XI for Mac.  recently I've run into pdf files that will show the document on screen ok, show up on print preview screen ok, but when I send it to a printer I either get:

1.  no printout... the document passes through the printer queue ok, but nothing comes out (no blank paper, nothing).  no data seems to even reach the printer/print server.  no error.  the print job basically vanishes into thin air like the job was never sent

2.  prints out with all the characters of a text substituted with squares (again, no error. just prints squares instead of text)

But when I print the same document using Apple's Preview program on the same machine, the file prints out fine.

I experience this problem with two different Macs, with two different OS versions.  Again both machines will print the .pdf file fine using Apple Preview, but not with Acrobat Pro XI.

I've searched for this problem, but no one seems to have this problem. I've tried just printing one page, etc., and no difference (won't print, or print wrong using Acrobat, but prints fine using Preview)

the files are typically sent via e-mail from a vendor, or a web downloaded form (invoice, forms filled out.  some are secure, some are not).  and these are from multiple sources.

Any ideas what might be the problem, and how to fix this?

system:

Mac Pro (early 2008) and MacBook Pro (mid-2011)

MacOS 10.8.4 and 10.6.8 (multiple computers have this same problem)

Acrobat Pro XI, 11.0.04

printer: HP LaserJet 5MP (yes.. old.. but it works) via HP JetDirect + print server on  LAN

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would need to see a sample PDF file that fails to print to be able to determine what the issue is. There is no known generic problem comparable to what you describe.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm..  unfortunately all of the forms have rather sensitive information on it.  But, I just redacted one of the .pdf forms, and fortunately it still won't print.  (so doing redaction didn't affect the original printing problem)

what is the best way to attach the file on this forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, regular participants on these forums cannot attach files. Send me a copy via e-mail xxxxxx@adobe.com <redacted e-mail address> and I'll try to get to the bottom of the problem over the next day or so.

By the way, what happens if you try printing to printers other than the LaserJet 5MP?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. i will be sending the file to your e-mail.  THank you for offering your help...

as for printing other than LJ 5MP, I have not tried.  I will see if I can borrow a printer to print it.  but that doesn't really explain why it will print from one program but not from the other, if the printer is the problem (since the OS uses the same printer driver...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I did get your e-mail with the sample file.

I tried printing to two different PostScript printers both from Acrobat 11.0.4 Pro on Windows 7 64-bit and on MacOS 11.8.4.

The PostScript printers were a Xerox Phaser 7400 and a LaserJet 5M, the latter being very close in feature set as well as implementation (both the Adobe PostScript Level 2 and HP code).

I succeeded in printing on both printers both from Windows and Macintosh. No failures of any type whatsoever.

I also ran all our diagnostics against the file. No problems found.

The fact that you are seeing “print as image” grayed out leads me to believe that something is very misconfigured on your computer.

The LaserJet 5MP supports both Adobe PostScript Level 2 and HP PCL5. Is it possible that you installed a PCL driver for that device instead of the PostScript driver?

The other thing that struck me was your description via HP JetDirect + print server on  LAN. Do you mean that you aren't printing directly to the printer, but rather via a spooling system someplace else? That could be the variable. What happens if you bypass the print server and print directly to the LaserJet 5MP? Still fails or not?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

HP Jet Direct EX Plus is essentially an external network adaptor to allow the LJ 5MP to connect to ethernet (RJ45, 10BaseT) LAN through its parallel port (IEEE1284).  It's a pass-through box with no storage capability. Just adds ethernet networking capability to the printer.

the 5MP only has parallel and AppleTalk (gasp!) serial ports, so there is no way for me to print directly with any current computers to the 5MP.  I have an old PowerMac that probably can print directly, but I dont' think that one (Mac OS9 circa 1997) can handle any recent .pdf files.

Print queue/spooling is handled by the computer, not the JetDirect.

as far as I know, I don't think apple/MacOS has PCL output capability and only prints out postscript. Just checked system setup, and it lists Postscript as the language used:

LJ 5MP:

Print Server:    Local

Driver Version:    10.4

Default:    Yes

URI:    lpd://10.0.1.47/

PPD:    HP LaserJet 5MP

PPD File Version:    17.3

PostScript Version:    (2014.103) 0

CUPS Version:    1.4.7 (cups-218.31)

Fax support:    No

Scanning support:    No

Scanning app:    -

Scanning app (bundleID path):    -

Scanner UUID:    -

so it seems like the problem is most likely some sort of a setup issue.

can you tell me what can cause the "print as image" be greyed out?  this may be another symptom of the root cause of the printing problem.  both OS were recently refreshed (meaning, the root drive was wiped clean and re-installed fresh), but I've had the same printing problem before and after OS reinstall (I got a new HDD, since the one before crashed).  but if you can tell me what sort of thing could interfere with the "print as image" capability, I can go looking...

Prior to Acrobat XI Pro, I did have Acrobat Pro 8 installed... not sure if there is any relevance, but thought I'd mention it too, in case there is some corruption due to the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the further information. The HP JetDirect adapter that you are using is functionally identical to the internal JetDirect card inside a LaserJet 5M, the printer I tested printing your file with from my Mac without any issue. (My concern was whether what you really meant by “print server on LAN” was something like a Windows 2008 server providing the spooling services and redirecting your output to the device.

Assuming that you totally uninstalled the old Acrobat 8 prior to installing Acrobat XI, that should not be a problem.

The fact that you have the print as image grayed out is a strong indication that something is not quite kosher with your configuration. Unfortunately, without “hands on” access to your system and network, I think there isn't much more that I can do to assist here.

BTW, if there was any way of you trying to print to another PostScript printer on the network, it would be very helpful to see whether that succeeds and/or whether print as image is also disabled there.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, one more thing to note.  not sure if it's relevant, but I've also tried to "print as image" but when I go to the advanced print setting, that choice is greyed out.

and from cursory check, the "print as image" is greyed out regardless of the .pdf files that will or won't print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems Some configuration issue.
You may call adobe tech support or you may give me a missed call we may work together and may be we can get it done.

[ private information removed - see http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-3731 ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2013 Oct 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, with different hardware. iMac 2.8GHz, running OS X 10.7.5, printing Acrobat X1 to HP Photosmart C4480 via USB. Any PDF file, including those I create, won't print from Acrobat X1, but the same files print no problem from Apple's Preview. 'Print as Image' isn't greyed out though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem on my end. I'm using XI Pro, Mac 2.4GHz quadcore, OSX 10.8.3, printing to an OKI C5400n. I don't see a "Print as Image" option in the printer dialogue box, though so I have not tried that option. Tried reinstalling using Creative Cloud but it says I need a connection to the internet, but if this gets posted...I do. 😕 Hmmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please update Acrobat to the latest version 11.0.6 and confirm whether you are still facing the issue? Also, it would be good to know whether you are facing this issue with all pdf files or just a set of files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know in case you are still facing the issue so that we can continue the investigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

my Acrobat is at 11.0.6, and still has the same problem (pdf won't print from Acrbat, but will print from Preview).

it appears I am encountering pdf files that will not print in acrobat more frequently now.  It's gotten bad enough that I have defaulted all pdf viewing to Preview since more than 50% of the time I can't print from Acrobat.

there are few pdf files that still prints from both Preview and Acrobat, but equal or greater number of pdf files that will not print from Acrobat. 

I haven't quite figured out exactly what kind of pdf files (where/how it has been generated) won't print, but more often than not, pdf generated from web sites form generator (registration receipt, etc) will not print from acrobat.  also files sent from vendors (invoice, shipping confirmation, etc) has a tendency not to print,  but not always.  When I do "print to PDF" from the Print menu, that file tends to print ok on Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share the files which you are unable to print and files in which text are substituted by square box?

You may share the files here https://files.acrobat.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a user that has an iMac and is trying to print a .pdf file to a network copier/printer.  She can print from MS word and anything else to the network copier except acrobat XI pro.  She is able to print the .pdf to her locally attached printer.  The network copier/printer has authentication and it has been entered in MS word for her to print and saved so that other apps print just fine.  I have noticed that when she sends a .pdf print job to the copier, I see that it appears that the print job went correctly.  When I checked the log files on the network copier/printer is shows the print job that was sent to it but deleted it.  This happens in MS word when the wrong code was entered into the driver.  I have looked through all the settings before I send the print job but see no where to enter the users code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded a redacted version (most of the files that will not print has sensitive info), but the redacted version still won't print so I think it is ok.

now that I uploaded to the files.acrobat.com, don't know how to let you know where to find it?

I have to look for the ones that show text boxes.  again, it is an invoice with sensitive data, so not sure if I want to "share"...  but I'll have to find it first.

I also sent similar files to Dov Isaacs (also listed as Staff) in the beginning of this thread.  perhaps you can contact him and get the files as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Running on an iMac with latest version of Mavericks. Can print with any application (including Adobe applications) except for Acrobat.  I can actually print the PDF's through Mac "Preview" so that is my current workaround. Seems like an obvious issue with Acrobat since no other programs have issues. My issue just started last week. Took me a few days of headaches to sit down and really troubleshoot the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2014 Mar 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all of you having this problem, try this, I found it by accident.

Make sure you have the latest version of Acrobat Reader installed. (not sure if this helps but this was one of the things I just did)

Instead of selecting file / print on a pdf file or a web pdf file (in safari)  hit shortcut CMD P it brings up a different printer window ( the one from  reader)  normally when I hit file print, the preview window is blank, but when I hit CMD P the reader preview window shows the contents and allows me to print.

STRANGE BUT TRUE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found this solution on another board, I tried it  (I removed the same file listed below) and it worked for me.... 

Safari won’t save or print PDFs: how to fix

:: Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 @ 5:29:46 am

:: Tags: Computers

If Safari won’t save or print PDFs (but views them without any problems), you probably have an Adobe PDF plug-in installed. In Safari, go to Help->Installed Plug-ins and do a search for “PDF.” If you have anything with “PDF” in it other than “WebKit built-in PDF,” that is probably the culprit.

On my computer, the problem was “AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin”. To remove it, I quit Safari, did a Spotlight search (Command-Option space) for that file name, and then dragged it to the trash. When I restarted Safari, I could print and save PDFs again. You can also manually find the plugins by going to the system “Library”  folder (the one at the root of your hard disk, not in your user folder) and looking in the “Internet Plug-Ins” folder.

I’m on OS X 10.8.2, running Safari 6.0.2 (8536.26.17).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you have selected "choose paper source by PDF page size" option in print dialog then please deselect this option and try printing again.

Let me know in case you still observe the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, to limit confusion, the inability to print has nothing to do with any browser.  it's inability of Acrobat Pro XI to print a PDF file that is saved on the HDD, while Preview can print it.

"choose paper source by PDF page size" is not selected.

still won't print.

now most of the PDF files generated by the OS (save to PDF) will not print using Acrobat XI pro.  it will still print under Preview.

just generated the PDF of Turbotax output, and Acrobat XI pro will not print. but Preview will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2014 Apr 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Acrobat NOT printing (and safari pdf as well).  I thought it was because it defaulted to the Adobe Print INterface

but the problem was the file referenced above. Delete it restart the program and it works.

Find this file and delete it AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT A RELIEF!  That fixed my printing problem as well!  Thank you for posting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines